Easiest way to split th ooma ethernet port out

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
eyekutr
Easiest way to split th ooma ethernet port out

Post by eyekutr » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:50 pm

Hey fellas. I need to split my ethernet signal out of the ooma. I need to route the signal into a linksys befsr41....then the signal outputs need to go to a linksys wrt54g wirless router and a netgear wireless router. Is this doable ? For obvious reasons, I should not put the wired router in front of the ooma right? Just for clarification, I have this working perfectly so far: cable modem, ethernet cable goes out to ooma, phone line connects to home, and ethernet port comes out to a single wrt54g wireless router. This router happens to be 80 feet away and the cable is run through walls. Thanks in advance everyone.

daet

Re: Easiest way to split th ooma ethernet port out

Post by daet » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:37 pm

eyekutr wrote:Hey fellas. I need to split my ethernet signal out of the ooma. I need to route the signal into a linksys befsr41....then the signal outputs need to go to a linksys wrt54g wirless router and a netgear wireless router. Is this doable ? For obvious reasons, I should not put the wired router in front of the ooma right? Just for clarification, I have this working perfectly so far: cable modem, ethernet cable goes out to ooma, phone line connects to home, and ethernet port comes out to a single wrt54g wireless router. This router happens to be 80 feet away and the cable is run through walls. Thanks in advance everyone.
You can put the Ooma behind the wired router (and if necessary, hang the wireless router also off the wired router - in parallel to the Ooma).
Ooma customer since April 2009
Ooma equipment: Hub ; Telo + 4 handsets
Ooma service: Annual Premier subscription

hpepper

Post by hpepper » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:40 am

eyekutr wrote:....then the signal outputs need to go to a linksys wrt54g wirless router and a netgear wireless router. Is this doable ?
Just curious - why do you need to go out to two wireless routers? You can't really "split" an ethernet connection. You can't run two devices off of one port. You can split wires on a cable, but that isn't what it sounds like what you are talking about.

Do your wirless routers have hardwire connections? You could essentially connect one wireless router into antothe.

niknak

Post by niknak » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:48 am

that's what I was thinking, if you need more ports you can add a switch, if you need more range for the wireless you can add antennas or access points

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:56 am

Not sure if the is what the OP has in mind but you can turn some routers into wireless extenders by running in WDS mode with DHCP turned off. I have an extra WRT54g I use for this purpose.