Changing configuration

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
foxkid
Changing configuration

Post by foxkid » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:08 pm

My configuration is, like many, complicated. :)

I started out without a landline connected. I think this was a mistake.

What I want to do, I think, is

1) re-configure the OOMA Hub with a landline connected, and use it for a few days to gain confidence.
2) have the phone number ported to OOMA, and disconnect the land line.
3) use OOMA in a configuration without a landline.

How do I do this?

-- Carl (OOMA customer since yesterday)

southsound

Re: Changing configuration

Post by southsound » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:14 pm

First off, welcome to ooma and to the forums, Carl. In answer to your question, you did right by configuring your system to NOT work with a landline. Using it with an integrated landline makes all incoming and local/800 outgoing travel over your landline. Not a good way to tell how it will work when it is your only phone line. Try the system for a while as a standalone system. After you have made any needed tweaks (we're good at helping you here) to maximize performance, you will be able to make the decision if you want to port. At that time, do the appropriate paperwork with ooma and when the port completes your ooma number will be replaced with your old landline number.

Be aware that if you use DSL there is another issue - you need to have the telco "dry loop" your DSL service or when the port completes your DSL will go away too. Again, we can help with information on how to do this.

Additional questions always come up and we're happy to help! :cool:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

niknak

Post by niknak » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:17 pm

I agree with Southsound, it is actually easier to shakedown everything without the added potential problem of integrating the landline

foxkid

Post by foxkid » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:27 pm

I'll work with it as it is, but if I had configured it for landline, then I would be able to run over the two lines I have the house wired for now, the Hub line and the Scout line, and when calls come in on the landline, they would be routed through the Hub.

Instead, I'll leave the Scout out of the system, run the landline on my internal line1, and use the Hub line for my internal line2.

That should be good enough. It doesn't use the full ooma capability, the that should be a short-term problem.

-- Carl

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:10 pm

You could always put call forwarding on your landline and forward all calls to your ooma number.

Wayne