Premier refund and account cancelation

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
richd
Premier refund and account cancelation

Post by richd » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:37 am

Anyone know if I can cancel my account and get a refund for the Premier service. We are tired of dealing with the phone support folks lying to us and we just want to get off this service and back onto Vonage. :x :x :x

feartheturtle

Re: Premier refund and account cancelation

Post by feartheturtle » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:08 am

richd -
I looked at your previous post, and hopefully either Bobby or Dennis will help you out. They should be able to expedite a call from the right person in the service group. From the looks of your previous post your hub (and phone service) must have worked for some time, correct? Has anything at all changed in your setup? There are other people here who are better suited to help with setup questions and trouble-shooting.

richd

Post by richd » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:16 am

I would love to get it working properly and have been on the phone for no less than 2+ hours with different Tier 1 support people that keep telling me I will get a call back that never happens. If I can get a call back and get this straightened out, we would be happy.

The system worked great. Then we went camping for a weekend and came home to a solid red light. Did the troubleshooting as I am a Network Engineer. Power cycled, changed cables, moved to a different switch in the house (yes, I have more than one...), put the hub directly after the cable modem - and all the same results, solid red light. Then about a week later, I power cycled it again and it worked and this was back in the original place like it was connected from day one. Two days ago I get a call from my wife saying it is solid red again and she is fed up. We are trying to sell a house right now and having an unreliable phone system is not helping matters.

When it comes right down to it - I have a solid internet connection, the network is wired with CAT5e per industry standards with gigabit throughout...the hub is bad and needs to be replaced. I have been waiting for about three weeks to get this issue resolved. I heard it would take over a week to receive a new hub if and when they decide it needs to be replaced.

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:31 am

Log into the hub by connecting a computer to the home port and going to http://setup.ooma.com.
Go to the network page and select Dynamic DHCP and Use built in MAC address.
Click update.
Power cycle whatever device is connected to the modem port of the hub.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

richd

Post by richd » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:33 am

Is this a common problem? Can't have the phone system going down every couple weeks because it can't renew its IP address with the router.

I will try this tonight when I get home.

feartheturtle

Post by feartheturtle » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:35 am

You have my sympathies - hopefully Bobby or Dennis can step in and lend a hand. There is no way to make you feel better - but circumstances really dealt you a bad hand just when ooma support has been stretched by both the Telo roll-out and the major website revision. Good luck - I hope things work for you such that you don't find yourself back at Vonage.

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:44 am

The problem is that a cable modem remembers the first MAC address that connects after power on and will not allow any other MAC address to connect. This is how the cable company prevents you from getting more IP addresses than you are paying for.
The ooma hub defaults to automatic for the modem port MAC address. In all other routers this is referred to as MAC cloning and has not been necessary for many years. All other routers default MAC cloning to off. Anyway the hub starts out using it's built in MAC address and it gets registered with the cable modem. Subsequently you connect something to the home port and the hub in it's infinite wisdom decides it will use the MAC address of the box that just connected (ie. clone). It presents this MAC address to the cable modem and the cable modem says sorry - not allowed. At that point the connection is blocked.

ooma could save themselves a whole lot of grief if they changed the default to use the built-in MAC address instead of automatic.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

richd

Post by richd » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:57 am

That is interesting. But in my configuration I am using the ooma hub on the inside of my wireless router. Only the modem port is connected (except when I was troubleshooting the issue). So it should not be an ARP table issue with the MAC address of the Ooma hub changing since nothing is getting connected to the LAN side.

richd

Post by richd » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:03 am

feartheturtle wrote:You have my sympathies - hopefully Bobby or Dennis can step in and lend a hand. There is no way to make you feel better - but circumstances really dealt you a bad hand just when ooma support has been stretched by both the Telo roll-out and the major website revision. Good luck - I hope things work for you such that you don't find yourself back at Vonage.
I do hope that Bobby or Dennis so contact me. They can post me and I will PM them my direct line. I do not have the open ticket numbers with me right now. Will post them tonight.

I understand support is pulled in multiple directions but if a customer is always hearing 24 - 72 hour call back for a unit that is dead - then you should call them back in that time. I mean they are just closing tickets without resolution. That is terrible business and will be the downfall of Ooma. Remember what was the biggest complaint about Vonage in the beginning and they straightened up. Hopefully Ooma will see the light too that they cannot just blow off customer issues especially with we are putting our a couple hundred bucks for the unit and then paying another $100 in service up front to find out the unit dies after a few weeks and we have no recourse but to trash it all and go back to our previous provider.

Dennis P
Ooma Moderator

Post by Dennis P » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:45 am

Please email me - I can't find your account in the system based on the email address in your profile. I'll have someone give you a call. Thanks.