Ooma Hub v. Ooma Telo

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
jkennett
Ooma Hub v. Ooma Telo

Post by jkennett » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:56 am

I purchased the Ooma hub and a scout approx. 12 months ago. Now the Telo has come out which seems to be the same thing but includes handsets? Are those who purchased hubs, out that investment if they want the Telo? Is there any value in running these two systems together? Will Ooma provide a credit or discount for Hub users who want the Telo? It appears to me that a new customer will have an ideal choice: if they like their existing phone system they purchase the hub.....if they want a new phone system with their hub than they purchase the Telo. As with most new technologies, the early adopters are usually the one's who invest in "evolving" product plans with "evolving" pricing and functionality. I love the Ooma service but need a new phone system. Kind of stupid to purchase Ooma to avoid phone bills, just to spend the same amount upgrading to various new products.

hpepper

Re: Ooma Hub v. Ooma Telo

Post by hpepper » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:02 pm

Well, the Telo doesn't include handsets... you have to purchase tose separately for $49.99 - at least for now. The Telo uses the wireless handset for the second line... That is, you can't hook a second line up to the Telo. The Scout does the second line on the Hub and Scout model. I don't think you should assume the Telo is the best way to go - you need to compare what is best for you. Also, here is a comparison of the two systems:

https://www.ooma.com/products/ooma-hub/compare

Leeway

Post by Leeway » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:05 pm

I'm sure there are a lot of hub owners who 'wish' there had been a special trade-in deal for current hub owners to switch to the Telo.

Alas, that isn't going to happen so it is a matter of keeping both, giving one to a family member, or reverting to Ebay.

hpepper

Post by hpepper » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:08 pm

Leeway wrote:I'm sure there are a lot of hub owners who 'wish' there had been a special trade-in deal for current hub owners to switch to the Telo.

Alas, that isn't going to happen so it is a matter of keeping both, giving one to a family member, or reverting to Ebay.
I agree, but from what I've read on the forums, there quite a few owners of both right now that like the Hub/Scout set up better then the Telo, so...

Zindar

Post by Zindar » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:13 pm

Somebody in another forum (to be specific, it was the ooma forum over on Amazon.com) told me that now that Telo is out, the original Ooma will soon be no longer sold, so that if I wanted the original ooma/scout model, I better buy it soon, while supplies exist, it can still be bought.

I acted on this guy's advice and nabbed the ooma/scout via Amazon that very night I read his message. (I had already researched, and decided I'd be happier with this instead of with Telo.)

Was this guy correct, or are both models going to continue to be manufactured and sold?

hpepper

Post by hpepper » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:15 pm

I have heard the Hub/Scout is on the way out and Telo replaces it.

Leeway

Post by Leeway » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:19 pm

[quote="hpepper

I agree, but from what I've read on the forums, there quite a few owners of both right now that like the Hub/Scout set up better then the Telo, so...[/quote]

Hmmmm, Can't say that I blame them. I don't know if it is fair to judge whether you prefer the hub versus the Telo when the Telo is really incomplete without its other half. For me, the test of the pudding will be putting the Telo handset into use. I think that's where the huge new benefit is going to be. The Telo base does it better, but same features everyone already had with the hub.

doug

Post by doug » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:05 pm

Leeway wrote:The Telo base does it better, but same features everyone already had with the hub.
If you mean the hub without a scout, then I'd agree. If there is no need for a scout, I think the Telo would be the device of choice (even without handsets). The scout paradigm still has value though in at least a couple of scenarios:

1) Non-shared device to front-end wired equipment such as a fax machine
2) Giving full ooma capabilities to an area beyond DECT 6.0 coverage from the Telo base

Some may argue the differences in T&C are also significant, but IMHO premiere is the only way to go whether it is $99/yr or $10/mth, and whether or not there is also a $12 fee. Even at $11/mth ($9.99 plus $1 average fee), I think premiere is worth more than it costs.

Leeway

Post by Leeway » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:41 pm

Doug, I was referring to the Telo. I think using it with the handset is going to change some minds as to whether to change from the ooma hub to the Telo. Right now, if you have a Telo, you certainly have made some improvements but.... people look for convienience, gadgetry, technology etc. I think a Telo without the Telo handset is an incomplete comparison to the ooma hub and it leaves questions as to whether to invest in a Telo. In my opinion, they should have been released together to get the full picture. Right now, if you are using a Telo, you simply don't have it all. :(

scoutconnor

Post by scoutconnor » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:20 am

According to either Bobby B or Dennis P, both sets of units wlil continue to be sold.