Locating the ooma hub remotely

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Whozurdady
Locating the ooma hub remotely

Post by Whozurdady » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:20 pm

Has anyone located the hub in a different location than your network devices? Here's my situation and what I'd like to do. If anyone can shed some light on this, your insight would be appreciated.

I have a media closet in my family room where my cable connection comes into the house (I have phone service through my cable company). In there is my cable modem that has an RJ-11 output port for my phone which is hardwired to my kitchen. Ooma instructions tell me to plug my ooma hub into the cable modem with the RJ-45 cable. This would require me to put the hub into that closet. I don't want to have to go into the family room closet to use or access the hub. I want to locate the hub in the kitchen. Does anyone know if the ooma hub can be located in another room and be connected with a standard phone line?

murphy

Re: Locating the ooma hub remotely

Post by murphy » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:02 pm

You can put the hub anywhere that you want as long as you have long enough cables. The connection from the hub to the cable modem is Cat-5E LAN cable, not phone wire. If you have a router in that closet, you would need two LAN cables. One from the cable modem and one to the router. You would only need a short phone cable to connect the phone to the hub. If you are using a scout or linking a landline to the hub (I didn't) there are more cables to run.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

songjc

Post by songjc » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:59 pm

Have you try to connect to setup.ooma.com? It's located 172.x.x.x subnet. Normally home network is 182.168.x.x. Do you know once you connect your router behind the ooma, network address changes to 172.x.x.x subnet?
Let me know

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:21 am

You can probably locate an ooma device in your kitchen by either placing the Hub there, and using Homeplug (powerline Ethernet adapters) OR you can locate an ooma Scout in your kitchen.
Bobby B

songjc

Post by songjc » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:28 pm

Have you try to connect to setup.ooma.com? It's located 172.x.x.x subnet. Normally home network is 192.168.x.x. Do you know once you connect your router behind the ooma, network address changes to 172.x.x.x subnet?
Let me know

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:50 am

I've connected my ooma hub on either side of the router and my network address (192.168.5.xxx) has not been affected.

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:07 am

WayneDsr wrote:I've connected my ooma hub on either side of the router and my network address (192.168.5.xxx) has not been affected.

Wayne
He's talking about the WAN address of your router, not the LAN address.
Without ooma ahead of your router, it has a public IP address. With ooma ahead of your router, it has a private IP address issued by ooma and the ooma has the public IP address.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx