Using OOMA with Wired Phones and existing vm from Panasonic

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
atomarchio
Using OOMA with Wired Phones and existing vm from Panasonic

Post by atomarchio » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:19 pm

I currently have Time Warner Phone service and interested in switching to OOMA. However, my router is in the basement and adding a phone there is a waste because we are not down there. Also, I don't have any wired ethernet connections available in the kitchen where we would want to check our voicemail. We have a Panasonic Base plugged into the wall in the kitchen were we check our voicemail.

Is it possible to use the remote access feature of my existing Panasonic to get voicemail once I begin using OOMA? It rings 4 times and then I enter a code to get our messages when we're not home.

If I add OOMA in the basement connected to my router and then main phone line which feeds all of the other wired the phones in the house, do I still need the Scout? Or can I just plug my wired phones direcly into the jack with OOMA? I use jacks in the kitchen (Panasonic Base unit for Voicemail), garage, and home office (OOMA would be the home line but I have 2nd line through AT&T for business) Not to mention, all of these wired phones are mounted and it would look messy to have the OOMA scout hanging from each wall jack.

I don't want to buy the premiere package and then 4 of the scounts for every wired phone connection. Was thinking I could buy the old OOMA if still available but not sure about the wired phones I have.

Please let me know. Thanks.

southsound

Re: Using OOMA with Wired Phones and existing vm from Panasonic

Post by southsound » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:37 pm

You can use the ooma system to power your entire house by using the phone output on the hub or Telo. Neither system currently passes DTMF inbound so don't count on using your remote pickup on the Pany answering machine. If you do buy the hub/scout package it currently does come with free voicemail and you can use it by calling your own number to retrieve messages - or you could add the scout to the kitchen as a voicemail station. Again, all the phones will work fine off he phone port on the hub. More questions, let us know. We're happy to help!
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Leeway

Post by Leeway » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:43 pm

I don't have any phone at all plugged into my ooma hub due to where it is located. I just have the hub itself plugged into the router and the wall jack.

In turn, all of my Panasonic cordless phones work just fine. The base and the other cordless handsets all due what they should. I have my cordless phone set to use its answer machine on 4 rings and the ooma hub is set to pick up at 6 rings. I can't call my ooma to get messages this way but I can hear recorded messages from my system on any of my handsets. If I go away, I simply turn off my answer machine in order to pick up messages remotely.

atomarchio

Post by atomarchio » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:06 am

I have 4 phones which connect via jack (Kitchen, Office, Garage, Basement). The phone in the kitchen which connects to the jack is the basement for another 5 cordless phones (Upstairs, 2 in Master, 1 Family Room, 1 Basement) which would give me a total of 9 phones in the house.

I have 3 questions I need answered and then I am going to purchase.

Does OOMA support all of the 9 phones in my house then?

Is there any way to get my voicemails remotely with the old OOMA and not buying the premiere package? I can get my wife to agree to switch to OOMA but she requires access to her messages when she is not home. She does not care if voicemail is provided by OOMA or the panasonic phone as long as she can get them remotely. The more I read on these forums about voicemail and remote access, the more confused I get.

Does the old OOMA include caller ID name and number?

Please let me know. Thank you.

feartheturtle

Post by feartheturtle » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:50 am

atomarchio - welcome to the forums!

The ooma hub should be able to supply dial tone to the number of phones you describe (especially since the 5 wireless are only seen as one by the ooma). By the way, if you use the older wireless phones you might experience interference with your wireless router, should you have one. The newer DECT 6.0 phones work better in that regard.

With the ooma hub system (or hub/scout combination) you can access voice-mail remotely, but only if using the ooma voice-mail. If you elect to use a home voice-mail system (such as what might be built into your wireless base) you can not pick up those messages remotely. The only exception to the ooma voice-mail options with the hub systems is if you are re-activating service to a hub after Oct. 01 (in other words - a used hub gifted to you or purchased from eBay, etc). In that case you very likely will not have voice-mail as part of your basic package.

The ooma hub will support caller ID & name, but you may not have the CID name if you are re-activating service to a hub after Oct. 01. In that case you will only get the CID number.

Good luck!

atomarchio

Post by atomarchio » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:20 am

If I buy the new system, how much would it cost per month/year to get voicemail, remote access to voicemail, and CID name.

feartheturtle

Post by feartheturtle » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:51 am

Check out the information here - - > http://www.ooma.com/blog/2009/10/02/
The blog posting lists all the current permutations.
And more information here - - > http://www.ooma.com/legal/rates

atomarchio

Post by atomarchio » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:56 am

Is it possible to only buy remote access to voicemail and Called ID number and name ala carte? I read somewhere that may be an option although I don't see that information in the link. Perhaps that was the old model.

Is this is an option? If so, how much would that cost?

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:34 am

atomarchio wrote:Is it possible to only buy remote access to voicemail and Called ID number and name ala carte? I read somewhere that may be an option although I don't see that information in the link. Perhaps that was the old model.

Is this is an option? If so, how much would that cost?

All the a la carte info is in the second link feartheturtle posted, this one: https://www.ooma.com/legal/rates
You can add VM to Telo basic but not CallerID Name. CID-Name for Telo requires Premier.

atomarchio

Post by atomarchio » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:53 am

Is it stil possible to buy the OOMA Hub at a local retailer with the voicemail included? Would'nt any OOMA Hub product I buy have the voicemail included in the basic plan? If not, how can I tell that the OOMA Hub I am buying will have the voicemail included in the basic plan.

I am ready to buy this product (OOMA Hub with voicemail included in basic) but not sure how to do this now. If I go to a local store or online dealer and get the product, how I can confirm that it will have voicemail/remote access to voicemail?

Please let me know what I can do to make sure I order the correct OOMA Hub with voicemail included.