"Hairy" Voices

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
davek
"Hairy" Voices

Post by davek » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:41 am

Hi:

Real new to Oooma, like within the last couple hours. Love it!

As with many of you, we are testing to see if the Oooma will replace the Qwest for us. So we have made a few calls, and asked people how tings are on the other end.

Everyone has said it sounds "hairy". So my wife called me and I listened. There is a bit of static or something around the outbound voice, and only when the person is talking. When the person is quiet, it is dead silent. This is the Oooma hub, if that matters.

Inbound (what we hear) is perfect. no problem.

Tech details- using the Qwest DSL, 1.5 down, 896 up. Oooma is after the modem, before the router. I have an "electronics" closet down stairs, so all this is in there. The Oooma then is hooked back into the home phone system, and our phone is hooked up to a scout. FWIW, I did this as a test when the machine first came in at WORK, Oooma hub DIRECT into that Modem and tested with a bussines partner; she thought it sounded hairy, too.)

So I had one other question, too. If we decide to upgrade the Oooma hub to a Telco, and I put that Telco in the basement closet, will I still need the scout upstairs, or is the Telco somehow magical that way? I just ask because there is no Telco version of the Scout... and other than the aesthetics, is there any other real reason to get a Telco?

Thanks!

DaK

davek

Re: "Hairy" Voices

Post by davek » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:48 am

Here, I found this.... this is a test from my LAPTOP, which is connected wirelessly to my network BEHIND the Oooma. Oh, and STUPID me, I was checking e-mail while running the test. FWIW, the thing gave me all green lights....

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 5.9 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 7.8 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.9

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 1292112 bps
Upload speed: 768136 bps
Download quality of service: 95 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 47 ms
Average download pause: 9 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 68 ms
Average round trip time to server: 71 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 1292112bps
Route concurrency: 1.0
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 7710000bps

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:03 am

I know you mentioned the Hub, but are you using the scout? The reason I ask is many people have reported static on the non-ooma side of the call when using the scout. Try connecting your phone directly to the hub's phone port and see if that helps. If you're not using the scout then please disregard this post.

Edit: Wow, I really need to read the whole post before I respond... Yes, my guess is this is a scout issue.
Go AVS!

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:13 am

You may be better off upgrading to the Telo since its handsets use DECT 6 to communicate with the base as opposed to the scout which uses HPNA. I was never able to get rid if the static using the scout (and if you search the forum you'll find many others with the same issue). You can try connecting the scout directly to the Hub and make a call just to eliminate the possibility that it is your house wiring but in my case this did not help.

If you don't use the second line feature you really don't need the scout. If you make sure you're disconnected from the street's wiring (POTS line physically disconnected, see here http://michigantelephone.workbench.net/) then you can connect the Hub's PHONE port to the house wiring and then plug use your phones like you normally do. What I did was to connect my PHONE Port to the line 1 house wiring and my WALL port to my line 2 wiring. That way I can connect all my phones directly to the Hub via the line 1 wiring and have one phone/scout connected to my line 2 wiring in case I need the second line and to use the scouts Voicemail abilities. Those little L1, L2, L1+L2 splitters come in real handy for this configuration!
Go AVS!

davek

Post by davek » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:21 am

Thanks Aveamantium for your help. I am an idjut as far as wiring. Let me tell you what I have, and see if I can mod this to work well.

Right now, I have Qwest to a box outside my house. This connects to the wires IN my house. I ADDED a home-run in parallel (I think!) to the house wiring direct to the DSL Modem in my electronics closet downstairs. When I added the OOOma, I used the splitter from the Home run, and then INTO OOOma and The DSL modem. The DSL Modem Ethernet then also goes INTO OOOma.

Here is what I THINK you are telling me to do. Have the line from Qwest ONLY go to the Basement, removing the parallel wiring INTO the house (bear with me on this!). At the basement, continue the split to both DSL and Oooma. Then run a new REVERSE Homerun FROM the basement (from the Oooma "Home" output) to the now disconnected house wiring (splicing the reverse HR into the now disconnected house wiring). Thus the Oooma would be running the whole house w/o having the Qwest also there. FWIW, running this reverse wire would NOT be a problem- take maybe ten minutes. Take me longer to go buy the cords and splicers at Home depot.

I know that all sounds a bit convoluted, but the wiring is real easy for me to do. If that is the wiring scheme you are suggesting.

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:49 am

Just to make sure it is the scout, first try connecting a phone directly to the Phone Port on the Hub and make a test call. If this fixes the problem then additional wiring is probably the solution.

DSL does throw a wrench into the system... If you are only using the Qwest line for internet (Dry loop) then I'd suggest isolating this from your phone lines if possible. I'm sure you're saying the same thing but I'd suggest connecting only the modem to the active Qwest Line if possible (isolate this from the rest of your system). Then connect the Ooma directly to the modem or behind the router (your decision, don't know if you have a router?). From here use either the house wiring (if isolated from the Qwest Line) or a separate run from the "Phone" port on the Hub to the house phone. You can do the same for the scout by running another line or using the house's second line pair (assuming your house is pre-wired with two pair wiring) from the "Wall" port. Following this you can connect your LAN to the "Home" port (if the Hub is connected directly behind the modem) or just connect the LAN to the router (if the Hub is connected behind a router).

Unfortunatley, I'm a little out of my element on this as I don't use DSL and can't see your setup so maybe someone else can jump in that has experience with DSL?
Go AVS!

davek

Post by davek » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:25 pm

OK, so I did the wiring like I guessed, which is what you suggested... I think. The scout started glowing RED instead of Blue. So I played around some more, and discovered it worked best if taking the "WALL" from Oooma back to the house wiring. I dunno why, but it works, and that is what matters.

So scout is bright blue again, calls sound better. I have the addition problem of some calls being dropped after ten minutes (separate post), we will see if this resolves that problem.

But so far, looking good!

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:31 pm

The scout has to be connected to the "WALL" port on the hub in order to work (either directly or via the house wiring). However if you connect the "PHONE" port to the house wiring you should be able to eliminate the scout entirely and connect a normal phone to any port in the house.
Go AVS!

davek

Post by davek » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:43 pm

But then how would I get messages (other than the web?)

FWIW, I just ordered a Telco and a handset to replace the Hub and Scout, so maybe it will be better at that point.

But for now, sound quality is definitely improved. I ran that VoIP line test, got .02% Jitter and 98% QoS, so I am good to go now!

Oh, and sorry, I forgot something!

Thank you Aveamantium for your help!

davek

Post by davek » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:50 pm

Ohhhh baby! Check out these numbers:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.4 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 4.3 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %