PORTING NIGHTMARE!!!

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
bw1
Re: PORTING NIGHTMARE!!!

Post by bw1 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:23 am

purc1234 wrote:
bw1 wrote:As stated in the documentation, you need to connect the wall port on the back of the Ooma Hub or Telo to the wall jack in your house to supply dialtone from your existing provider to the Ooma.
We currently have digital phone with Time Warner so our cable modem is an integrated 'cable modem/phone hub'. It drives (sources) the wall jack which supplies signal to the rest of the wall jacks in our house. Are you suggesting that I take the "phone" output from the cable modem and feed this into the OOMA hub and connect the wall port (output) from the OOMA hub to the the wall jack?
You could try that or an even better option, what Groundhound said.

purc1234

Post by purc1234 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:25 am

Groundhound wrote:Since your "landline" is actually cable VoIP, I would call customer service an get them to change from landline integration to stand alone with a temporary Ooma number.
Okay, but then what happens if someone calls our current phone number (TimeWarner)? If I change it to stand-alone, wouldn't this remove our current VoIP number from the picture? I'm not going to email all our friends and tell them to call a "temp" phone number if they want to talk to us.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:27 am

purc1234 wrote:
Groundhound wrote:Since your "landline" is actually cable VoIP, I would call customer service an get them to change from landline integration to stand alone with a temporary Ooma number.
Okay, but then what happens if someone calls our current phone number (TimeWarner)? If I change it to stand-alone, wouldn't this remove our current cable VoIP number from the picture? I'm not going to email all our friends and tell them to call a "temp" phone number if they want to talk to us.
Forward your TWC number to your Ooma number.

purc1234

Post by purc1234 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:29 am

Groundhound wrote:Forward your TWC number to your Ooma number.
And what would doing all this gain me? It would change the little light on the hub from red to blue. I would still be waiting for the port to complete before I could drop TimeWarner. I don't see the benefit. ;)

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:31 am

purc1234 wrote:
Groundhound wrote:Forward your TWC number to your Ooma number.
And what would doing all this gain me? It would change the little light on the hub from red to blue. I would still be waiting for the port to complete before I could drop TimeWarner. I don't see the benefit. ;)
Your Ooma Hub has never ID'd itself on the Ooma network - it doesn't exist, possible that may have something to do with the port delay.

purc1234

Post by purc1234 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:36 am

Groundhound wrote:Your Ooma Hub has never ID'd itself on the Ooma network - it doesn't exist, possible that may have something to do with the port delay.
Hmmm...that's an interesting thought. Maybe I'll give it a try; couldn't hurt I guess. Thanks.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:39 am

purc1234 wrote:
Groundhound wrote:Your Ooma Hub has never ID'd itself on the Ooma network - it doesn't exist, possible that may have something to do with the port delay.
Hmmm...that's an interesting thought. Maybe I'll give it a try; couldn't hurt I guess. Thanks.
Once you get it working, I'd ask Ooma to re-submit the port LOA.

purc1234

Post by purc1234 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:19 pm

I just got off the phone with OOMA support. When I asked for a temp number, the support person told me I can use my existing number (TimeWarner VoIP) until the port finishes. I was surprised to hear that. I can't say I understand that but he said I should get a blue light on the hub without a temp number and even before the porting completes.

Can anyone explain that?

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:24 pm

It was already explained.
Connect a phone wire from the Wall jack on the hub to your existing phone line that you are porting from.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

stevenp

Post by stevenp » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:08 pm

murphy wrote:It was already explained.
Connect a phone wire from the Wall jack on the hub to your existing phone line that you are porting from.
This doesn't make total sense to me. I'm looking to port 2 numbers from my current VOIP service. Does this mean I have to keep BOTH my current VOIP box and the Hub hooked up to my modem, and connect the "existing phone line" from my VOIP box to the Wall jack on the Hub???? :?: