Removing credit card information

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
Ham
Removing credit card information

Post by Ham » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:32 pm

Does anyone know how I may delete my credit card (CC) info from my Ooma account? I would prefer to enter it when needed. I purchased some international minutes and now I cannot remove my CC information from the account.

Thanks

murphy

Re: Removing credit card information

Post by murphy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:43 pm

The Terms Of Service require that you keep a valid credit or debit card number on file.

https://www.ooma.com/legal/terms-and-conditions
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Ham

Post by Ham » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:05 pm

Thanks. I guess I should have read the T & A first before buying into this disappointing service.

southsound

Post by southsound » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:34 pm

Ham wrote:Thanks. I guess I should have read the T & A first before buying into this disappointing service.
Is the fact that ooma keeps your credit card information on file the source of your disappointment or is there some other issue we might be able to help you sort out?
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

MikeekiM

Post by MikeekiM » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:38 pm

Ham wrote:Thanks. I guess I should have read the T & A first before buying into this disappointing service.
Wow...that's a strong statement... What are you disappointed with?

Count me as someone who loves the service... Sound quality is clear, volume is nice and loud... My only big issue is that I have had several dropped calls over the last couple of months, whereas I can't remember the last time AT&T dropped a call on me... It's doesn't happen multiple times a day...but it is often enough that it no longer surprises me...

But I don't have critical calls where hanging up and redialing is a problem...and I save a lot of money...even with my subscription to lifetime premier... :)
Customer Since: August 2009
Ooma Hardware: Ooma Telo (Original Legacy Hub/Scout Customer)
Ooma Service: Premier Lifetime (Since October 2009)

Ham

Post by Ham » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:39 am

This is the second issue I've had in the short period (less than two months) I've purchase Ooma. But holding unto my credit card info without a reason, in my opinion, is very suspicious. I've had unauthorized charges on my card in the past from companies holding my information without my permission that took months and lots of wasted time to clear. So I don't trust companies that hold customers' hostage. If I sign up for Premier, which I probably won't now, I could understand wanting to hold a credit card. But I have the free service and would have purchased international calls as needed. Now I have another company holding my credit card and I have to check every month for fear that you charge my for services I didn't order or your LAPTOP with my credit card info gets stolen. Why do you need to hold my credit card info?

jmassimilla

Post by jmassimilla » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:22 am

Ham wrote:This is the second issue I've had in the short period (less than two months) I've purchase Ooma. But holding unto my credit card info without a reason, in my opinion, is very suspicious. I've had unauthorized charges on my card in the past from companies holding my information without my permission that took months and lots of wasted time to clear. So I don't trust companies that hold customers' hostage. If I sign up for Premier, which I probably won't now, I could understand wanting to hold a credit card. But I have the free service and would have purchased international calls as needed. Now I have another company holding my credit card and I have to check every month for fear that you charge my for services I didn't order or your LAPTOP with my credit card info gets stolen. Why do you need to hold my credit card info?
This is the third voip service that I've been involved in. Both of the previous companies, Verizon Voicewing and Vonage required credit card numbers to be kept on file. They were used for monthly charges and to replenish international calling accounts. I never had a problem with any of them as far as unauthorized charges were concerned. I also pay my Verizon Fios and wireless bills the same way.
Customer since Feb 2009
2 Hub/Scout
1 Telo/Handset
Lifetime Premier Subscriber

jazzyone

Post by jazzyone » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:33 am

I may be wrong but I don't believe you have to enter a cc number with the core system. The only reason I had to enter a number was because I purchased the Premier Service. Otherwise it would have been blank.

allo

Post by allo » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:44 am

jazzyone wrote:I may be wrong but I don't believe you have to enter a cc number with the core system. The only reason I had to enter a number was because I purchased the Premier Service. Otherwise it would have been blank.
Now that the subject was brought up, they will probably check to make sure everyone has his/her CC on file.

4 Billing and Payments

* (a) In order to purchase Equipment or activate Services from us, you must be at least 18 years old and are required to provide us with a valid email address and a credit or debit card number from a card issuer that we accept ("Issuer"), together with the billing address for the card. We reserve the right to stop accepting credit or debit cards from one or more Issuers. If your credit or debit card expires, you close your account, your billing address changes, or your credit or debit card is cancelled and replaced on account of loss or theft, you must advise us at once and provide new credit or debit card information or we may terminate Service to you. You acknowledge and agree that you authorize us and that we do not need to obtain any additional authorization from you for any recurring payments, automatic billing options or updated credit card or debit card information provided by your credit card or debit card company to us. Your account will be automatically inactivated if you put a stop payment on your account with a financial institution in connection with payment of any of your monthly or annual charges.

tommies

Post by tommies » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:20 am

I use ShopSafe/Virtual CC number. Each number can only use with one merchant, and afterward, I just close the number. I use it every where(except swiping at point of sale terminal): on the net, over the phone, snail mail remitting stub, etc.

I don't have the option to tell the merchant to delete my CC info, but I have a way to make it un-usable.

You can do the same.
tommies