Billing name confusion in number porting?

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
cjones78
Billing name confusion in number porting?

Post by cjones78 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:20 am

I am in the process of getting my number ported to Ooma. I submitted my number porting information on the website on October 8th and received an email with the LOA immediately. However, I've yet to receive an email with an estimated date for the number port that I was supposed to receive within 5 business days. I happened to find out that the estimated date for number porting will be October 22nd when I called CS about a billing issue. I am hoping to receive an official confirmation email that the port will definitely take place on the 22nd, as well as the emails that are supposed to be received on the day of the number port.

I did find something strange though. My husband's name is on our current provider's (Comcast) phone bill, and I am porting the number to an Ooma account in my name. When I was filling out the number port application on the website, it asked for the name on current provider's bill, so I entered my husband's name. When I received the email with the LOA attached, the greeting was "Dear Patrick" (my husband's name). And when I was on the phone with CS, they were unable to find the number port status under my name, so I asked him to check under Patrick and there it was. I am hoping this whole name thing isn't what is screwing up me receiving the emails. And I am REALLY hoping it doesn't screw up the number porting process!

niknak

Re: Billing name confusion in number porting?

Post by niknak » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:40 am

...My husband's name is on our current provider's (Comcast) phone bill, and I am porting the number to an Ooma account in my name.. I am hoping this whole name thing isn't what is screwing up me receiving the emails. And I am REALLY hoping it doesn't screw up the number porting process!
An error like this could very well hold up the port, the names on the old account and the new account must match according to LNP rules

nwin

Post by nwin » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:42 am

I just did the same thing (phone bill is in my father's name while ooma account is in my name) a few days ago. So far, I have only received the LOA copy. I don't think there will be any problems since CS instructed me to fill out the form in much the same way cjones did. The CS rep actually made it seem like this was a common issue. Anyway, I hope both of our ports go through on-time and correctly. Keep us posted.

cjones78

Post by cjones78 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:58 am

niknak wrote:
An error like this could very well hold up the port, the names on the old account and the new account must match according to LNP rules
Ugh, don't tell me this! lol Where are the LNP rules you speak of? I just went back and read the LOA and the email that the LOA came attached to, and all it said was to make sure the following information was correct, because missing or incorrect information could cause delays. The information it wanted me to ensure was correct was the following: Phone Number to Port, Carrier, and Name on Phone Bill. All of this information is correct on the LOA, so I figured everything was cool. In fact, the LOA asks for electronic signatures for both the Ooma account holder AND the Account Owner of the Phone Bill, so I have to agree with nwin that this must be a common thing.

I am hoping Dennis or Bobby can chime in with some insight in regards to account names not matching during a number port. I am still holding out hope that I'll be receiving an email with the confirmed date of the number port.

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:02 pm

The data on the LOA form must match the account information that the phone company you are porting from has in their records or they don't have to do anything. Also if you have put a porting lock on your phone number, you must remove it or the port will not go through.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:39 pm

Hello,

In reviewing your account, your Letter of Agreement(LOA) was submitted to our carrier & we have a Requested Due Date(RDD) of 10/22. Our Porting team is working very hard to process many requests. It maybe that they are a little behind & the email notifications are backing up. Other thing I can think of is that the email may have gone to your spam or junk folder?

cjones78

Post by cjones78 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:53 pm

Thank you for the reply, ntoy! I just checked my spam folder and it was empty, so I guess the email notifications must be a little behind. I am sure things are pretty busy with the recent release of the Telo. Thanks again for checking my account and confirming the RDD of 10/22.

Also, I suppose there are no problems having different names being on the bill with our current provider and on the Ooma account?

scucura

Post by scucura » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:57 am

Maybe this will ease your mind a little... When I ported my number to OOMA I had a different name on the OOMA account than the one on the Bell South account I was porting. This did not seem to be an issue with the OOMA rep I spoke with. An issue I ran into, however, the was delayed by several weeks because I was initially told by the OOMA rep that since my Bell South account was paid automatically, electronically, and I did not have any copies of an actual bill I could simply provide the complete account number in lieu of the bill. After I submitted the request as directed and waiting a month for the port to complete I called back to OOMA and learned the truth, a copy of the bill is needed. I then called Bell South and setup web access to the account and downloaded a copy of a bill... a frustrating process in itself! The port took about two weeks from that point and was ultimately successful.

esl537

Post by esl537 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:43 pm

I started the number port today and came across the same problem- my wife's name is on the current phone bill while my name is on the ooma account. I called up customer service after I had set the port process in motion. The customer rep told me that the important match to be made is the name on the current phone bill and the LOA, which for me/us, it does. So I was told I would have no problems.

But just to be sure, I grilled the rep on whether my name on the ooma account not matching either the current phone bill or the LOA would matter. He unequivocally said, "No, it will not matter."

So I expect it should be smooth sailing from here.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:14 pm

Yes, you are fine. FYI, outgoing callerid would be provisioned using the name in your Ooma account profile.

Technically, you can even port in your mother in-law's number (even a complete stranger for that matter) as long as you had her permission and she gives you a copy of her phone bill for you to sumbit to the winning carrier.