Port 2 VOIP #'s with separate rings/VM?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
stevenp
Port 2 VOIP #'s with separate rings/VM?

Post by stevenp » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:14 pm

After reading my new Ooma manuals and searching these forums, I haven't come up with an answer, so I thought I'd ask here. Help?

Right now I have a VOIP service with two phone numbers (home and home office). One cordless phone is attached; each number has separate voicemail and a separate ringtone. I don't use any wall jacks--cordless base is plugged directly into my current VOIP box. [Configuration is: cable modem --> VOIP box --> wireless router, cordless base plugged into VOIP box]

In a nutshell, how do I set up my Ooma to continue these features? It is *critical* that service remain uninterrupted to my 2 phone lines, even while I'm waiting x weeks for the porting to be completed. Do I have to connect *both* my Hub and VOIP box to the cable modem, and hook them together (treating my VOIP box like a "landline"?) Or, can I submit my porting request for my 2 numbers, disconnect my VOIP box, and have my numbers work immediately thru the Hub alone? Or something else?

I'm hesitant to register online and configure/connect my Ooma Hub until I'm sure I have the right setup. So I'm not sure how easy/possible it will be to have the one phone ring differently for the 2 numbers, or have separate voicemail/greeting for each number. I don't want to use a Scout/second phone/wall jacks--just one phone to handle both lines. Can I do this?

Help?

AccuConference

Re: Port 2 VOIP #'s with separate rings/VM?

Post by AccuConference » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:32 pm

I am trying to do the same thing except I am trying to use the Scout.

I have a 4 line phone system and I am trying to plug the Hub into Line 1 and the Scout in Line 2.
It works on the inbound calls but the outbound calls are still going out from the Scout to through the Hub so its using the wrong number and sending the wrong caller id.

Also I have a question about Multi Ring on the two different numbers. I want Line one to multi ring my wife’s cell phone and Line 2 (scout) to ring my cell phone number. My number is business and my wife’s are different business. Need them separate ie I don’t want to take her business calls. I am only seeing one spot to enter multi ring and it doesn't differentiate between the numbers. Same for sending voice mails through the email. It doesn’t ask what phone numbers you want to receive voice mails from.

Hopefully someone has got this to work.

Jim

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:51 pm

stevenp wrote:After reading my new Ooma manuals and searching these forums, I haven't come up with an answer, so I thought I'd ask here. Help?

Right now I have a VOIP service with two phone numbers (home and home office). One cordless phone is attached; each number has separate voicemail and a separate ringtone. I don't use any wall jacks--cordless base is plugged directly into my current VOIP box. [Configuration is: cable modem --> VOIP box --> wireless router, cordless base plugged into VOIP box]

In a nutshell, how do I set up my Ooma to continue these features? It is *critical* that service remain uninterrupted to my 2 phone lines, even while I'm waiting x weeks for the porting to be completed. Do I have to connect *both* my Hub and VOIP box to the cable modem, and hook them together (treating my VOIP box like a "landline"?) Or, can I submit my porting request for my 2 numbers, disconnect my VOIP box, and have my numbers work immediately thru the Hub alone? Or something else?

I'm hesitant to register online and configure/connect my Ooma Hub until I'm sure I have the right setup. So I'm not sure how easy/possible it will be to have the one phone ring differently for the 2 numbers, or have separate voicemail/greeting for each number. I don't want to use a Scout/second phone/wall jacks--just one phone to handle both lines. Can I do this?

Help?
What I would do in your case is to register your ooma hub online without integrating your existing VoIP lines. For the time being, answer "no" to the keep-your-landline/porting question, so you will have at first one Ooma assigned number (you can add a second temporary number later). After you complete setup of your hub and get it connected, forward your existing VoIP lines to that number(s) and then you can disconnect your old VoIP adapter (but keep your account open). You can then go back and start the port process and when it completes, your Ooma number(s) will be replaced by your ported numbers and you can then cancel your old VoIP account if it didn't happen automatically when the numbers were ported away.
Last edited by Groundhound on Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:00 pm

AccuConference wrote:I am trying to do the same thing except I am trying to use the Scout.

I have a 4 line phone system and I am trying to plug the Hub into Line 1 and the Scout in Line 2.
It works on the inbound calls but the outbound calls are still going out from the Scout to through the Hub so its using the wrong number and sending the wrong caller id.

Also I have a question about Multi Ring on the two different numbers. I want Line one to multi ring my wife’s cell phone and Line 2 (scout) to ring my cell phone number. My number is business and my wife’s are different business. Need them separate ie I don’t want to take her business calls. I am only seeing one spot to enter multi ring and it doesn't differentiate between the numbers. Same for sending voice mails through the email. It doesn’t ask what phone numbers you want to receive voice mails from.

Hopefully someone has got this to work.

Jim
Go into my.ooma.com and assign your scout to your second number. Calls made from the phone connected to the scout will then by default show the second number on outbound CallerID, and you will then have a separate my.ooma login for the second line with its own voice mail (Premier features). You can override the default outbound CID for either line by preceding the dialed number with **0 to get line 1's CID when calling from line 2, and **1 to get line 2's CID when calling from line 1.

stevenp

Post by stevenp » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:08 am

Thanks for the info. Can you get 2 separate voicemails if you have 2 numbers without using the Scout? I want to use one phone for the 2 numbers, each with separate voicemail if possible. Thx.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:52 am

stevenp wrote:Thanks for the info. Can you get 2 separate voicemails if you have 2 numbers without using the Scout? I want to use one phone for the 2 numbers, each with separate voicemail if possible. Thx.
No, because if there is no assignment of the second number to a scout, inbound calls to both numbers ring on the same line if there is no call already in progress.
You can use one 2-line phone for both, just connect the phone's line1 to the hub and the phone's line2 to the scout. I have my two line phone in my office set up this way.

stevenp

Post by stevenp » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:58 am

Groundhound wrote:
stevenp wrote:Thanks for the info. Can you get 2 separate voicemails if you have 2 numbers without using the Scout? I want to use one phone for the 2 numbers, each with separate voicemail if possible. Thx.
No, because if there is no assignment of the second number to a scout, inbound calls to both numbers ring on the same line if there is no call already in progress.
(Forgive these questions if they seem basic, but I've been poking around the forums and not finding what I need! I also haven't set up my Hub yet online, so I'm not sure of all the options.)

Is it possible to have 2 separate rings for the 2 numbers? Also, is it possible to use both the Scout and Hub with one phone?

Basically, I have a single cordless phone (3 handsets) and wopuld like to be able to receive calls and have separate vm for the 2 numbers using the same phone. (My current VOIP service is set up this way too.) It's for our home line and my home office--don't want a separate home office phone if I can help it.

Thx!

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:07 am

stevenp wrote:
Groundhound wrote:
(Forgive these questions if they seem basic, but I've been poking around the forums and not finding what I need! I also haven't set up my Hub yet online, so I'm not sure of all the options.)

Is it possible to have 2 separate rings for the 2 numbers? Also, is it possible to use both the Scout and Hub with one phone?

Basically, I have a single cordless phone (3 handsets) and wopuld like to be able to receive calls and have separate vm for the 2 numbers using the same phone. (My current VOIP service is set up this way too.) It's for our home line and my home office--don't want a separate home office phone if I can help it.

Thx!
Yes, but ideally the phone should be two-line so both lines can ring - one from hub and one from assigned scout. If your one-line phone is connected to a scout with the second line assigned to it, you can still answer the first line when the scout's line button flashes, but the phone will only ring for calls to the second line.