Ooma taking all the bandwidth!

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Groundhound
Re: Ooma taking all the bandwidth!

Post by Groundhound » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:31 pm

The hub's QoS during a call has been seen to be much higher than it should be by me and others, but your case is pretty extreme. I would place the hub behind the router and let the router handle QoS if call frequency (and concurrent bandwidth loss) is enough to be a real concern.

kamiller42

Post by kamiller42 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:38 am

Groundhound wrote:The hub's QoS during a call has been seen to be much higher than it should be by me and others, but your case is pretty extreme. I would place the hub behind the router and let the router handle QoS if call frequency (and concurrent bandwidth loss) is enough to be a real concern.
Would recommend I take the following steps?

1) Set upstream and downstream speeds to 0 to disable the Ooma QoS.
2) Set reserved bandwidth to 130 (or maybe 70).
3) Put Ooma hub behind router.

niknak

Post by niknak » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:40 am

If the hub is behind the router it is not going to do any QOS. That would happen on the router. reset the ooma to factory defaults

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:45 am

I agree with niknak... the ooma hub or telo connected to a router as you would any pc (behind the router) is the way to go. This keeps ooma and the network separate. Easier to trouble shoot in the long run.

Wayne

kamiller42

Post by kamiller42 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:20 pm

Ok. I went ahead and changed the hub's position. It is behind the router. I will test things in this configuration for a while, watching for drop calls or drop outs in call. Hopefully it all goes well.

Thank you for the help fellow Ooma-ites!