How to make the scout work?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
JaffLin@comcast.net
How to make the scout work?

Post by JaffLin@comcast.net » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:14 pm

Hi, I have purchased an OOMA hub, successfully made it to work in 10 minutes. So far everything works well. Today I tried to connect the scout in another room. After supplying the power and connecting the scout to the wall jack and phone via the two connector on the scout, it has four read LEDs lighted up in red. I thought it was just a power up sequence. But it stayed that way. And when I picked up the phone connected to the scout, I cannot even hear the dial tone. What should I do to make the scout work? Please advise. Thanks!

Jaff Lin

Groundhound

Re: How to make the scout work?

Post by Groundhound » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:15 pm

Do you have the hub's wall port also connected to a wall jack?

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:16 pm

Did you also connect the wall jack of the hub to a wall outlet?
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:20 pm

JaffLin@comcast.net wrote:Hi, I have purchased an OOMA hub, successfully made it to work in 10 minutes. So far everything works well. Today I tried to connect the scout in another room. After supplying the power and connecting the scout to the wall jack and phone via the two connector on the scout, it has four read LEDs lighted up in red. I thought it was just a power up sequence. But it stayed that way. And when I picked up the phone connected to the scout, I cannot even hear the dial tone. What should I do to make the scout work? Please advise. Thanks!

Jaff Lin
A good test is to take the scout and place it near the hub. Plug a short phone cable directly from the hub wall port to the scout wall port. Then plug a phone into the scout phone port and connect the power to the scout. The scout should work correctly and you should get dialtone. If it does work in this configuration, then you might have a wiring problem between rooms. If you have DSL you will need to put the scout/hub connection on a clean pair so you don't interfere with that signal.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

JaffLin@comcast.net

Post by JaffLin@comcast.net » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:33 pm

Yes, I just did what you suggested. I connect a phone line directly from the "Wall" connector of the hub to the "Wall" connector of the scout and connect the phone to the "Phone" connector of the scout. In seconds, all red LED were off. and the "OOMA" tab on the scout turned blue and I was able to get a dial tone. So what should I do next? Thanks!

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:35 pm

Well the good news is that the scout is working. Can you describe your internet connection - cable or DSL and what you had connected where when the scout was not working in the other room?
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

JaffLin@comcast.net

Post by JaffLin@comcast.net » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:43 pm

I used to have DSL from Verizon before I switched to OOMA. The same phone jack on the wall has a Y splitter connected to two two lines, one is the phone line connected to my phone, the other is the DSL line connected to the DSL modem. So most likely all the line behind the walls used all the four wires. I just don't know which to wires are used for phone and which two wires are used for modem.

JaffLin@comcast.net

Post by JaffLin@comcast.net » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:55 pm

BTW, ever since I switched to OOMA, I have been using cable TV for my Internet accesses. So I no longer need the DSL. This means I have completely cut my tie with Verizon

hpepper

Post by hpepper » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:57 pm

JaffLin@comcast.net wrote:I used to have DSL from Verizon before I switched to OOMA. The same phone jack on the wall has a Y splitter connected to two two lines, one is the phone line connected to my phone, the other is the DSL line connected to the DSL modem. So most likely all the line behind the walls used all the four wires. I just don't know which to wires are used for phone and which two wires are used for modem.
Well, most DSL setups I have seen have the same pair going to the phone and the same pair going to the DSL modem. The DSL modem gets the line stright through and the phone side is a fileter for the phone. Usually, you are given a filter to put wherever you have a phone in the house.

It's all on the same one pair.

hpepper

Post by hpepper » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:59 pm

Well - do you have a landline? If not try disconnecting the phone company wire at the termination box (usually outside)

Then try the Scout through the wiring. This will not will work if you still have a landline and the old DSL is still active on it.