HELP WITH 2 LINE SYSTEM

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
legendsguy
HELP WITH 2 LINE SYSTEM

Post by legendsguy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:59 am

Over the weekend I moved my office to a new building. I have Ooma set up and we no longer are working with any landlines at all. Here's my question: How can I get both lines to ring?

I have set up 2 lines with Ooma on the primary account. I replace all of cordless phones with 2 line desktop phones.

What I want to happen is when a call comes in someone is on line 1, line 2 will ring and a different person can answer line 2. I have a phone line running from ooma to each of the three 2 line phones in the office.

With my old att 2 lines, if a customer called in on line 1 and then another customer called in, it was automatically rolled into line 2....THIS IS WHAT I WANT WITH OOMA...IS IT POSSIBLE?

Help????
Last edited by legendsguy on Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

legendsguy

Re: HELP WITH 2 LINE SYSTEM

Post by legendsguy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:37 am

one other bit of information that might help. On the back of the Ooom hub, I have plugged in a phone line adapter so all 3 phones lines coming from the 3 desktop phones are plugged into the adapter.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:55 am

Newbie answer:
I believe that each phone must be plugged into it's own Scout for that to happen. No need for 2 line phones. Just pick up a phone on the Scout when another call comes in. When the hub is in use, the Scout's phones will ring when a second call comes in.
If one line is in use and you need to call out, just pick up the phone on another unit and line 2 will be active for calling out.

I use this setup here at home and it works great.

Hopefully there is a more technical fix for you, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth.

Wayne

legendsguy

Post by legendsguy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:59 am

Thanks Wayne. I do have a scout unit that I'm not using. I had a number assigned to it but called Ooma on Friday about it and they told me that I should have both numbers assigned to the hub and they switched it for me. I will try to call tech support again today but sometimes people on here with the real life experience can answer things easier.

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:23 am

Even with both numbers assigned to the hub you need a scout to handle a second call. Note that you can put the hub phone line on line 1 of a two line phone and the scout phone line on line 2 of a two line phone. However if you don't assign the second line to the scout, both lines will ring on an incoming call. You can easily assign the second line to the scout in the Lounge. The only downside to doing this is that each line will have it's own mailbox.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

legendsguy

Post by legendsguy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:30 am

Ok..thanks Murphy. Maybe after all of this work and porting my number from att it's not going to work the way I want.

I know the Ooma system isn't meant for commercial uses but it sounds like many are using it that way.

I guess I'm looking for a yes or no answer to whether this can be done the way I describe:
I have a reception desk. She fields all calls, checks messages, etc. She answers line 1, puts it on hold, another person in other office picks up. Phone rings again (line 2), she puts it on hold and person in 3rd office picks up.

It sounds like it might be a yes if I have a scout in each of the two other offices. Caveat is the second line calls may be routed to the scout answering machine if nobody is there to pick it up. Correct??

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:53 am

How many phone numbers do you have? I think you can do what you want with one phone number. There is no provision for one number to roll over to a second number. However with ooma Premier you can have a second call on a single number. You only need one scout to set this up.
Put the hub and the scout on the secretaries desk. Connect the wall jacks of the two units together and not to anywhere else. Put your two line desk phones at all locations, as many as you want. Connect line 1 of the desk phones to the hub. Connect line 2 of the desk phones to the scout. An incoming call will ring on line 1 of all of the phones. Someone answers that call. A second incoming call to the same number will ring on line 2. Someone else can answer that call. While both of those calls are in progress I think a third incoming call will go directly to voicemail. If line one is in use, someone can select line 2 and call out. There is only one voicemail box in this environment. The secretary can check voice mail by pressing the play button on the hub or the scout. The rest of you can check voicemail by dialing your phone number. If your desk phones have a message waiting indicator, it should blink when unread messages are available. At least it does on my two line Nortel desk phones. You could put the scout on your desk if you want as long as you wire it up as described above.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

legendsguy

Post by legendsguy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:36 pm

Thanks for the added information Murphy. What you suggest may work.

You ask how many numbers I have. Right now I have two with Ooma and I do have the premiere service. I am awaiting the porting of my main business number which should be completed this week or next at the latest.

I will try this out. I will have to reassign my second line to the scout again. Ooma put transferred it to the hub last week. Thanks again!