Removing credit card information

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
Leeway
Re: Removing credit card information

Post by Leeway » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:27 pm

I don't have cc info on file yet. I was thinking to get the Premier but not just yet. There are too many problems in My Ooma and I would add to the pile for certain.

My credit card billing address has two lines in it and on My Ooma there is no place for a second address line.

That has caused me a 'glitch' or two in other web sites. For myself, I'd use the Paypal plugin to generate a one-time usage cc.

Ham

Post by Ham » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:17 pm

jazzyone wrote:I may be wrong but I don't believe you have to enter a cc number with the core system. The only reason I had to enter a number was because I purchased the Premier Service. Otherwise it would have been blank.
You are correct I didn't have to enter the number with the core system. But I wanted to make an international call. After purchasing the international minutes I tried to remove the credit card from the account and couldn't.
Unless I signed up for some service with reoccurring charges, holding on to my cc number is unnecessary. I'm quite happy entering my cc number each time I use it.

Ham

Post by Ham » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:20 pm

tommies wrote:I use ShopSafe/Virtual CC number. Each number can only use with one merchant, and afterward, I just close the number. I use it every where(except swiping at point of sale terminal): on the net, over the phone, snail mail remitting stub, etc.

I don't have the option to tell the merchant to delete my CC info, but I have a way to make it un-usable.

You can do the same.
Thanks. ShopSafe doesn't sound bad. I'll have a look.

allo

Post by allo » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:15 pm

It seems to me that according to TOS listed on a previous page: a valid credit card or a debit account is required to be on file!
Anything to counter that is cause for termination of service. Period!
And believe me, once they deal with the little chaos they're in right now, they will start verifying every account that it is complying! The reason is very simple: if someone uses 411 for example, I doubt the operator is going to check with OOMA first before helping the caller!
Further more, I don't see what the big deal is about giving a financial caution: we do it all the time in most of our dealings; it is called Security Deposit.

Lola

Post by Lola » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:39 pm

Shopsafe is a Bank of America service, but I think lots of credit cards have virtual account number utilities, not just BOA. I have a citicard and they have an app that creates virtual credit card numbers for me, right at citicards.com. I love it and always use it. Its great, cause you can create a new number for the amount you want (limit of $1) and then use that number. That way there will be no surprises. I always do this when purchasing things online, set the limit to the amount to pay. The other advantage is that you can set the expiration date on these numbers, usually 1-2 months away. Talk to your credit card provider to see if you already have one, they help prevent fraud

Ham

Post by Ham » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:05 pm

I will not get Premier so there shouldn't be any charges on my credit card. As soon as they locked on to my credit card info I decided I won't even try Premier, even though I had a free 60 days trial, because I assumed they did that to automatically start charging me for Premier. Hopefully since I didn't try it, no charges will be on my card. I hate this. Holding my credit card truly is unnecessary since I have only the core system.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:45 pm

Did you try calling customer service and asking them to remove your credit card information?

Ham

Post by Ham » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:21 am

bw1 wrote:Did you try calling customer service and asking them to remove your credit card information?
I did. The customer rep said that I can do it at my account site, but it won't let you. So I replied and asked if he could, but I never got a reply.
I really don't mean to belabor this issue but I like doing business with companies that empower the customer, and I've very suspicious of those that entrap or take away flexibility from customers. Once a company has your card you can get charged for services for which you did not sign up simply because you clicked on the wrong button or forgot to uncheck something on the website. Also I do a better job of protecting my credit than any company.
If I sign up for Premier or other services I very much understand requiring credit card info. But having only core service should give the customer max flexibility. I remove my credit card info from all online companies after paying for purchases. And these companies I use give me the option.
Come on Ooma.

Ham

Post by Ham » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:29 am

Hello Everyone. I would like to thank those who helped with this topic. I would like to especially thank Ooma customer service. Ooma called me directly to address this issue and removed my CC information from my account. I would hope that this was done not because I was a pest, but because Ooma thought it was the right thing to do and the policy will eventually change to allow customers the option to add/remove CC information when possible.
Thanks again Ooma. I'm already thinking of updating to Premier before Dec 31.

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:08 pm

I'm glad that they finally got it sorted out for you. And even more encouraged by your last statement that you will probably upgrade to Premier before the end of the year. That must mean you are satisfied with your service and that is always good to hear. Enjoy your free calling and visit the board often! :cool:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.