Phone Setup / Landline not Ringing in ooma

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
telcopaul
Phone Setup / Landline not Ringing in ooma

Post by telcopaul » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:58 pm

Just hooked up this weekend. Blue lights on and setup shows as follows. I elected to integrate my landline until while waiting for the landline number to eventually port with ooma. The problem is that incoming landline telephone calls are not ringing through ooma and do not roll into the voice mail. Outgoing calls work fine. Is this a situation where ooma is incorrectly registered and will need to be re provisioned?

Your ooma Network is Connected
Internet: Connected
Ooma Core: Connected
Phone Line: Connected
Ooma Services
Phone Setup: Your phone line is configured for the ooma network
Second Line: Enabled
Voice Mail: Enabled

WayneDsr

Re: Phone Setup / Landline not Ringing in ooma

Post by WayneDsr » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:01 pm

Is your phone number for ooma the same as your landline number?

Wayne

telcopaul

Post by telcopaul » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:21 pm

No ooma number issued that I know of. My landline number is functional and probably won't get ported to ooma for a few weeks. The line works and is plugged into the home base in the "wall" slot. Telephone plugged in the "phone" slot. Incoming calls just don't ring in ooma and voicemail doesn't pick up. For whatever reason, ooma does not recognize the land line.

PhoneJill

Post by PhoneJill » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:55 pm

I was just looking around for documentation on the same question.

I have both a landline with my "old" number (porting process just started) and my "new," random Ooma number (that no one knows) that i got during activation of my new Telo.

I was hoping that plugging in my old landline from the wall into the ooma telo base's 'wall' port would make my phone ring when my old number is called. It doesn't seem to. Is it supposed to???

setup.ooma.com tells me that the Telo knows it's got a landline hooked up ("Phone Line: Connected"), but is some other step necessary to actually have it recognize inbound calls and make the phone ring? or is that even a feature? Just looking for my phone system to keep ringing throughout the house (cordless phones to the base unit hooked up to Telo) while waiting for my number port to take place...

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:57 pm

If you have a temporary number from ooma, then your landline is NOT provisioned to work with ooma.
If it were, your landline number would be your ooma number. Then it would ring in if someone called your landline number.

You need to plug a phone into your wall jack to retrieve your phone calls from your landline until you can call customer support to have your landline provisioned with ooma.

When you call out now, you are using your network and not your landline.

Wayne

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:59 pm

PhoneJill wrote:I was just looking around for documentation on the same question.

I have both a landline with my "old" number (porting process just started) and my "new," random Ooma number (that no one knows) that i got during activation of my new Telo.

I was hoping that plugging in my old landline from the wall into the ooma telo base's 'wall' port would make my phone ring when my old number is called. It doesn't seem to. Is it supposed to???

setup.ooma.com tells me that the Telo knows it's got a landline hooked up ("Phone Line: Connected"), but is some other step necessary to actually have it recognize inbound calls and make the phone ring? or is that even a feature? Just looking for my phone system to keep ringing throughout the house (cordless phones to the base unit hooked up to Telo) while waiting for my number port to take place...
No, just plugging your landline into the base will not cause ooma to ring. If you really want to be set up that way you need to have ooma provision your landline with ooma.
That way, your ooma number will be your landline number.

Wayne

telcopaul

Post by telcopaul » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:05 pm

Thanks. I'm curious ... is this always a manual process? I thought I activated correctly.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:24 pm

telcopaul wrote:Thanks. I'm curious ... is this always a manual process? I thought I activated correctly.
If you want to change your choice, yes, it is manual as in having to call customer support.
You either did it wrong in the beginning or ooma did it wrong. Either way, you have to call to make the change. It's an easy change.
I myself made the choice to keep ooma and my landline separate. That way I could test the ooma connection over my network to see how well it works. The problem with that, as you already know, is that your landline calls will have to be answered from a different phone connected to a wall jack in your house. It's a matter of preference.

Wayne

PhoneJill

Post by PhoneJill » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:41 am

WayneDsr wrote: No, just plugging your landline into the base will not cause ooma to ring. If you really want to be set up that way you need to have ooma provision your landline with ooma.

Wayne
Thanks for the reply. I had a big 'duh' moment after posting this. I realized that I already have the perfect solution while waiting for my number port from my carrier to Ooma, to keep my phone system ringing. It's a 2-line phone so I just plugged the landline into Line 1 and Ooma into Line 2 and voila! I can now answer either my old or new line with my 'regular' phone.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:14 am

PhoneJill wrote:
WayneDsr wrote: No, just plugging your landline into the base will not cause ooma to ring. If you really want to be set up that way you need to have ooma provision your landline with ooma.

Wayne
Thanks for the reply. I had a big 'duh' moment after posting this. I realized that I already have the perfect solution while waiting for my number port from my carrier to Ooma, to keep my phone system ringing. It's a 2-line phone so I just plugged the landline into Line 1 and Ooma into Line 2 and voila! I can now answer either my old or new line with my 'regular' phone.
WOW, now that's the way to go! Great idea.

Wayne