Heads up: credit card terminal/ merchant works OK

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
trim81
Heads up: credit card terminal/ merchant works OK

Post by trim81 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:33 pm

Just want to give a heads up to other ooma users. -credit card merchant accounts works fine for Ooma; specifically for my model Omni 3200. (But i suspect it works with others as well)

I had to call my merchant account to access the COMM menu of the omni to add the prefix *99, ....then change the baud rate.

just an fyi, hope it helps some.

jthphoto

Re: Heads up: credit card terminal/ merchant works OK

Post by jthphoto » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:02 am

Thanks to trim81, I also tested my merchant terminal, a Trans 330, with my Ooma and it worked.

I did call my merchant company, Patrick at Midwest Transaction Group (888-599-2209 shameless plug), who walked me through adding the... *99, - that's: star nine nine comma as a prefix to dialing out for communication.

I can't believe they got my Trans 330 to work after so many years, I think I've had it 15yrs (when told by others it's too old to work in these 'new' times)

Thanks Ooma, trim81 and Patrick,

James.

doug

Post by doug » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:06 am

jthphoto wrote:I can't believe they got my Trans 330 to work after so many years, I think I've had it 15yrs (when told by others it's too old to work in these 'new' times)
I believe CC terminals intentionally use what by most standards is a very old and slow transfer rate protocol because the handshaking required is very minimal. The key advantage here is how fast they can negotiate a connection and it eliminates the need to test and equalize the analog frequency response of the line. They can connect, exchange the minimal data required, and hang up again before newer high-speed protocols can even negotiate a connection.

I think the protocol spec requirements of the phone line are even lower than for a fax.

Lyle

Post by Lyle » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:56 am

I just got my Verifone 3730LE credit card terminal to work with ooma using the 'star nine nine comma; trick you guys gave us and you saved us $250.00 on a new machine, yeah thankyou sooooo much, Lyle :D