Ooma new phone number but still keeping landline...

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
schwing
Ooma new phone number but still keeping landline...

Post by schwing » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:54 am

I haven't decided to completely drop my landline yet. It's nice to have a working phone in case of a black-out, or my internet flakes out. However I didn't want to pay for caller ID (which would almost double my monthly bill) so I opted to get an ooma assigned telephone number which includes caller ID for free. But since I still have a landline, is there any reason I should hook it up to my ooma hub?

Schwing

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Re: Ooma new phone number but still keeping landline...

Post by Bobby B » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:33 am

Hi Schwing, if you're ooma system is configured to work without a landline, there isn't a reason plug in an active landline (e.g. use the "WALL" port), other than if you need to use your home phone wiring to connect one or more ooma Scouts.

If you want to use your landline with the ooma system for backup purposes but avoid the landline provider caller ID costs, you can use the new personal numbers feature. Using this feature, you configure your ooma system as a landline unit (enabling the ability to send/receive calls on your landline) and use your existing ooma telephone number (as your main number for caller ID) .

-Bobby
schwing wrote:I haven't decided to completely drop my landline yet. It's nice to have a working phone in case of a black-out, or my internet flakes out. However I didn't want to pay for caller ID (which would almost double my monthly bill) so I opted to get an ooma assigned telephone number which includes caller ID for free. But since I still have a landline, is there any reason I should hook it up to my ooma hub?

Schwing
Bobby B

schwing

Post by schwing » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:37 pm

Thanks for the reply Bobby B.

So by configuring my ooma as a landline unit, my ooma system will default to using the landline only when the internet cuts out? And as long as people are dialing in via my ooma phone number I'll see their caller ID, but not if they call up my landline right?

Is this something I manually configure (via setup.ooma.com) or do I need to call ooma tech support?

Thanks again,

Schwing

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:01 pm

The default outgoing number can be controlled in the ooma Lounge under "preferences->privacy" If your using the ooma Number as your main number, you can just set the ooma Number as your default outgoing call. If the Internet cuts out, it should default to using the landline (I'll need to verify this behavior in the lab, to ensure you don't need to enter a "**#" prefix code). And correct - as long as people dial your ooma phone number, you will see their caller-ID.

At this time, you can only switch the landline operating mode by calling ooma support. When you call in, I'd just give them a heads up on what you're trying to do so that the proper steps can be taken.

-Bobby
schwing wrote:Thanks for the reply Bobby B.

So by configuring my ooma as a landline unit, my ooma system will default to using the landline only when the internet cuts out? And as long as people are dialing in via my ooma phone number I'll see their caller ID, but not if they call up my landline right?

Is this something I manually configure (via setup.ooma.com) or do I need to call ooma tech support?

Thanks again,

Schwing
Bobby B