Fax - Can send but not receive faxes

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
KarifromMN
Fax - Can send but not receive faxes

Post by KarifromMN » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:31 am

Hi,
I have read on many blogs and user reviews that Ooma can work to send and receive faxes, although it is not guaranteed. I have been able to send faxes without any problems, however, I am not being able to receive faxes unless I set the fax to pick up at 3 rings and the Ooma voicemail to pick up at 4 or 5 rings. This is ok except for the fact that if a person calls and I do not pick up in time, they automatically go to the fax machine and never are able to leave messages. If I configure the Ooma voicemail to pick up first and then the fax to pick up second, I can not receive faxes as all faxes then get sent to the voicemail and never come through to the fax.
I have the fax hooked up to OOMA directly with a splitter for the phone and fax going into the back of the OOMA hub. I am using an EPSON all-in-one printer. I have been working with OOMA support and Epson support for the last 6 hours and have not resolved it yet.
Could someone who is able to use OOMA to receive faxes please explain how they have their system set up? We are playing around with the dialing tones and ringers but are having no luck. I have done all the usual troubleshooting (turning off ECM, lowering baud rate.) If someone has any advice on how to set up priority among the devices, that would be great and very much appreciated.
Thank you,
-Kari

jazzyone

Re: Fax - Can send but not receive faxes

Post by jazzyone » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:25 pm

You may have to set up your fax machine, not Ooma, to be able to work with the VM.

I have a Multifunction machine that has 4 different modes for Fax Receive,

1) Manual
2) Fax/Tel
3) Fax Only
4) Answer Mode <--This seems to work for me.

Depending on your machine, you may have similar receive modes.