Dry Loop DSL

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
RickO
Dry Loop DSL

Post by RickO » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:03 am

I've had good results with ooma running it with Bell South DSL. I currently have my DSL associated with my landline. I'm thinking of dropping the phone and switching to dry loop DSL. I was curious if anyone else has done this and noticed any difference in call quality. I know that it should be the same, but thought it best to ask. Any input on this is greatly appreciated.

OomaZooma

Re: Dry Loop DSL

Post by OomaZooma » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:02 pm

If you had good results with Ooma/DSL then you should definitely have the same or better results with dry loop DSL I dropped my BellSouth landline and had BellSouth create a new dry loop account and the quality is better due to the fact that the landline voltage/noise is no longer generating interference on the same line as the DSL.

The trick to getting this done is to call BellSouth and ask them to set up your DSL on a separate account (dry loop) so you can terminate your landline without terminating your DSL line. I had to call twice because the first CSR said it could not be done. The second CSR knew exactly what had to be done and created the second account for dry loop DSL. This will prevent them from disconnecting your DSL line and Ooma when the terminate your landline. BellSouth had a technician come out and the separate dry loop DSL line outside in my phone box and place it on another line with another phone number.

It's also a good idea to unplug the landline jack located in the outside box and leave the dry loop DSL line connected by itself. This will prevent noise and voltage leakage into the home even though the landline connection is no longer being used. I hope this answers your question. If you have any other questions, please post them and we will do our best to help out. Good luck!

Gary

RickO

Post by RickO » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:13 pm

Thanks Gary, I appreciate it!

Boondocs

Post by Boondocs » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:18 am

I've been using Ooma and dry loop DSL for about a year. I recently moved to a new house and transferred my dry loop to the new house. Had a few bumps in the road with billing. I had a flex bundle package with Verizon which included my DSL and my cell phone and made the DSL 30.00 a month but they canceled it on me. I had to resign up for a new flex bundle which now the DSL cost me 35. Verizon screwing people again. Either way Ooma and DSL has worked perfectly for me and I power the entire house with the Ooma system. I love my Ooma phone system.
Telo - primary phone since Feb 2009
Core - gave to sister April 2010
Lifetime Premier Member