Resolved: Frustrating - from sort of working to not

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Dante R
Re: Frustrating - from sort of working to not

Post by Dante R » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:56 pm

Yesterday (11/1) your Telo was almost online. Unfortunately it could not download updates at a reasonable rate so the connection kept resetting.

Basically you were downloading updates at < 1 Bytes /s (that is not a typo...) so the connection would just continue timing out after 2 minutes and starting over (and timing out again).

So as far as your connections go, you had it right yesterday, just could not establish an acceptable download rate, why that is I don't know.

skicarib

Post by skicarib » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:28 pm

Thanks for follow up - interesting, but confusing. I have highest speed available from AT&T DSL (6.0+). At some point in all of this, based on a note that I saw in the forums, I saw that you may want to set the upload/download speeds for QoS, etc. - i believe that I set them at 6000 and 384 and then tried 5000 and 3000, leaving the 384 alone. would this have caused an issue if the Telo is behind the router? Should I reset to 0 or blank? Should I take it home and try it all again and see what you guys see on the other side based on specs you give me? Curious, how did you track me to the statistics - my userid? thanks for help - sorry for barrage of questions, but want this to get behind me.

Dante R

Post by Dante R » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:04 pm

I doubt it has anything to do with the QOS setting although there is a slim possibility. Generally I never recommend touching QOS until you experience a voice quality issue.

From what I read here it looks like you have everything correct, IE, PPPoE DSL with hub behind router with router doing PPPoE authentication.

One question I have is, are your DSL filters on or off?

I would suggest disabling any firewall until the Telo is fully updated,then moving Telo in front of the firewall. If I had to bet on anything it would be that (firewall issue).

skicarib

Post by skicarib » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:39 pm

Thanks - want to make sure I have this straight, because I was advised yesterday to set the type to Automatic (rather than PPoE since it was now behind router, not modem) - though someone else said maybe it should be DHCP. Should I reset the QOS parms/remove the specific speeds - blank or 0? Is the DSL filter setting at modem or router (I know that I have DSL filters for the wall/phone jacks at point of connection for land lines, assume you mean a software setting in the config for the modem or router).

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:45 pm

If the hub is behind the router, set the hub to use DHCP and also select the option to use the built-in MAC address.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

skicarib

Post by skicarib » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:27 pm

Thanks Dante, murphy. I have connected Home port to my MacBook, cranked everything up, went to setup.ooma.com, set to DHCP, blanked out QOS settings (it reset them to 0), ensured that 'Built in MAC' address was set. Brought Telo down, moved back to router, connected 'To' port to a client port on my apple timecapsule router, powered up, and it is back to solid blue across the bottom. Dante, if you are there, can you see download traffic/speed? I haven't looked at dsl filter/router or firewall settings yet.

skicarib

Post by skicarib » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:48 pm

ok, exciting news - I now have blue lights across the board - top, middle, bottom and the logo - all solid, no blinking. Afraid to touch anything, so what the hell do I do now?

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:50 pm

I've been trying to update myself on your posts, but when I came to this one it sounds like you're up and running. Do you get Ooma dialtone?

Wayne

skicarib

Post by skicarib » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:01 pm

Wayne, with solid blue lights across the board (top/bottom and logo) - does that mean that it has finished updating and that I should try plugging in the cordless base to the phone jack? at this point, I would usually presume, but after all this I prefer not to.. thanks

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:13 pm

If all 12 lights are blue, the Telo is online.
Connect a phone to the phone port.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx