New Owner...2 Questions

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
mtbiker
New Owner...2 Questions

Post by mtbiker » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:33 pm

Just ordered the old ooma hub/scout combo from amazon and I'm trying to decide if I am going to keep it. Can someone answer these questions for me.

1) So I know the one I ordered has no annual fees with it. But, does that mean that ooma can't or won't add annual fees to this device down the road.

2) Lets say i get a number now and move to another state in a year. What is the fee to change my number? Will I have to then pay an annual fee if I change the number since I wont have a "new activation?"

Thanks in advance

allo

Re: New Owner...2 Questions

Post by allo » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:48 am

mtbiker wrote:Just ordered the old ooma hub/scout combo from amazon and I'm trying to decide if I am going to keep it. Can someone answer these questions for me.

1) So I know the one I ordered has no annual fees with it. But, does that mean that ooma can't or won't add annual fees to this device down the road.

2) Lets say i get a number now and move to another state in a year. What is the fee to change my number? Will I have to then pay an annual fee if I change the number since I wont have a "new activation?"

Thanks in advance
#1 Kind of childish / silly question.... everything in life may or may not change at some point.
#2 $11.99 to change phone number... there is no need to change phone numbers anywhere one moves to!

mtbiker

Post by mtbiker » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:22 am

I disagree.

It is completely adult to want to know what the few schedule for the device will look like in the future. Of course this is information that is relevant to the consumer. And frankly, if you want to be rude please don't post anymore on my thread.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:59 am

If you can find any telephone provider that does not claim in their Terms & Conditions that they have the right to change those Terms & Conditions at any time, please let us know.

mtbiker

Post by mtbiker » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:16 am

There is a difference though.

The original ooma was sold with the premise of no fee calling. This is why it was still attractive over other providers given the much larger initinal fee. If they then change terms and add fees it is unfair. That is not what the consumer bought into when they decided to drop 250 for the system.

So getting back to my question, is it likely that we will see fees added to the other original ooma or do you think they will continue to keep it free?

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:04 am

mtbiker wrote:So getting back to my question, is it likely that we will see fees added to the other original ooma or do you think they will continue to keep it free?
There is no way that any of us users can answer that question.
How much does an alternate service cost?
Take Vonage which advertises $24.99 per month but actually ends up at about $33 per month after all of the fees are included.

$250 divided by $33 equals 7.6 months.

That is the break even point for the hardware if your alternative is Vonage.
Do the math with whatever other service you are considering.

Add in lifetime Premier at $399, available until the end of the year, and your break even point is

$250 + $399 = $649 / $33 = 19.7 months or 1 year plus 8 months.

Again do the math with the numbers for whatever other service you are considering.
(If it's Magic Jack, don't forget the cost to run a computer 24/7).
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx