Resolved: Frustrating - from sort of working to not

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
skicarib
Re: Frustrating - from sort of working to not

Post by skicarib » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:55 pm

wow, voila, it works. must have been DHCP setting instead of Automatic - or setting the QOS back to null or 0 - trying to help w lessons learned for others. called my mobile from from telo/cordless base, then called my telo/cordless number from my mobile. no delays, sounded ok. I assume no reason to move telo/hub back to behind modem/before router... thanks to everyone for help. glad I asked again today before giving in and taking it back... now, Ooma folks, how do I get a replacement power cable - the connector to the hub unit stinks and falls out if someone sneezes near it. thanks again, scott

Dante R

Re: Resolved: Frustrating - from sort of working to not

Post by Dante R » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:48 am

Having a new Power Supply sent to you.

Please make sure your shipping address is correct on our website.

skicarib

Post by skicarib » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:09 pm

Dante, many thanks - I checked My Ooma and the address listed under 'Service Address' is updated and correct, if that's the one you are referencing - scott

skicarib

Post by skicarib » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:11 pm

and Dante, while you are here - should I consider moving the connection back to the Ooma 'preferred' connection with the Telo between the modem and router, or just leave well enough alone? it seems to be working fine. I would think that I would need to change the Network Connection in the configuration from DHCP to PPoE and/or other changes... but I'm not sure if it is worth changing it at this point if something could go wrong. thanks, scott

Dante R

Post by Dante R » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:30 pm

If it's not broke....

tommies

Post by tommies » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:18 pm

I would prefer to place the telo behind the router and let the router handles QoS (and also logging info) My telo is set at automatic(behind router)

If your router supports QoS, you should consider to give the telo the highest priority. Another option is to give the telo a static ip address from the router--some router uses different phrase for static ip, such as 'reserved ip address.'

If your router support QoS base on MAC address, a static ip is probably not needed, just for convenient when access the telo web interface.

if your router support QoS base on ip, a static ip is essential for the correct device to have the priority setting.

If your router does not support QoS, and if the call quality degrades, you might want to move the telo back to behind modem and before router to utilize the QoS of the telo.

For your other question, it's probably the setting that tells telo to use its build in MAC for its MODEM port. I have seen this simple setting solve some bus load of problems that mystify every one.
tommies