Just got the ooma, and have problems getting it up and on

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
vpgrandpa
Just got the ooma, and have problems getting it up and on

Post by vpgrandpa » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:05 am

Hello, my name is Josh and I just bought my ooma telo last night. I came home and first activated it then proceeded to hook it up for the update. The company tells me to first put it in hook up 2b for the update. So I do this but all that happens is that the ooma logo flashes blue. So I searched all over trying to figure out what is going on. I have tried to set it up both ways 2a and 2b. Neither work, in fact when I set it up in between my modem and router nothing on my router gets internet. Then I found out about the setup.ooma.com and connected to it this way. I took some screenshots of it so that you guys could possibly help me out. I went through each menu and took a photo so hopefully this will help and we can get it up and running. I am at work so I will not be able to try anything but your help and advice would be amazing. I am planning on getting home and calling their support if I can't get this up and running. So PLEASE HELP!!!
Thanks guys and hope to hear from you soon.
Last edited by vpgrandpa on Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

vpgrandpa

Re: Just got the ooma, and have problems getting it up and on

Post by vpgrandpa » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:06 am

Here are the other pictures

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:52 am

I didn't get the pictures but lets check everything.
Plug the Telo into your router (like you would a pc) using the TO INTERNET port on the Telo to any port on the router.
Turn on the Telo. If everything works right away you should be seeing a flashing red ooma logo, the lights out, then blue bottom row of keys.
Blinking blue logo means no connection.

Did you register the Telo to be used WITH your landline? (integrated) If so you need to plug a phone cable from the wall jack of your house to the WALL port on the Telo. If you did not register Telo with your landline then the WALL port need not be connected. Just to be clear if you registered the Telo WITH your landline you would be using your landline number. If not you would have a temporary ooma number.

At this point you should not have anything plugged into the HOME/NETWORK port on the Telo. Plug a laptop or pc into this port and reboot the pc/laptop so the Telo assigns the pc an ip. Go to http://setup.ooma.com
On the STATUS page look to see if your router has assigned the Telo an ip. MODEM: CONNECTED (IP ADDRESS)
If you have an ip here, then your router has assigned the Telo an ip, if not, your router had not. (problem)

Go to the NETWORK page. Under MODEM PORT MAC ADDRESS: Click USE BUILT IN and click UPDATE.
Reboot the router and the Telo.

Ok, enough for now, let us know what happens from here.

and by the way, Welcome to the Ooma Forums. Lot's of users here to help out.

Wayne

vpgrandpa

Post by vpgrandpa » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:08 pm

I have done all of this but the only difference is that I never get a red color on anything, and even doing all of this I still only get a flashing blue ooma logo. I have called support 8 times and they get me no where. They keep telling me to let it sit for an hour. So I do and still nothing, then I call again and same thing and same thing. There is one problem I see when I go into the setup.ooma.com is that under Home tab it says by the Ooma Core: Detecting... this stays this way, it never changes. Also under Status tab by Ooma Tunnel: Disconnected. I dont know what this means or anything but figured it may help. I really am getting to the point where this is more complicated than programing a cisco router... and not even worth it.
Thanks,

vpgrandpa

Post by vpgrandpa » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:19 pm

Also under the Home tabe it says at the top.
"Your ooma Network is Registering, please wait...
Internet:Connected
Ooma Core: Detecting...
Phone Line: No phone line detected, check the phone line is properly connected.
Ooma Services
Phone Setup: we are waiting for your phone line to be configured for the ooma network
Second Line: Enabled
Voice Mail: Enabled

That is what my home tab looks like. I dont understand the phone line stuff but yeah.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:21 pm

On the status page does it show an ip from your router:
MODEM: CONNECTED (ip address) this would be an ip assigned to the Telo from the router. Do you see a number in there?
If not, your router is not assigning an ip to the Telo.

Wayne

vpgrandpa

Post by vpgrandpa » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:39 pm

Yes it does get an ip from the router.
Under the network tab

Network
Modem: Connected: (ip from router is here)
Home: Connected: (another ip)
Ooma Tunnel: Disconnected
Services
Telephony: 320-Running
DNS: 311- Running
Web server: 314- Running
VPN: 2203- Running
Free: 215620

That is what it says under my network tab. I am also in the process of uploading a video of it starting up to youtube so once it is up I will put the link here.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:45 pm

Ok that's good. It looks like your router is blocking some ports.

Add the ip that your router assigned to the Telo into the DMZ in your router. So, if it is 192.168.1.100 add that in the DMZ.

Click save or update, which ever your router needs to add that entry.

Reboot the router and the Telo. It should update now.

Wayne

vpgrandpa

Post by vpgrandpa » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:47 pm

Here is the link to my video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVk4XtFegcE
Hope this helps too.

vpgrandpa

Post by vpgrandpa » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:51 pm

The DMz has already been done.... and still nothing has helped on that.