OOMA TELO HANDSET

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
XMEOME
OOMA TELO HANDSET

Post by XMEOME » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:35 am

I just purchased the Ooma Telo handset from Best Buy today and guess what its can not be used. Ooma is not giving out the pin numbers to use them but they are being sold. Followed all the instructions provided with the hand set and talked to support and guess what they are not in the USA and where not helpful. :x

Anyone able to get it to work?

Groundhound

Re: OOMA TELO HANDSET

Post by Groundhound » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:44 am

It has not yet been officially released, so the options are to wait until it is released/supported later this month or return it to BestBuy. Looks like BestBuy jumped the gun on allowing them to be sold.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:42 am

On the plus side at least you'll have the battery charged and ready to go! :)

Yes, Best Buy should have mentioned this. The handsets look awesome, but to have to wait when you didn't know isn't a good thing for Best Buy. Maybe you should call them and request them to put out some kind of signage.

Wayne

sean

Post by sean » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:05 pm

i pre-ordered on Amazon when i bought my Ooma on October 6th. an email came yesterday saying that Amazon is still trying to obtain the handset, but that my order will be canceled on Dec. 6th if i don't log in and tell them i still want the item. well of course i do, but i'd much rather not have to worry about it because they're actually ready before then. fingers crossed.

karlkurz

Post by karlkurz » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:42 am

Same here.

Bought at BestBuy yesterday with Ooma Telo unit. Nothing was mentioned that you have to wait to activate.

I don't know whether I should feel lucky (got one of the first units available) or unlucky (got home and couldn't make it work).

The "My OOma - Account - System" says "Handset Pin - Coming Soon" ... "Available during the week of November 9th." So I'm gonna keep checking this week ... before my move to The Netherlands on Thursday November 12th.

My frustration was doubled by the fact that I don't even have a regular phone to try out the Ooma Telo. I "think" I set it up okay.

By the way ... set up of the Ooma Telo unit: I wish they would mention that during set up the lights are going to go through a series of on/off ... colors ... etc etc. They just mentioned in my set up guide that the bottom row would be light up green during software update ... and that the Ooma logo would go solid green when complete after 20 minutes. My Ooma device looked like a discoteque during install. It was just enough to cast some doubt and make it seem much more stressful than it actually was.

I got mad at the good looking ladies in the video that were like "I set mine up in 4 minutes ... and was making calls instantly." I felt like a loser because the hot models were smarter than I was. :x

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:12 am

karlkurz wrote:Same here.

Bought at BestBuy yesterday with Ooma Telo unit. Nothing was mentioned that you have to wait to activate.

I don't know whether I should feel lucky (got one of the first units available) or unlucky (got home and couldn't make it work).

The "My OOma - Account - System" says "Handset Pin - Coming Soon" ... "Available during the week of November 9th." So I'm gonna keep checking this week ... before my move to The Netherlands on Thursday November 12th.

My frustration was doubled by the fact that I don't even have a regular phone to try out the Ooma Telo. I "think" I set it up okay.

By the way ... set up of the Ooma Telo unit: I wish they would mention that during set up the lights are going to go through a series of on/off ... colors ... etc etc. They just mentioned in my set up guide that the bottom row would be light up green during software update ... and that the Ooma logo would go solid green when complete after 20 minutes. My Ooma device looked like a discoteque during install. It was just enough to cast some doubt and make it seem much more stressful than it actually was.

I got mad at the good looking ladies in the video that were like "I set mine up in 4 minutes ... and was making calls instantly." I felt like a loser because the hot models were smarter than I was. :x
Yeah, they need to tell people to go have a leisurely lunch during the software download, I think the flashing lights raise the anxiety levels in some folks (especially when the light changes pause), causing them to prematurely power cycle the Telo and brick it. Congrats on your apparently successful install, you might think about getting a cheap wired phone to plug into the Telo - nice to have even with the handset. BTW, most folks see blue lights, not green.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:22 am

In my opinion the Telo setup should first do some kind of check to see if the connection has been made. Once the connection has been made then and ONLY then should the updates start. Too many people are not connecting it right for many reasons (some out of their control) and not knowing if the Telo is updating or not.

For instance, once you get a dial tone press a key combo to get the update. Now it is hit or miss. Telo or brick.

IMHO

Wayne

wtnixon

Post by wtnixon » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:05 pm

Poor overall product roll out. It was not a fun time converting from my core to Telo. Now I buy handsets and go to install and it says the PIN won't be available for seven days?! Can you imagine buying a car and have to wait a week for the cars? My first impressions of the phone. Is that it doesn't "feel" sturdy. Compared to most phones, it feels too light. Secondly, with two kids, I see the glossy black back getting scratched all up in 30 minutes. Third, it's not easy getting into the cradle. Fourth, what is up with such sharp edges between the case and the keypads?! Are you kidding me? It wouldn't take much to round these off. I can't wait to see how long it is until the CPSC gets involved.

wtnixon

Post by wtnixon » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:21 pm

By the way, when I went to the link, it said the PIN wouldn't be available until Nov 16th...

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:33 am

wtnixon wrote:Poor overall product roll out. It was not a fun time converting from my core to Telo. Now I buy handsets and go to install and it says the PIN won't be available for seven days?! Can you imagine buying a car and have to wait a week for the cars? My first impressions of the phone. Is that it doesn't "feel" sturdy. Compared to most phones, it feels too light. Secondly, with two kids, I see the glossy black back getting scratched all up in 30 minutes. Third, it's not easy getting into the cradle. Fourth, what is up with such sharp edges between the case and the keypads?! Are you kidding me? It wouldn't take much to round these off. I can't wait to see how long it is until the CPSC gets involved.
How's the screen on the handset? I have older eyes, is it fairly readable?

Wayne