Outgoing, yes. Incoming, not so much.

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
wdnick
Outgoing, yes. Incoming, not so much.

Post by wdnick » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:12 pm

I have the new Telo installed and everything was working fine for a day or two. Then after 3 or 4 days of not getting any calls I was like "something wrong." So I called myself from my cell phone and nothing happened. My phone did not ring. I did not get sent to voicemail or anything. I was however able to make outgoing calls during this time. I power cycled Telo and it started receiving calls again.

A couple of days later I notice the same thing when trying to call home. Tech support had me run the VoIP test at visualware.com and said that my jitter was too high at .08 ms even though that is well within the visualware.com acceptable range. I power cycled again and it is working at the moment.

If the problem is with my DSL line as support contends, then why would cycling power to the Telo fix the problem, albeit temporarily??? I still have the same jitter when I do the test now as I did before!

My setup is Option 2b with the landline attached until after porting. My router/modem is a wireless one that has other things connected via wireless besides my main PC which is connect via ethernet cable.

There is no indication whatsoever when this problem appears. All lights are blue.

Anyone have any ideas?? I have about 2 weeks left that I can return this thing to Amazon.

Thanks,
Doug

murphy

Re: Outgoing, yes. Incoming, not so much.

Post by murphy » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:28 am

.08 ms jitter is very good.
Check your DSL modem setup to make sure that the always maintain a connection box is checked. The default for many DSL modems is to disconnect if there is no activity. The idea is that it will reconnect when you do something on your computer. Unfortunately there is no way for an outside activity to wake it up.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Dante R

Post by Dante R » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:03 pm

wdnick wrote:I have the new Telo installed and everything was working fine for a day or two. Then after 3 or 4 days of not getting any calls I was like "something wrong." So I called myself from my cell phone and nothing happened. My phone did not ring. I did not get sent to voicemail or anything. I was however able to make outgoing calls during this time. I power cycled Telo and it started receiving calls again.

A couple of days later I notice the same thing when trying to call home. Tech support had me run the VoIP test at visualware.com and said that my jitter was too high at .08 ms even though that is well within the visualware.com acceptable range. I power cycled again and it is working at the moment.

If the problem is with my DSL line as support contends, then why would cycling power to the Telo fix the problem, albeit temporarily??? I still have the same jitter when I do the test now as I did before!

My setup is Option 2b with the landline attached until after porting. My router/modem is a wireless one that has other things connected via wireless besides my main PC which is connect via ethernet cable.

There is no indication whatsoever when this problem appears. All lights are blue.

Anyone have any ideas?? I have about 2 weeks left that I can return this thing to Amazon.

Thanks,
Doug

Please send me an email with some example calls that failed for you.

Include time date and number dialed from.

Dante R

Post by Dante R » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:15 pm

Thanks for the email. I notice your account is in Land line mode. In this mode ooma does not handle your incoming phone calls, they are still handled by your local telephone company.

Can you try this test for me?

1. Remove telephone from Telo's "phone" port.
2. Plug phone directly into telephone jack in the wall (the same one that goes to the Telo's "Wall" port).
3. Call your land line number (from an outside line or a cell phone).

What happens when you do that?

wdnick

Post by wdnick » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:40 am

I will give this a shot when I get home tonight. However, calls are currently coming in so it may not tell us anything.

I will also try this next time that I am having "the problem."

This brings up another question for me. If the Telo is plugged into the land line, but disconnected from my router then I should get a regular dial tone, correct?

Thanks,
Doug

wdnick

Post by wdnick » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:28 pm

1. Remove telephone from Telo's "phone" port.
2. Plug phone directly into telephone jack in the wall (the same one that goes to the Telo's "Wall" port).
3. Call your land line number (from an outside line or a cell phone).
OK. SO I did this and was able to make calls from my line and receive them. At this time however, I am still able to make and receive calls with the Telo in the loop. I'm interested to see what happens when/if the "no incoming calls problem" happens again.

Doug

wdnick

Post by wdnick » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:09 pm

Now I have experienced the problem of no incoming calls again and done the test. Here is a summary...

When incoming calls are working, I can attach my phone directly to the wall and receive and make calls as normal. When incoming calls stop coming through, I can still attach my phone directly to the wall and receive and make calls as normal. The problem seems to me to be with the Telo and not the landline. I have never had a problem with missing calls until the Telo was put in the loop.

Once again...all lights on the device are blue. Incoming calls from multiple sources ring and ring and ring on those lines, but my phone never rings and Ooma voicemail never picks up. I can make outgoing calls with the Ooma dialtone. I can plug a phone directly into the wall and make and receive calls just fine.

Power cycling the Telo fixes the incoming call problem. However, it kills my internet connection on the attached computer indefinately. To get reconnected I have to restart my modem/router, the Telo, AND my computer. This is about a 4-5 minute process.

This is very frustrating and I have gotten no answers whatsoever from tech support for over a week now. My dry loop is scheduled for Nov. 20th, but I am leaning very much toward canceling that and returning my Telo to Amazon.

wdnick

Post by wdnick » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:19 am

This keeps happening. This makes about 8 times in about 6 weeks that it has just stopped receiving calls with NO indication other than a quiet phone.

I have gotten no response from Ooma support whatsoever other than "it's your landline's fault." If I unplug the Telo then my landline works fine and always has. The problem only occurs with the Telo in use.

I already have my number set to be ported soon. If going 100% through the Ooma system does not work, then what will Customer Support blame it on???

When I first got the Telo I was bragging about it at work and to friends. Now I am taking all the praise back and warning people. Hopefully I will be able to tell them it works fine after porting and they will have to be patient. I myself have been very patient, but it is wearing thin.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:03 am

Since your port is to happen soon it may not be worth the effort to you to change, but I would not recommend landline integration with the Telo for anyone planning to port their number over. Since in this case the existence of the landline is temporary, I think it makes more sense to keep the landline separate and use a temporary Ooma number for the Telo while waiting for the port to complete. If call forwarding is available on the landline you can use that to receive calls on your Telo-connected phones during the waiting period. Landline integration with the Telo has some problems that Ooma is still working on and adding that complicating issue for a temporary condition is not worth the trouble IMO.

hteinlin

Post by hteinlin » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:42 am

Wdnick have you checked out your modem?

You mentioned that you had DSL. I know when I had DSL my modem had an option to keep connection alive.
Ensure this is checked.

The reason your outgoing works is because when there is network activity the modem makes a connection that goes active.
However when there is no network activity the modem probably drops the internet connection.
Since the phone requires an internet connection constantly that may be the cause of it, no internet connection no phone call. Do you notice the Ooma tab going red at out when it hasn't been used for awhile?

I do not have the Telo I have the old style Hub, but if I don't have it powered and it is connected to the phone line, even calls via my integrated landline do not work. So it may be similar that by plugging the TELO in, if there are any connectivity issues, your phone will stop working.

The reason also your TELO may work after a restart is, when it boots up it seeks an internet connection again, so if your modem had disconnected it would reconnect again.

How is your PPPoE set up right now? Is it doing through the modem or through the TELO?
Try switching it and seeing if it helps.