Can send, but not receive faxes

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
nOOb
Re: Can send, but not receive faxes

Post by nOOb » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:44 am

Did that.

Actually, I disabled it and tried again. Sent fine, still no change on the receiving end. Since ooma should be open today, I am going to call tech support. Maybe I have a bad Telo???

CaptainKen

Post by CaptainKen » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:10 am

nOOb wrote:Did that.

Actually, I disabled it and tried again. Sent fine, still no change on the receiving end. Since ooma should be open today, I am going to call tech support. Maybe I have a bad Telo???

I am having the exact same problem, can send but not receive faxes. Let us know what the tech support people say.

nOOb

Post by nOOb » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:57 pm

I sent an email to ooma, but did not get a reply as of yet. I went ahead and called in to the support #. I was on the phone for 10 minutes, which isn't that bad. Bad news is that they told me that they are having trouble with some of the HP fax machines not working correctly. Basically - "Sorry that it doesn't work for you, but we cannot guarantee that faxing will work."

OK, fine, I guess back to the store it goes. I guess I will go back to the MagicJack, at least I can sometimes receive faxes with it. :cry:

I don't know, maybe not... I can't complain about the voice calling, and sending a fax is better than the MagicJack. I don't need to have the computer on to call or fax. Pros and cons, I guess...

CaptainKen

Post by CaptainKen » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:59 pm

nOOb wrote: they told me that they are having trouble with some of the HP fax machines not working correctly. Basically - "Sorry that it doesn't work for you, but we cannot guarantee that faxing will work."

Well I have a Brother Fax machine and I can send faxes fine but can't receive them either, do I don't think the blame goes to HP

nOOb

Post by nOOb » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:21 pm

I just received an email from the "technical" support. Basically, they copied from the support page and put it in an email. (change the ECM, baud, etc...) They also wrote this:
A common question comes up - why are faxes not guaranteed reliable 100% of the time when using VoIP technology? The reason has to do with how faxing was originally developed. The faxing protocol was originally developed for regular landlines. Unlike IP networks which route VoIP, landlines are fairly lossless. This makes faxes less resilient to dropped packets and delay inherently present in all IP networks today. ooma is currently looking into new ways to improve the reliability of faxing with the ooma system, including use of the T.38 FoIP protcol.
Just thought I would get everyone updated...

CaptainKen

Post by CaptainKen » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:34 pm

nOOb wrote:I just received an email from the "technical" support. Basically, they copied from the support page and put it in an email. (change the ECM, baud, etc...) They also wrote this:
A common question comes up - why are faxes not guaranteed reliable 100% of the time when using VoIP technology? The reason has to do with how faxing was originally developed. The faxing protocol was originally developed for regular landlines. Unlike IP networks which route VoIP, landlines are fairly lossless. This makes faxes less resilient to dropped packets and delay inherently present in all IP networks today. ooma is currently looking into new ways to improve the reliability of faxing with the ooma system, including use of the T.38 FoIP protcol.
Just thought I would get everyone updated...

That is pretty much the type of support you get from India.

couver

Post by couver » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:02 pm

I am having the same problem with the same machine (HP8500 Wireless). After reading and trying everything I could find for a solution, I am pretty convinced that the Telo is not handling the inbound fax properly -- seems a little too coincidental that you have to enable "Fax Mode" to allow the Telo to receive, but not the Hub. Does anyone know if there is a way to tell if the compression has truly been turned off (G711 codec enabled) after turning on "Fax Mode" in the user control panel?

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:09 pm

I believe the hub has the ability to detect the initial fax handshake and switch to fax mode.
The Telo apparently does not have this capability so far.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

nOOb

Post by nOOb » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:33 pm

The unfortunate thing is that I wanted to buy the original hub, not the Telo. I had understood that the original hub was better than the Telo for faxing. I went to Costco, Best Buy, Walmart - none had the original hub only the Telo. Is the original hub getting phased out?

Oh well... I am getting a phone line installed on Monday. I may be back to the Telo in the future, if this ever gets fixed. Great technology, just isn't there yet.

So much for sticking it to the man! :D

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:45 pm

nOOb wrote:The unfortunate thing is that I wanted to buy the original hub, not the Telo. I had understood that the original hub was better than the Telo for faxing. I went to Costco, Best Buy, Walmart - none had the original hub only the Telo. Is the original hub getting phased out?
I have both the hub/scout and the Telo. At the present time, there are some features I like better on the hub than the Telo - like the ability to have wired access to two lines. But the hub/scout will eventually be gone in many stores because the Telo is going to get all the new features. The Telo has a faster processor and runs a different VOIP softare.

But the good news is that the hub/scout (what ooma calls the "core" system) is still available at some great online retailers. Amazon.com has it in stock and shipping (make sure that you buy from Amazon and not one of their resellers who may not be an authorized dealer). Newegg.com has it, and Dell.com has it. I wouldn't give up until I tried the hub/scout. I think you will be pleased. :cool:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.