Just got the ooma, and have problems getting it up and on

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Thuan.Tran
Re: Just got the ooma, and have problems getting it up and on

Post by Thuan.Tran » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:25 pm

I have almost the same issue as yours. Mine is Ooma Telo that I just bought 2 days ago. After completing the activation online by using my current Vonage home phone #, need to turn off in 30 second and back on to get latest update. When I turn back on, I only see 2 solid blue light on Line 1 and 2. No light on the Ooma logo. I tried to press Brightness Adjustment but no luck. I have tried to contact 4 times to the customer supports but no use. I use the option 2b that connect my Ooma to the main router and the router to the Comcast cable. When I unplug and plug the Ooma power, I check on my router in the Attached Device, I see the Ooma MAC is assigned from my router with the valid private IP address. However, the Ooma MAC address is incorrect in the last digit #. Couple minutes, this IP address is gone.

I did try to connect my laptop to the Home Network connection from Ooma and launch either http://setup.ooma.com or http://172.27.35.1, but IE cannot display the webpage and I notified that my laptop IP address gets the local as 169.....

I don't know what is the Ooma tab reset on my Ooma Telo? Is it Ooma Logo? I did try to hold it during turn on Ooma power, but no luck.

Look like to trying for the less cost is useless, becuase of my time spent over two days already without luck and the Ooma technical support haven't helped much to make my device works.

The last support guy told me that need to let Ooma device with the power on 24 hours to get update. This is the last hope I can try before turning this device and keep my current Vonage.

It is very paintful to learn about new technogies that they say 1-2-3 steps setup in couple minutes to make a first phone call.

Please help me!!!

tommies

Post by tommies » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:10 pm

If your laptop or pc has an ip address of 169.x.x.x, your laptop does not have any connection at all. Most of the time a restart will fix it.

I have my Telo behind the router, so the best I could help is recomment you to use the same setup as mine:
  • reset your home LAN as it is before you bought ooma. Pull the power supply to the telo, ie turn it off, and unplug every thing attachted to it.
  • do a factory reset on the telo.
    Unplug the power from the back of the Telo and reconnect. As the Telo boots up, it will turn on each row of keys in order. When the bottom row turns off and the logo starts to flash red, press and "stop" and "trash" buttons at the same time and hold. The logo will then start to alternate between blue and red. Keep holding the "stop" and "trash" buttons until the logo turns off. You can then release and the Telo will reboot.
  • after the telo reboot, connect your laptop to its HOME port, reboot your laptop too, your laptop should has an ip of the form 172.27.35.x
    Point your browser to http://setup.ooma.com or http://172.27.35.1 (best if using IE or Firefox, Chrome is known to have problem)
  • go to Network page, change the MODEM port MAC address to use its build in MAC. Click Update
    Note: you will see two MAC's here, one is for the MODEM port, other for the HOME port, the HOME port MAC is printed on the label and being use as activation code. Both these MAC's are different by one.
  • Edit the DMZ will not working on the new telo firmware due to security concern.
    go to Advanced page, copy the HOME port ip into its own DMZ (it should be 172.27.35.1), click Update
    Note: the QoS setting here has no effect because it's sitting behind router and nothing attached to it.
    Do this instead:
    murphy wrote:On the Advanced page of the hub set up the following port forward
    Port Forwarding
    Rule Ports Type Forwarded To
    1 80 TCP 172.27.35.1
    Do not do this if you place the telo in front of the router. or you open ooma setup for the world to see.
  • connect the telo MODEM port, label 'to Internet' to a LAN port on your router
  • go to the Status page to see if the router assign an ip for the telo, keep hitting refresh if needed
    MODEM: Connected : [192.168.x.x]
    Writte down the ip address of the MODEM port, later you can connect to the ooma setup by using this ip from any pc with in your home LAN. The link above will no longer work after next step.
  • now you can disconnect your laptop from the telo and let the telo to continue it update routine. For most, it takes around 30minutes, however it might last longer, 1-2 hours for some. It's best to let it overnight (I did)
  • connect a phone set to the telo PHONE port. If the telo displays all solid blue, the phone should have a dial tone.
  • if something is wrong, there will be a pattern of red lights on the telo. you should post which button is red, and what the telo says on it Home+Status pages.
Important note: The connection to the Telo WALL port. Most new user focus on the diagram on the Quick start guide and not pay enough atttention to this.
During activation process, if you choose to
  • intergrated your existing land line to be used with ooma, a working phone line(with dial tone) needed to connect to the Telo WALL port. If not, the Telo will not work, and you will see this in the home page
    Phone Line: No phone line detected, check the phone line is properly connected.
  • No intergration,i.e. you will pick a new Ooma phone number(it will says temporary number if you choose to port your home phone to ooma later.) the WALL port should let empty, nothing connect to it.
Here is the sample of what my telo says, I choose no intergration.
on Status page
Network
MODEM: Connected : [192.168.x.x]
HOME: Disconnected
Ooma Tunnel: Connected
Services
Telephony: 416 - Running
DNS: 463 - Running
Web Server: 410 - Running
VPN: 704 - Running
Free: 213056
on home page
Your ooma Network is Connected (my phone number)
Internet: Connected
Ooma Core: Connected
Phone Line: Disconnected
Ooma Services
Phone Setup: Your phone line is configured for the ooma network
Second Line: Enabled
Voice Mail: Enabled
Last edited by tommies on Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
tommies

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:29 pm

That is about the most complete set of instructions you could possibly get. The only thing I might add is to make sure that laptop is set for DHCP in order to obtain an IP from the Telo.

Wayne

tommies

Post by tommies » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:19 pm

WayneDsr wrote:The only thing I might add is to make sure that laptop is set for DHCP in order to obtain an IP from the Telo.

Wayne
or I might say, make sure that the DHCP server is runing. The pc has an IP of 169.x.x.x is an indicator that either the DHCP server does not running or the DHCP client is not working.

In this case, probably the DCHP server is not working, and the telo might be bricked.
tommies

Dante R

Post by Dante R » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:09 pm

Thuan.Tran wrote:I have almost the same issue as yours. Mine is Ooma Telo that I just bought 2 days ago. After completing the activation online by using my current Vonage home phone #, need to turn off in 30 second and back on to get latest update. When I turn back on, I only see 2 solid blue light on Line 1 and 2. No light on the Ooma logo. I tried to press Brightness Adjustment but no luck. I have tried to contact 4 times to the customer supports but no use. I use the option 2b that connect my Ooma to the main router and the router to the Comcast cable. When I unplug and plug the Ooma power, I check on my router in the Attached Device, I see the Ooma MAC is assigned from my router with the valid private IP address. However, the Ooma MAC address is incorrect in the last digit #. Couple minutes, this IP address is gone.

I did try to connect my laptop to the Home Network connection from Ooma and launch either http://setup.ooma.com or http://172.27.35.1, but IE cannot display the webpage and I notified that my laptop IP address gets the local as 169.....

I don't know what is the Ooma tab reset on my Ooma Telo? Is it Ooma Logo? I did try to hold it during turn on Ooma power, but no luck.

Look like to trying for the less cost is useless, becuase of my time spent over two days already without luck and the Ooma technical support haven't helped much to make my device works.

The last support guy told me that need to let Ooma device with the power on 24 hours to get update. This is the last hope I can try before turning this device and keep my current Vonage.

It is very paintful to learn about new technogies that they say 1-2-3 steps setup in couple minutes to make a first phone call.

Please help me!!!

On Nov 5th at 7:29 PM PST your hub was nearly online. It was downloading and applying updated software.

At 7:30 PM it stopped communicating to our servers.

Couple of questions for you:

Is your Telo still connected the same way it was on Nov 5th?

What lights are currently displayed on your Telo?

Thuan.Tran

Post by Thuan.Tran » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:30 pm

Each technical support gave me different idea and still not working. Whatever they showed, my Ooma was showed solid green light on 1 & 2 and others had no light. I did spend 3 days fighting with this device and to the point I gave up and spent back to the seller to have the exchange as it was defective device. Hopefully, when I get new one I will do carefully to call for reactivation and should be happy to make a first call succeful without any paint.

Thanks,

Thuan

kleigh

Post by kleigh » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:35 am

Do yourself a favor next time, and after you plug in the telo to the network and turn it on, go have a nice lunch or take a 45 minute break. Let the Telo download any updates available to the phone. If you disrupt this download process, you can and likely will damage the Telo so it cannot be used. It looks like this is what happened with your Telo and why you have to send it back now for a new one.

gilem

Post by gilem » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:39 pm

Well I was having the same trouble as the other guy, and your instructions need some serious help. I left it and it certainly did update, but it took at least 30 minutes and many reboots in order to work. During this time, the web interface of the ooma did not indicate it was updating anything. In addition, the red light didn't come on with the unit out of the box, but did once it connected and updated. Any interface that indicated it was updating would have been very helpful, and prevented me from pulling the power on it many times. There should be a difference in leds from updating and from general failure. However, now that is is running, it is way cool.