Call Waiting

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
gtdurham
Call Waiting

Post by gtdurham » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:08 pm

How long does it take to have call waiting de-activated? I call in to Customer Service to have call waiting de-activate on Thursday and it's still active.

Dante R

Re: Call Waiting

Post by Dante R » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:04 pm

Unfortunately due to the current limitations of our system, disabling Call Waiting is not as easy as flipping a switch, Engineering has to physically alter code to disable it.

I see a ticket has been created and is currently awaiting attention. Please allow another 24-48 hours and it should be disabled for you.

feartheturtle

Post by feartheturtle » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:24 pm

Dante R:

A couple of questions on this subject, please:
1) Once call waiting is disabled will there be a standard "busy signal" sent to the "other caller?" Or will the call go to voice mail (VM)?
2) If the call is directed to VM will the call go to VM immediately, or will the line ring a few times first (and perhaps allow the Ooma user to pick-up the call if desired)?
3) Several days ago Bobby B posted that Ooma intended to allow users to disable/enable call waiting through the My.Ooma website. How soon will that happen? If it will be in the next week or so we can wait. But if you think it will be several months . . . I'll call Ooma support and get someone to initiate it immediately.
4) And finally, once this "disable/enable call waiting feature" is available for everyone, I assume that anyone who has call waiting disabled by Ooma support will regain control and be able to enable the feature through the My.Ooma website, correct?

Thanks!

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:45 pm

feartheturtle wrote: 1) Once call waiting is disabled will there be a standard "busy signal" sent to the "other caller?" Or will the call go to voice mail (VM)?
2) If the call is directed to VM will the call go to VM immediately, or will the line ring a few times first (and perhaps allow the Ooma user to pick-up the call if desired)?
They'll hear standard ringback and the call will eventually go to voicemail. It'll work the same way as dialing *70 (which disables call-waiting on a per number basis) before the number.
feartheturtle wrote: 3) Several days ago Bobby B posted that Ooma intended to allow users to disable/enable call waiting through the My.Ooma website. How soon will that happen? If it will be in the next week or so we can wait. But if you think it will be several months . . . I'll call Ooma support and get someone to initiate it immediately.
It'll probably be a few months - we were originally going to have this earlier, but this feature got pushed to the back burner with the Telo and Handset software development schedule taking priority.
feartheturtle wrote: 4) And finally, once this "disable/enable call waiting feature" is available for everyone, I assume that anyone who has call waiting disabled by Ooma support will regain control and be able to enable the feature through the My.Ooma website, correct?
Yep, that's correct.
Bobby B

feartheturtle

Post by feartheturtle » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:23 pm

Bobby, thanks for the response. Much appreciated!

DickRhoads

Post by DickRhoads » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:02 pm

Bobby B wrote:
feartheturtle wrote: 1) Once call waiting is disabled will there be a standard "busy signal" sent to the "other caller?" Or will the call go to voice mail (VM)?
They'll hear standard ringback and the call will eventually go to voicemail. It'll work the same way as dialing *70 (which disables call-waiting on a per number basis) before the number.
feartheturtle wrote: 3) Several days ago Bobby B posted that Ooma intended to allow users to disable/enable call waiting through the My.Ooma website. How soon will that happen? If it will be in the next week or so we can wait. But if you think it will be several months . . . I'll call Ooma support and get someone to initiate it immediately.
It'll probably be a few months - we were originally going to have this earlier, but this feature got pushed to the back burner with the Telo and Handset software development schedule taking priority.
feartheturtle wrote: 4) And finally, once this "disable/enable call waiting feature" is available for everyone, I assume that anyone who has call waiting disabled by Ooma support will regain control and be able to enable the feature through the My.Ooma website, correct?
Yep, that's correct.
Bobby --

Support disabled call waiting at my request, and this is what I'm seeing:
-- Caller hears about 4 rings before she goes to VM
-- Ooma phone hears one beep -- when the caller is transferred to VM

When we get my.ooma control of call waiting, I would prefer:
-- Caller goes immediately to VM, without hearing any rings
-- Ooma phone hears no beeps at all
(this is how my LEC VM used to work)