Ooma Telo Handset - Massive Fail

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
RealDave
Ooma Telo Handset - Massive Fail

Post by RealDave » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:49 pm

Saw the handset at my local BestBuy and thought "$50 is overpriced, but why not? I can buy one and I have access to everything and I can dim lit up pinball machine called the telo."

After looking at the box for a few minutes, I had the nagging feeling the telo handset looked like it was made by VTech and VTech has the annoying habit of leaving out the headset jack. I had them open up the box and sure enough, no headset jack.

Some people may not care, but to me, it doesn't matter what features it has. If it doesn't have a headset jack then it is useless.

murphy

Re: Ooma Telo Handset - Massive Fail

Post by murphy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:52 pm

What does a headset jack provide that the speakerphone doesn't?
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

dknyinva

Post by dknyinva » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:24 pm

Future development on the HS would support bluetooth.

daet

Post by daet » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:36 pm

murphy wrote:What does a headset jack provide that the speakerphone doesn't?
A modicum of privacy. Off course if the handset/base were to support Bluetooth, it would make the absence of a headphone jack irrelevant. I'm hoping that the handset will support Bluetooth.

DG
Ooma customer since April 2009
Ooma equipment: Hub ; Telo + 4 handsets
Ooma service: Annual Premier subscription

RealDave

Post by RealDave » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:34 pm

murphy wrote:What does a headset jack provide that the speakerphone doesn't?
A lack of noise.
Privacy.
Mobility.
Ability to wear the phone on the belt and still use it.
Ability to use a noise reducing microphone so the other person doesn't hear all the background noise.
And the elimination of that lovely "speaking through a barrel" sound effect.

BT would be nice but honestly that is just another device on my desk and power adapter + cable I have to route. And I've yet to find a BT headset that can be used all day without recharging.

Eliminating the headset jack was just a stupid oversight.

southsound

Post by southsound » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:40 pm

RealDave wrote:Eliminating the headset jack was just a stupid oversight.
I'm not sure if I would say it that strongly, but it would have made the phone much more usable for me if it had that feature. I am quite sure that many others feel like RealDave and I do about the lack of a jack. Might have added $0.50 or so to the cost.

I have two nice Uniden DECT 6.0 systems that I love - except they don't have headset jacks either! It seems like that is the norm for newer DECT 6.0 phones. I believe the Panasonic is the same (I only checked one, so I could be wrong).

I am having to use my Plantronics CT12 which kills my WiFi if I want to walk around the house while talking and doing whatever. I DO NOT want to use a speakerphone while I'm doing some gormet cooking in the kitchen. I DO NOT want to use a speakerphone when I'm counseling with one of our recovery clients. When my CT12 finally dies I'll replace it with a DECT 6.0 version of the same thing because I need a headset. I'll have to use the wired port on my Telo to make it work so I will lose use of the 2nd line. Bluetooth is limited to about 10 meters so even if they bring out a Bluetooth headset it will be unusable in a house that is 80' long.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Leeway

Post by Leeway » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:19 am

southsound wrote:[
I have two nice Uniden DECT 6.0 systems that I love - except they don't have headset jacks either! It seems like that is the norm for newer DECT 6.0 phones. I believe the Panasonic is the same (I only checked one, so I could be wrong).

Southsound, I bought new Panasonics Dect in the last 3 weeks and mine have the headset jacks.

Donna

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:52 am

I have to say all my phones have headset jacks, including my older 5.8 gig phones. I use a headset on longer calls, especially if I need to use the pc as I talk. Wifey doesn't care to hear both sides of the conversation, so headsets are the way to go for me.
If the Telo eventually has the ability to do bluetooth, then that will work for me, as the Telo is right by my pc. The other option of course is to use the headset jack on the Panasonic DECT 6 attached to the Telo.

Wayne

southsound

Post by southsound » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:30 am

I hate it when I make a purchasing mistake! I love the Unidens but for this one lack. I checked a Panny before I bought them and it did not have the jack - so I assumed that it was an industry-wide trend. I'd get a set of the Panny's but unfortunately I'm past the return period on the Unidens - and having 16 phones in the house already, my wife would call the folks with the nice white jackets and the sleeves that zip together. I guess I'll just have to use the CT-12 until it breaks then get the CT-14.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:51 am

I would prefer that the handset have a headset jack too, but from the OP's subject line I figured it must have jumped out of the box, opened his refrigerator, stole his lunch, ran out the back door, and then melted into a puddle of black goo in his driveway! :o