Outbound Caller ID Still Not Working

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
rschletty
Re: Outbound Caller ID Still Not Working

Post by rschletty » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:49 am

porpie wrote:
murphy wrote:
porpie wrote:I got mine working in about 30 minutes! I had the same problem with 2 lines I had ported to ooma. I called customer support to have the CID record updated (both were showing Null, Null). The phone call took quite a while, and they charged me $11.99 for each of the 2 changes. I was promised it would be done in 7-10 business days, but I saw my phone flicker about 30 minutes later. Out of curiosity I called from one line to the other and sure enough, the new caller ID info was displayed.
They shouldn't have charged you to fix broken CID if they set it to your name.
That charge is for someone that wants to change their CID to something else.
Yeah, I wondered about that, but didn't have the time or stamina to probe that issue. My caller ID for both of my ported lines was coming up "Null, Null" which is clearly broken... but I did ask them to set the ID as my business name, so in that case they may have charged me anyway.
Hey, porpie: How are you able to call from one Ooma line to the other? My call immediately goes into voice mail! I have Premium service with an Ooma Hub and Scout.
Last edited by rschletty on Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

bryanlyle

Post by bryanlyle » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:50 am

Calling Ooma -> Ooma has always worked for me. Ooma has complete control over what is displayed in this case.

Any calls to anyone else still shows Out of Area for me. I don't think this will ever be fixed for me.
follow me on twitter: @bryanlyle

rschletty

Post by rschletty » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:57 am

bryanlyle wrote:Calling Ooma -> Ooma has always worked for me. Ooma has complete control over what is displayed in this case.

Any calls to anyone else still shows Out of Area for me. I don't think this will ever be fixed for me.
Well, that's a kick in the head sideways. Here is what Bill from Support told me a week ago. He still hasn't written back.

------ Forwarded Message

Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 17:06:48 -0800

When you call from one (1) number on your account to the other, we assume you are trying to check your voice mail for that account, so we put you into the voice mail.

Let me see if we have a work around, I do not think we do, but I will chat with someone from the voice mail group in the morning.

Sincerely,

Bill
ooma Support

------ End of Forwarded Message
Last edited by rschletty on Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

bryanlyle

Post by bryanlyle » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:00 am

Sorry, I meant calling from one Ooma system to another Ooma system. Calling from line 1 to line 2 sends me to voice mail as well.

Surprised that Bill hasn't gotten back to you. He worked with me on a problem earlier this year.

rschletty

Post by rschletty » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:22 am

bryanlyle wrote:Sorry, I meant calling from one Ooma system to another Ooma system. Calling from line 1 to line 2 sends me to voice mail as well.

Surprised that Bill hasn't gotten back to you. He worked with me on a problem earlier this year.
Oh, I see. Well, I do want to call my wife, and vice versa, because my studio is in a separate part of the house. I really expected to be able to call from one line to the other, just like I could with our Qwest landlines. I'll have to move this issue to another thread.

Bill was fast and helpful with responses for the first couple weeks. I think this question stumped him.

bryanlyle

Post by bryanlyle » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:51 am

I wish there was a way to do this as well. I am in a similar situation. My home office is set apart from the house, so calling line 1 directly would be nice. Right now, I have to call my wife's cell phone.

TeeTee1

Post by TeeTee1 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:58 pm

This is an interesting and helpful post for me - let me explain my situation.
So I have had my Ooma service for some time now but my number use to belong to someone else and as a result when I call someone with caller id, it shows up with the former user's name. I contacted Ooma customer service 3 months after having my new number (which was not ported - it was a brand new number I selected), and they told me that it takes a while for other carriers to update their database.

Fine. I waited. So it's almost a year later - and apparently no carrier has updated their database. So I contact customer service AGAIN, and explaining the problem in detail, do you know what they told me? They said that I should have my friend or business associate call THEIR service provider to say these exact words "When my friend calls me from xxx-xxx-xxxx (your phone number) I get this on my caller id (whatever they get) but when he calls other people, it shows up correctly"

Are they INSANE? So I am supposed to call my business associates and friends and tell them to call their service provider and complain?

Of course I wrote back explaining this - and again another lame excuse -

And I quote " The Number that you have used to belong to another person, When we gave it to you, we updated the National services. When you call people Their phone company appends the data from their internal database, If they have old data, then, they will put that information up. If you have 75 friends with AT&T, only one of them has to complain to AT&T and AT&T will update their information from the national services.

Honestly sir, this is how the system has always worked. Some phone carriers have decided to cut costs, by not updating their data. Because they assume that none of their customers will complain. We have tried registering complaints, and it does no good. I am just trying to tell you what we have found to be the only way to resolve this issue. "

I have now polled several people with caller ids - and on Vonage, AT&T and Comcast - all have the incorrect information. So I am supposed to inconvenience MY friends and associates to place a call on MY behalf for a situation that is clearly Ooma's problem?

I am completely dissatisfied with this outcome and it seems it is easier to change MY NAME than to change the caller id.

bryanlyle

Post by bryanlyle » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:18 am

The frustrating part for me is, I ported my number (from Verizon) to Ooma, so you would think the caller id databases (if they haven't been updated in 8 months) would still have MY name associated with it.

Even my second number (supplied by Ooma) shows up as Unknown when I call people as well.

willp2

Post by willp2 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:11 am

OK, well to pile on a bit more here. I've had ooma for a year or so and we've had both lines outbound callerid blocked. So after about 10 months of service where everything was fine, when we call someone there is a number showing up, but its not ours.

So now, not only is our outgoing caller ID block not working, but its showing someone else’s number!

Of course when I called, I was told that it’s a problem with the other carriers and they need to updates their info.

I let them know that this is happening across multiple carriers so it seems very unlikely that the rest of the world is screwed up and ooma is fine.

So they asked me to open a new case and they say that they see the problem and they are working on it right now. Its been about a month now and they still say the same thing.

Really a bummer because I am quite happy with the service except for this.

dcist

Post by dcist » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:43 pm

I'm having the same problem! I am in Virginia and whether I call into DC, New York, or San Francisco, each time it shows up at Ooma on their system. This is a problem on Ooma's end and they need to get with it and fix it. There's already rumors the company is about to tank, could these small missteps be the tip of that?