Considering getting an ooma

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Hexdump
Considering getting an ooma

Post by Hexdump » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:30 am

as a replacement for magic jack.

But I am not sure the problems I am having are with MJ, my PC or my I/P provider.

I tried going to a site that supposedly would do a pre-assessment of my connection but it says it cannot complete because:
1) Unable to measure jitter
2) Unable to measure Packet loss

Any ideas on how I can test to see if ooma will improve my VOIP ?

In the middle of calls, sometimes one of the parties will be unable to hear the other or there will be a period of dead space for about 5 seconds. Very annoying. Happens on a long call. > 15 minutes or about once a week on the silence thing.

My connection looks like this:

I/P provider is ATT Uverse cable
Cable modem is upstairs.
PC is connected to modem via wireless with Linksys Wireless-G 2.4GHZ
Phone is a Panasonic KX-TG1032 DECT 6.0
Downstairs are 2 panasonic wireless phones

murphy

Re: Considering getting an ooma

Post by murphy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:39 am

The first thing is you can do is to hard wire your computer to the modem to run the test. That wireless connection is the source of many of your problems.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:40 am

If you are running MJ on the wireless connected PC, Ooma will certainly improve your call quality. The Ooma Hub or Telo is independent of your PC and is connected by wire directly to your modem (where it can provide QoS prioritization) or to your router.

Neubiee

Post by Neubiee » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:22 pm

Hexdump -
Just wanted to let you know that OOMA comes with 30 days money back guarantee. What I could suggest is pick one up from a Big box retailer like Costco, they have quite a liberal customer satisfaction policy.

And like others suggested. connect your OOMA box directly to the Modem or to the router. Here are couple of ways you can connect your ooma for optimal connection.

MODEM---->OOMA---->Router-->PC/wifi laptops.etc

Or Alternatively:

MODEM---->Router---->OOMA
............. ||
............. PC

Sylph

Post by Sylph » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:46 am

Groundhound wrote:If you are running MJ on the wireless connected PC, Ooma will certainly improve your call quality. The Ooma Hub or Telo is independent of your PC and is connected by wire directly to your modem (where it can provide QoS prioritization) or to your router.
Yup, and just get a cheap wireless phone with DECT 6.0 technology or something. I don't know if Telo phones use DECT 6.0 too? Ooma works great for me.

check out speedtest.com for your bandwidth and ping

eldiosyeldiablo

Post by eldiosyeldiablo » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:12 am

The handset is DECT 6.0

Gaelic1

Post by Gaelic1 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:38 am

I have my Ooma Hub connected directly to my modem. My Ooma scout is in another room where I have my Panasonic Dect 6 phones connected. There are 5 of them scattered throughout my home. It all works beautifully. My fax works as well. It is a solid system, My caller ID is spoken by my Panasonic handsets and It shows up on my TV screen since Dish Network is also on this system. I can't think of a more dependable system at this time with this quality. :D