Uniden phone doesn't pickup calls right away

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
bsg
Uniden phone doesn't pickup calls right away

Post by bsg » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:27 pm

Dear Support Forum,

First off thanks for reading this and giving a shot at resolving this ;)

It seems when people call me the cordless base rings but sometimes the actual Uniden phone handset doesn't pick it up right away. I have to keep trying to pickup the call while it says "Searching...". After about the 3rd or 4th ring, the handset picks up.

This issue also occurs when I try to place an outgoing call. I have my cordless handset connected to the hub. The hub goes through a normal router which goes through a wireless router. I tried placing my hub right after my modem, and same issue. It doesn't seem like where the hub is placed is doing anything.

Any ideas? or what I can check to troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks gang!

southsound

Re: Uniden phone doesn't pickup calls right away

Post by southsound » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:37 pm

Could you tell us a little about the Uniden cordless? Is it a 2.4ghz model or a newer DECT 6.0 phone? Are you fairly close to the base or near the nether reaches of its range? Do you have a wireless router? Can you make outgoing calls on the cordless without a problem? After we know some of the details, maybe we can help!

OOPS - almost forgot. Welcome to ooma and to the forums! :cool:

Edit: just noticed about the outgoing calls. Sorry.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

bsg

Post by bsg » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:07 am

Thanks for the quick response and welcome!

I have a Uniden DECT 6.0. You can find details on it at http://www.uniden.com/products/productd ... t=DECT1080

I'm literally at my desk that is about 5 ft from the base. My setup is as follows:

MODEM (I think it's Fiberoptics) ==> Wireless Router (DLINK DIR-615) ==> Router/Hub (Linksys) ==> Ooma Hub ==> Cordless Phone (Uniden Dect 1080)

I hope that information helps. Let me know if there is any additional information that can help identify what I can do to figure out the cause.

Thanks Again!

hpepper

Post by hpepper » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:53 am

I have a very similar Uniden model and have no problems with it.

A couple more suggestions: Try re-registering the Uniden handset to the Uniden base (per instructions) Start with removing the battery in the Uniden handset first.

Second suggestion is - do you have a plain old telephone you can test with? Unplug the Uniden and test with a plain wired phone - if all works well, you have narrowed it down to the Uniden phone. Is it a new Uniden phone? Could you test the same Uniden phone at a neighbor or family member's house?

...and along with Southsound - welcome to Ooma!

bsg

Post by bsg » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:06 pm

Thanks for the suggestion hpepper.

Your suggestion about resetting the handset had be analyze the handset in the base, as it turns out the handset in the base is actually the extension handset. I'm guessing I must have mixed them up when I was installing Ooma. I swapped the two handsets and as of right now the handset in the base seems to be working well, I hope it continues.

As for the extension handset it is downstairs in the kitchen maybe about 30ft plus from the base, but it's in the extension charger. It seems to still be searching every now and then, I'm guessing it's a bit far. I'm not sure if it's the extension handset that needs to be closer or the extension charger. Any ideas as to which is getting the signal from the base?

Thanks for all your help guys!

southsound

Post by southsound » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:19 pm

The charger is just that - no active receive/transmit capability. But I'm a little surprised at the problem you are having with only 30' range before problems connecting. I also use Uniden DECT 6.0 phones - I have two of the 1580-5 sets (total 10 handsets - I know, that may be overkill) and range is well over 80'. Not sure what could be causing the problem - maybe the one handset is beginning to fail.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

bsg

Post by bsg » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:13 pm

The 2nd handset is till having trouble getting signal, and goes into its "searching" mode. As for the 1st handset (attached to the base) overall it seems to be doing good. I have had it go into "searching" mode only once so far, so it is an improvement.

Not sure what else I can do.