Ooma Scout Does Not Work Properly

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
tommies
Re: Ooma Scout Does Not Work Properly

Post by tommies » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:28 pm

I just realized I posted to a DSL setup thread so my apologies. I have not bothered to think through how a DSL fed home would affect this method of installation which is why I mentioned that this method is for a cable installation. With a DSL system you basically have 3 signals to deal with; DSL, Phone signal and Scout signal. Some one else could probably help me get back on track with this thread but I would think that you could still feed the phone signal from the Hub back to the Line 1 side of the house wiring, combining the DSL and hub phone signal on L1 and still save L2 for the Scout signal? Just not sure if you need to run through a DSL splitter/filter or not. And then for every other phone device that connects to L1 you would need the DSL filter.
The answer is no. On paper, ooma's dial tone can co-exit with the telco DSL signal, Unfortunately, it is not safe to do so because it back feed the ooma dial tone not only to Line 1 but also to to the telco main circuit too. It like running your own power generator for the house without proper cut off the main circuit to the power grid outside. It is dangerous.
Last edited by tommies on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tommies

tommies

Post by tommies » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:31 pm

coolcats wrote:I cannot get the Ooma Scout to work on other jacks throughout the house. I can get it to work if I hook it directly up to the Ooma hub. But if I follow the installation diagram, use the supplied splitter, and run it back through the house wiring -- no dice.

I have active DSL on the line, and a still-active landline pending the number port. The landline signal is present on every jack. I do not have any DSL filters installed on the jacks that I am trying to hook the scout up to.

Other than the scout not working, Ooma has been great for the few days I've had it. I would appreciate any advice on what I can do to get the scout to work properly.
read this thread for some diagram & pictures viewtopic.php?f=2&t=658 of how to get the scout work with DSL
tommies

GearGuy

Post by GearGuy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:37 am

tommies wrote:
I just realized I posted to a DSL setup thread so my apologies. I have not bothered to think through how a DSL fed home would affect this method of installation which is why I mentioned that this method is for a cable installation. With a DSL system you basically have 3 signals to deal with; DSL, Phone signal and Scout signal. Some one else could probably help me get back on track with this thread but I would think that you could still feed the phone signal from the Hub back to the Line 1 side of the house wiring, combining the DSL and hub phone signal on L1 and still save L2 for the Scout signal? Just not sure if you need to run through a DSL splitter/filter or not. And then for every other phone device that connects to L1 you would need the DSL filter.
The answer is no. On paper, ooma's dial tone can co-exit with the telco DSL signal, Unfortunately, it is not safe to do so because it back feed the ooma dial tone not only to Line 1 but also to to the telco main circuit too. It like running your own power generator for the house without proper cut off the main circuit to the power grid outside. It is dangerous.
Ok, I see what you are saying. Even a Dry-Loop DSL connection could still cause a signal problem with the telco service.

Assuming that a landline is not combined with DSL from the telco service...

It would seem that running a dedicated line for the DSL signal to the modem would be the cleanest, allowing for use of the home wiring system for signal distribution if disconnected from the telco service. This way you wouldn't need DSL filters when plugging into a Line 1 signal anywhere in the house.

Or you could rewire the DSL signal through L2 and use one L1&L2 splitter to feed the DSL modem off of L2. This would allow you to combine the Hub Phone signal and Scout HPNA signal on L1 back through the house. Then no DSL filter would be required on L1 for dial tone as long as L1 is disconnected from the telco service.

Or you could combine the Ooma Hub Phone signal with the Scout HPNA signal and push it through the house on Line 2. In which case each outlet would require a L1 & L2 splitter to access Line 2 for dial tone.

So many options...

tommies

Post by tommies » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:49 pm

GearGuy wrote: Ok, I see what you are saying. Even a Dry-Loop DSL connection could still cause a signal problem with the telco service.

Assuming that a landline is not combined with DSL from the telco service...

It would seem that running a dedicated line for the DSL signal to the modem would be the cleanest, allowing for use of the home wiring system for signal distribution if disconnected from the telco service. This way you wouldn't need DSL filters when plugging into a Line 1 signal anywhere in the house.
Yes, but for some this may not be feasible. BTW, this is called a home run.
Or you could rewire the DSL signal through L2 and use one L1&L2 splitter to feed the DSL modem off of L2. This would allow you to combine the Hub Phone signal and Scout HPNA signal on L1 back through the house. Then no DSL filter would be required on L1 for dial tone as long as L1 is disconnected from the telco service.
Yes, this is what I do.
Or you could combine the Ooma Hub Phone signal with the Scout HPNA signal and push it through the house on Line 2. In which case each outlet would require a L1 & L2 splitter to access Line 2 for dial tone.
Yes and No.
A. Yes, this works if you keep your number separated from ooma, i.e. incoming call to land line will not ring on ooma

If you port your number to ooma
B1, during the port process, this will not work
B2, after the port completed, this will work

Bottome line, in A&B2, ooma WALL port do not require a working dial tone, so you can combine signals from ooma WALL port/for scout and PHONE port/for dial tone.

In B1, ooma requires a working land line feeded into WALL port. In this situation, the dial tone from PHONE port cannot mix in.
tommies