Call Waiting problems: no ringback, no CID

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
nbr
Call Waiting problems: no ringback, no CID

Post by nbr » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:01 pm

I am a new user. I bought an Ooma Telo about two weeks ago, ported my number (the port completed two days ago), and even bought a Premier subscription. I'm having some trouble with Call Waiting.

When I'm on a call and someone else phones me, they hear nothing on their end. Just silence, no ringback of any kind. If they wait long enough (I'm not sure exactly how long, but definitely more than four rings), eventually they will hear a fast busy signal and will be disconnected. Their call does not go to voicemail; it's just dropped.

On my end, while I'm on the phone and someone calls in, I hear a call waiting tone. After every other tone, I hear that scratchy data transmission noise, as if caller ID information were being sent, but I don't see any caller ID information on my phone display. (I am using a Uniden DECT-1560-2. Caller ID works fine otherwise when I receive calls.) If I press the flash key at that point, I can pick up the second call, switch back and forth between lines one and two, and connect them into a three-way conference call. That's all fine.

So -- here's my question. Can anyone confirm for me that:

(1) Calls that come in on the second line while the first line is busy (i.e., call-waiting calls) ought to hear a ringback tone on the originating caller's end?
(2) On my end, when I'm on a call and receive a second call, I ought to be able to see caller ID information?
(3) When I don't answer the second line after hearing the call waiting tone, the call ought to be sent to voicemail?

Does anyone else have similar problems? How is this supposed to work?

Thanks,

Nathan

UPDATE:
I just looked in my call log and found, oddly, that when I tried this experiment myself (I placed an outbound call, then used my mobile phone to call my Ooma number, and just waited to see what happened), the Ooma system seemed to treat that second call -- the "call waiting" call -- as three separate phone calls. I'm attaching a screenshot of the log. The 610-716-xxxx number is my mobile phone. As you can see, Ooma thinks I got three calls from that number, when I only actually dialed once.
ooma call log screenshot 20091112.png
Call log screenshot, 2009-Nov-12
ooma call log screenshot 20091112.png (24.54KiB)Viewed 8477 times

Belosh

Re: Call Waiting problems: no ringback, no CID

Post by Belosh » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:59 pm

i have been complaining about similar problems and no one has replied with an answer. when i get the data transmission sounds trying to click over to another call, sometimes i have to reset my telo or i cant even get a dial tone.

call waiting caller id never works. the second caller doesnt hear a ring, and the second caller doesnt go to voicemail.

very annoying.

my wife will make me cancel this soon if it doesnt get resolved

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:46 am

For the no ringback issue on the 2nd incoming call, we're tracking this bug internally in "6616: Telo: caller does not hear ring back tone if other ooma line is already in a call" We anticipate the fix will be rolled out this weekend or sometime before the end of next week.

For the no call-waiting caller-ID issue, we're tracking this one in " 5984: Telo: call waiting caller-id is not displayed" This feature was working before, but it seems to have stopped working properly in the latest builds. We're actively working on the fix now.
Bobby B

nbr

Post by nbr » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:46 pm

Thank you for the information. How about the voicemail issue? Ordinarily should a call-waiting call that isn't picked up get sent to voicemail?

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:11 pm

Yep, 2nd incoming calls should get sent to voicemail if you switch over to it or if you don't pick it up on another handset.
nbr wrote:Thank you for the information. How about the voicemail issue? Ordinarily should a call-waiting call that isn't picked up get sent to voicemail?
Bobby B

nbr

Post by nbr » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:15 pm

Thanks. So far I'm not seeing any change on any of these problems. Any news? Second caller still doesn't hear a ringback tone, the second call still doesn't go to voicemail, and there's still no caller ID information displayed for the second call.

Is there any way for users to track the status of those bugs you mentioned earlier?

Belosh

Post by Belosh » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:46 pm

bump for a reply

Belosh

Post by Belosh » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:13 am

this is a pretty big issue that still has no solution

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:36 am

Belosh wrote:this is a pretty big issue that still has no solution
I just tested the second caller ringback & VM issue and it worked for me. So is it still not working for you?

Belosh

Post by Belosh » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:52 pm

actually call waiting now is working. but i am still not getting caller id on the second call.