Disable Ooma connection tone and get caller id to show up

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
chichibish
Disable Ooma connection tone and get caller id to show up

Post by chichibish » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:06 pm

I have two issues.

1- I can't get the Ooma connection tone to disable. I have disabled it in the system preferences and have waited plenty of time (weeks) for it to take place. It also won't change to any of the other tone options. Anyone else have luck with this?

2- How long does it take for my caller ID to show up on others' phones as my real name and not Ooma Inc.?

Any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated.

Groundhound

Re: Disable Ooma connection tone and get caller id to show up

Post by Groundhound » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:16 pm

1. So when you call someone and they answer, do they hear the tone?

2. Outbound CNAM (callerID-name) can take quite a while to propagate, several weeks or longer in some cases is not unusual.

hpepper

Post by hpepper » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:43 pm

1. I am thinking you are referring to the actual Ooma tone you here when you pick up a phone/handset to make a call? If it is, there is no way to disable that. You can start to dial immediately after you pick up a phone/handset... you don't have to wait for the Ooma tone to fade into regular dialtone.

2. Although it can take a long time, sometimes they don't complete it. I suggest giving CS a call just to make sure.

chichibish

Post by chichibish » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:26 am

So when you call someone and they answer, do they hear the tone?
Yes, this is the one I am trying to disable. Have you been able to disable that? Supposedly all you have to do is change the setting in system preferences, but it doesn't work for me.

I'll wait a few more months to see if the CNAM changes.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:23 am

chichibish wrote:
So when you call someone and they answer, do they hear the tone?
Yes, this is the one I am trying to disable. Have you been able to disable that? Supposedly all you have to do is change the setting in system preferences, but it doesn't work for me.
Mine has been disabled for some time, but as a test I just tried to change it, and even after waiting for several minutes the change did not occur. Possibly a bug with my.ooma. Hopefully an Ooma Mod will see this thread and comment.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:23 am

chichibish wrote:
I'll wait a few more months to see if the CNAM changes.
https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeb ... am-display

southsound

Post by southsound » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:05 am

Good luck on the CNAM change. It doesn't always work like the knowledgebase says. I bought my ooma hub in February, 2009. I have made no less than 10 calls to ooma customer support. Some resulted in tickets being opened, others told me that the problem had been fixed at their end and still others just said it takes time. My CNAM still comes up as Unavailable with this line when I call Qwest numbers (my local landline company). So I thought that it just must be that Qwest was cheap and chose not to dip into the "database well" but several times a year. My ooma number for the hub is 360 XXX-XX60.

I got my Telo in late August. The number I chose for this system was just 20 numbers off from my hub: 360 XXX-XX80. Was I ever surprised when my Qwest CID reported the correct CNAM for this number - in less than two weeks! So go figure. Same landline, same area code and prefix, even the same block of numbers and I get the correct CNAM for one number and Unavailable for the other. Please don't tell me it is Qwest's fault! If they got the name for the Telo number then they should have gotten the name update for the hub number - if it was there.

Of course, YMMV. :shock:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:00 pm

Have you ever contacted Quest and complained that calls to your landline from your Ooma number show up as "Unknown".

It may be that they could do something on their end to update their database. Just don't tell them that the Ooma number is yours.

chichibish

Post by chichibish » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:50 pm

Update on the connection tone: I was currently assigning it a static IP address so I could configure QoS based on that. I had also changed the setting to use the built in MAC address. I took those off and reverted back to the automatic settings then saw which MAC address came through and configured QoS based on it and now the connection tone is gone .... wierd, but it seemed to work. Looks like the CNAM stuff will take a while or may not ever fix according to some of these threads.