Telo and Voicemail

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
tigercruise
Telo and Voicemail

Post by tigercruise » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:57 am

I have my Ooma set up at a second home. When we leave we turn off the power to the Tevo. When the number is called it goes right to voicemail BUT it appears since the unit is turned off the voice is not recorded or saved. So, my question is this: does the Tevo have to be powered up to get voicemail? I would have thought the voicemail would have been recorded on Ooma's servers (like Vonage for example) and thus could be retrieved or received via email.

southsound

Re: Telo and Voicemail

Post by southsound » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:01 pm

Not sure about the Tevo since I used ReplayTV and now have Dish DVR's. But if you are talking about ooma's TELO, then the voicemail is indeed stored in ooma's servers. You should be able to retrieve the messages online or from a phone calling in, then accessing your voicemail remotely.

Note that you must have your voicemail account set up to make this work.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:03 pm

Voice mail is stored on Ooma's servers. The person leaving the voice mail must start talking within 5 seconds or the system will assume they don't want to leave a message and disconnect. Many people refuse to talk to a machine and will not leave a voice mail message.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

tigercruise

Post by tigercruise » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:08 pm

lol. So I can't type. I meant the Telo. My voicemail is setup. I called and left a message but the message is NOT in my inbox in My Ooma and it has not been sent to my email ( I set it up to forward voicemail messages). So, where's the message?

tigercruise

Post by tigercruise » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:14 pm

I just tried to leave a message and as I'm talking I hear, "We cannot hear you. Thank you for using the Ooma broadband machine. Good bye." and then a hang up. What the hell is that?

tigercruise

Post by tigercruise » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:31 pm

I'll ask again. If the Internet is down and the Telo is NOT powered up, will voicemail work? It appears it does not. When I call my Ooma number from another location I get the outgoing message and the tone to leave a message but when you talk, you get the goofy message I left in the previous post.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:35 pm

tigercruise wrote:I'll ask again. If the Internet is down and the Telo is NOT powered up, will voicemail work? It appears it does not. When I call my Ooma number from another location I get the outgoing message and the tone to leave a message but when you talk, you get the goofy message I left in the previous post.
It should go to voicemail if you don't have call forward on network outage set (this does not appear to be the problem). I don't know why yours is not working, you probably need to call tech support.

tigercruise

Post by tigercruise » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:49 pm

Well that was an exercise in futility. The call reminded me of when I use to call Tracfone. They keep putting you on hold for two minutes because they have no idea how to fix your problem. Finally the young lady told me to re-set my Telo. Fat chance. Something about holding the trash button and some other button down to re-set. I think Ooma's voicemail software has a problem.

tigercruise

Post by tigercruise » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:04 pm

I am pleased to report that voicemail is now working when the Telo is off and there is no Internet connection - thanks to Veronica. :D