Scout - no landline Where do I connect?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
financeguy
Scout - no landline Where do I connect?

Post by financeguy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:52 pm

I have no jacks or landlines since I was a vonage customer. My hub is connected to my fax number as was advised. How do I now connect my main line to the scout? The WALL connection on back of the scout is not CAT 5 so I can't connect it to the router.
I can connect my phone wire to the phone port in the scout plug in the power cord then what? All I get is 4 red lights. Simple question. Is there a simple answer.
Thanks in advance.

WayneDsr

Re: Scout - no landline Where do I connect?

Post by WayneDsr » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:05 pm

I have my hub and scout on the same desk for convenience. Just plug the WALL out on the hub to the WALL on the Scout.

I have a separate phone plugged into the Scout to utilize line 2.

Hope this answers your question.

Wayne

financeguy

Post by financeguy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:22 pm

Thanks Wayne. Sounds good I'll try that. It would be nice if that was in the manual. No mention of the scout connection other than to a phone jack.

cetacea

Post by cetacea » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:53 am

Agreed! :)

It should always be a first step to try the Scout directly off the Ooma hub to verify that all is well.

Once that step is complete, if the Scout is to be located elsewhere in the home and hookup via the house wiring fails, it's a dead "ringer" that there's a problem with the home's wiring that is interfering with the successful operation of the Scout.

Since many folks, myself include, are using wireless handsets, it makes a "whole lotta sense" to keep the base stations together right next to the Hub and Scout, all tied together, thereby foregoing the house wiring in favor of a wireless solution.

I've a feeling this is the implementation that the Ooma Telos will be pushing, given the limited coverage I've read about it on the net, with matching wireless handsets available to be paired with the Hub.

financeguy

Post by financeguy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:09 pm

Oh boy - I connected the wall of scout to the wall of hub as suggested. Now my main line does not receive any calls!
I do get a dial tone and if If I call out from my main line the caller ID on receiving phone displays my fax line number not the main line number.

I think I am basically screwed here. There are not any more outputs or inputs I can use. My big mistake was switching my business phone line to ooma because something like this might happen. Now I don't receive any calls. Help Please! What do I do?

unit321

Post by unit321 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:19 pm

Go to the ooma Lounge and change your outgoing caller ID number under Preferences/Privacy, and assign your main number to the scout under Preferences/Phone Numbers. That should take care of your issues.

financeguy

Post by financeguy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:38 pm

That is exactly what a support rep just did. He needed to create a new private line (new account) and move the number over to it. Now it works.

I have no idea how you knew that but nice going!

Thanks.