International Call Quality

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
FabiosOoma
Re: International Call Quality

Post by FabiosOoma » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:23 pm

I activated and installed my Ooma Telo an hour ago, and called Ecuador today 12-09-2009 around 9pm. During the first call, I heard my own voice echo every few seconds, so I hun gup and tried calling again a minute later. The second time I called I didn't hear my echo, but I heard a faint static sound in the background. During both calls, the same person on the other end heard me very clear, without any echos and no static. What could be the reason behind this iffy call QOS?

sldfjl

Post by sldfjl » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:55 pm

I don't think its any of your settings. I have the same problem, it only happens with international calls to mexico. Either one party cannot hear the other or there is echo. I've emailed support about this, but haven't gotten a response. i keep trying international calls, but they don't work.

Joanz

Post by Joanz » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:06 pm

just made a call to China and had the same problem. Finally got connected after 3 tries, however was dropped after 15 minutes talk. I heard the person fine while she said she felt the delay of my voice. Don't know if I should keep Ooma or not.

Joanz

Post by Joanz » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:07 pm

rickdom wrote:I have the same issue of calling Taiwan. 50% chance the call will be connected but we can not hear each other. 25% change the call Quality is lower than acceptable (choppy/echo/no clear sound)

Enviroment: Cox cable 5M/down 2M/UP.
same here.

mongillo

Post by mongillo » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:36 am

I frequently call Italy and have a continuous problem with delays. The voice quality is generally fine, but the delays make the service difficult to use.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Tony

scooterdog

Post by scooterdog » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:37 pm

I just started using the Ooma Hub as we had the number ported only a few days ago.

For New Years Eve we used a VOIP-based calling card to China with the Ooma and it worked fine, the call was for about 30 minutes, and the cost at $0.022 was slightly less than Ooma's (although at $0.023-0.025 it is a fraction of a cent per minute - only $0.09 more for a 30 minute call - and we'll try the Ooma long-distance next week).

Davesworld

Post by Davesworld » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:13 am

Aveamantium wrote:*99 uses the uncompressed G711 Codec (about 80kbps), where a default call is compressed and uses about 40kbps.
Wrong answer, the g.711 codec is most certainly a compressed as well as lossy codec. I wish people would quit repeating misinformation.

craiglester

Post by craiglester » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:59 am

I just wanted to say how impressed I am with the International call quality.
Calling from Denver to England, I used to use 1010987, which was ok.. then switched to Google voice recently. Google voice was pretty poor, and almost unusable on speakerphone, lost of echo and hiss.

I just got off the phone using my new Ooma, and my dad in England was amazed at the voice quality.. said it sounded like I was calling from next door. He said it was crystal clear, so much so that he didn't realize it was me calling, as he'd gotten used to rotten calls from the US. I myself was pretty impressed with the call quality too.. If this is with the normal quality.. what will the HD sound like?

Color me impressed.. (although the rates are higher than Google, the quality is leagues better)

Soundjudgment

Post by Soundjudgment » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:10 pm

This is why we are clamoring for Ooma to get their own Google Voice extensions rolled out to Telo users. GV management features, mixed with Ooma's new sound codec / high quality. Soon to be the best of Both worlds. :cool:
ooma customer since December 2008
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Premier, Lifetime Member
<< The following line intentionally left blank >>

Anoop

Post by Anoop » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:46 am

Hi ,

I have issues calling to India through ooma.
-> I can hear the person on the other end but they can't hear my voice.
-> The minutes are getting reduced for each call even if no one picks up.

Please let me know if anyone has similar issues.