Ooma slowing down connection

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
cprompt
Re: Ooma slowing down connection

Post by cprompt » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:16 pm

Hi WayneDSR

Thanks for the info you have provided. I am now at my store, and have hooked the ooma hub to the phone line, using the DSL filter, and it seems to be working fine, without any significant loss of speed. I cannot understand why the directions say NOT to use the filter in my situation!

However, I have NOT yet been able to get the Scout device to work. I have it plugged in, with a filter, and all I get are red lights across the bottom row of buttons. The dial tone from this phone is the normal dial tone, not the ooma dial tone, so clearly I am not on ooma with this phone.

IT sure seems that you are correct about the DSL signal between the two devices. I do not know how I am going to eliminate that without spending some time chasing wires and isolating the one used for DSL.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Right, ooma hub cannot connect to the scout with the filters inline.

Remove the filters, Scout will connect and your internet will die. Same goes on here.
Your only other option is to separate your dsl from your landline. It's called Dry Loop. You have to request it through your phone provider.
The phone company would put your dsl on line one and your phone number and voice on line 2. (or vice versa)
Each phone jack in the wall should have another free pair for line 2.

Maybe support could read this topic and reply. Seems like this dsl thing is becoming a real issue.
Wayne

southsound

Post by southsound » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:18 pm

cprompt,

I believe that the Wilcom PS-15 will solve your problem. Click the following link to see how it is wired: http://www.wilcominc.com/product_pdfs/P ... ematic.pdf

You just need to put the PS-15 before all the rest of the phone wiring - and when you do, you can hook up the scout as required. The leads that feed the telephones are completely free of DSL signal, but will pass the required signals for the Scout to work. In this application, you will NOT need any additional DSL microfilters or splitters.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

cprompt

Post by cprompt » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:30 am

Hi southsound

Now that I understand the problem with the filters, the device you mention definitely appears to solve the problem, and will be a fairly easy install. I'm going to order one and put it in, and will post back the results once it's running.

Thanks for the link!

av8rdude

Post by av8rdude » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:55 am

Is it possible to isolate the line that runs to the dsl modem? If you could do that you wouldn't need any hardware. Just make sure the line going to the modem is the only wire connected to the phone company. Then make sure all the rest of the wiring is connected in parallel. But this would require a second phone outlet near the hub.
Cheers,
Scott

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:14 am

Yes, that would work fine if we didnt need our landline services on that line also. I would use it so the landline would back up the ooma if the network went down.
Cprompt needs phone on the line to connect via dial up.

Looks like that filter might do it. Let me know if it does, Cprompt.

Wayne

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:22 pm

Looks like I may have solved my problem. This came from another post with a similar issue.
Locate your phone box where your telco lines come in.
In this box I have an unused line 2 connection.
I plugged my dsl/phone splitter into line one IN and connected the DSL side of the splitter to line ONE. I took all other wiring off line 1 except the line to my modem.
On the line 2 block, I disconnected the wire from the telco and left it unhooked.
I connected the PHONE output of the DSL filter to line 2. I moved all wiring from line 1 to line 2 (except my modem line) so that only the dsl is on line 1 and only filtered phone is on line 2.

In the house I have a wall jack with 2 connecters on it, it was originally there for a 2 line system. One jack has the dsl connection from the telco end and I wired the second jack for the line with the filtered phone.
The hub is connected to this phone jack via WALL.

In the other room the wall jack is fed by the phone side of the dsl/phone filter, (line 2). I have the 2 jack adaptor that came with ooma attached to this line. One side goes to the ooma Scout and the other goes to a phone for the landline.
I get land line connection and hub/scout connection with no internet slowdowns. I can also use the landline with no problem.
If my network goes down or ooma shuts off, the landline takes over on all ooma phones.
I thought I tried this out before and it didn't work, however I checked polarity and found the second line wired backwards. I'm not sure if this fixed the problem or not, but so far all works, no slowdown.

--->telcoline-1--->dsl/splitter DSL ------> wall plug---->modem
||||||||
dsl/splitter PHONE--> line2--->2nd jack on wall for modem
and the rest of the house.

I hope this helps, it sounds confusing to me as well, now that I read it!
I'll keep this hooked up over night and see what happens.

Wayne

cprompt

Post by cprompt » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:44 am

It's been a couple of weeks, but I've just installed the Wilcom PS-15 that southsound recommended. Internet is working smoothly, and both hub and scout are working correctly. Thanks for the advice and help!

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:48 am

GREAT!!!

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:53 am

cprompt,

Glad to hear that the Wilcom PS-15 worked for you. I am amazed that so many telco/DSL installers don't even know about DSL Splitters, but in our age of everything (DVR, Satellite, Fax, numerous phones) connecting to our phone line, it would be cheaper for most folks to use the PS-15 than using all of the microfilters. In our home, it would have taken 10 of the little buggers.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.