Port forwarding with Ooma?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
tommies
Re: Port forwarding with Ooma?

Post by tommies » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:47 pm

I'm not sure about VPN, haven't use it, if it isn't, you can try some anonimous web proxy.
tommies

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:51 pm

Handy little utility to see what ports are open on the "front end" router (should be your Hub assuming it has the Public IP address).

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Edit: Since you have the Router in the DMZ, this may show the ports that are "open" on the Router?? Never tested since I don't have any open ports on my home network.
Last edited by Aveamantium on Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go AVS!

TonyB

Post by TonyB » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:56 pm

Makes complete sense alright Aveamantium. I wonder if having port forwarding set-up on the Ooma hub might be problematic in my situation. I'll experiment...

Tommies, earlier you said that I should reboot all network devices. Even ones not involved in this communication, like our TV, DirecTV DVR, our laptops, etc?

I can VPN from like a few US locaitons, plus many around the world. I then go to "what's my ip address dot com" and it reflects that I'm in that location. So, I would think that would work. I'll get my mom to try though...

tommies

Post by tommies » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:00 pm

TonyB wrote:
Tommies, earlier you said that I should reboot all network devices. Even ones not involved in this communication, like our TV, DirecTV DVR, our laptops, etc?
Nope, for network devices, I means devices with DHCP server and/or 2+ NIC: that are Modem, router, ooma.
tommies

TonyB

Post by TonyB » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:09 pm

Aveamantium wrote:Handy little utility to see what ports are open on the "front end" router (should be your Hub assuming it has the Public IP address).

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Edit: Since you have the Router in the DMZ, this may show the ports that are "open" on the Router?? Never tested since I don't have any open ports on my home network.
Thanks for the link. I'm not totally certain all that I'm doing there, to be honest... I'll keep playing around with it. I downloaded a pretty slick app from portforward.com, but it won't work on a Mac, so USB'd it over to my work laptop, and due to security software there, it had issues running. It has been like pulling teeth... My wife is off the net now, so I'm going to do another power cycle.

TonyB

Post by TonyB » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:32 pm

A brief, very brief update...

It appears that the my Westell modem (model 6100) is the culprit as it's also a router? I started a thread on a Mac forum, and guy there got me going down that path...

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/forums/viewthread/77804/

Interesting...

TonyB

Post by TonyB » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:27 pm

Still around guys... What an ordeal this has been. I've been struggling to just get back online the past 24 hours after making some recent changes. I'll spare you all the details...

Ok, the Verizon Westell 6100 modem is now in dummy bridge mode. Current set-up for wired & wireless connectivity:

DSL modem -> APE

With good notes as to how I got here (connectivity with modem in bridge mode), including some from Verizon and Apple support, I decided to get the Ooma involved again. We are dry-loop, so have been without a phone (no cell coverage in this canyon)...

With the Ooma inserted in middle again, no connectivity, and the AirPort Utility went amber, with a Double NAT notice. The descriptive language escapes me now, but I believe I need to change some settings on the Ooma now. But, what is the best way to accomplish this (gain access to Ooma set-up)? A couple attempts to connect to 172.27.35.1 yielded no connectivity...

UPDATE -

I decided to "ignore" the double NAT notice in the APE's router utility. Light turned green, but nothing, yet. I guess I had to wait a bit, but eventually the Ooma light turned blue and I had access to Ooma set-up at 172.27.35.1. All phones and computers are online and working well. I am back to everything working as it was, but with the modem in bridge mode now. With full functionality restored, I am now back to attempting to get the surveillance DVR on the web. Before doing so, a question, please...

I still have a double NAT, that I've essentially ignored. What are the ramifications of this action or inaction, with the way things are now, and my objective to get these cameras online? If there is an easy fix, please do share. Oh, here is what the Apple APE had to say about double NAT:

"This Apple wireless device has a private IP address on its Ethernet WAN port. It is connected to a device that is using NAT to provide private IP addresses. You should change your Apple wireless device from using DHCP and NAT to bridge mode."

Thanks for any additional input.