Magic Jack for landline

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
dsinternet
Magic Jack for landline

Post by dsinternet » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:00 am

My point for waiting for the ooma Telo was to get the latest and greatest ooma with a free second phone line. While the Telo is wonderful, the Telo handset is not working out for me. So I will be returning it in about two weeks. This will leave me without a second phone line since the Telo requires the Telo Handset to use many of the Premier services. I am not going to get Premier Service unless I can use my own cordless phone as the second phone line. Until that happens, I was thinking of picking up a Magic Jack and use it as my second phone line. I was wonder how the ooma Telo system would work if I run the Magic Jack into the Telo's landline plug. Would this allow me to make calls using my cordless phone system hooked up to the home phone wiring.
Here is what I am thinking.
Cable modem --> Router --> ooma Telo --> phone wiring into the whole house --> Cordless phone system using one of my home phone jacks. The magic jack would be the following: Computer --> Magic Jack ---> ooma Telo landline.

How would a setup like this work?
If ooma would not require the Telo Handset, then I would have just signed up for Premier. I keep hoping that ooma will make something like the scout for the Telo in the near future.

Davesworld

Re: Magic Jack for landline

Post by Davesworld » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:34 pm

If it even worked, I don't know what you'd accomplish as you still would need a telo handset to be able to make two calls simultaneously. This would have no benefit over just assigning two numbers to the telo to begin with. The second number is only one benefit of premier but obviously important to you.

I wish I knew more about the hardware itself. I'd like to see the second phone port just support a second phone instead of it's current function of landline integration. I have both the hub and scout combo and just picked up a telo and activated it, let it download firmware properly, it seems like a nice unit that will get better. I have no desire to get their Telo handset anytime soon. The thing just seems way too cheesy for me as well as improperly advertised. I'd rather see other manufacturers Dect 6.0 handsets be compatible with the telo. The telo was on sale so I jumped on it.

oldanbo

Post by oldanbo » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:02 pm

dsinternet wrote:My point for waiting for the ooma Telo was to get the latest and greatest ooma with a free second phone line. While the Telo is wonderful, the Telo handset is not working out for me. So I will be returning it in about two weeks. This will leave me without a second phone line since the Telo requires the Telo Handset to use many of the Premier services. I am not going to get Premier Service unless I can use my own cordless phone as the second phone line. Until that happens, I was thinking of picking up a Magic Jack and use it as my second phone line. I was wonder how the ooma Telo system would work if I run the Magic Jack into the Telo's landline plug. Would this allow me to make calls using my cordless phone system hooked up to the home phone wiring.
Here is what I am thinking.
Cable modem --> Router --> ooma Telo --> phone wiring into the whole house --> Cordless phone system using one of my home phone jacks. The magic jack would be the following: Computer --> Magic Jack ---> ooma Telo landline.

How would a setup like this work?
If ooma would not require the Telo Handset, then I would have just signed up for Premier. I keep hoping that ooma will make something like the scout for the Telo in the near future.
I don't know but you may be happy that you won't be returning your handset for a couple of weeks. If you look back at the improvements that ooma has made to them in the past 2 or 3 weeks, things should only get better. I can remember when I was ready to through them in the river, glad now that I didn't.

Cheers

dsinternet

Post by dsinternet » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:00 pm

Looks like I can drop the Magic Jack idea. I was just wondering if it would be like getting an instant second phone line. The answer is no. I hope I can find the magic in the Telo handset soon. Once again, I will state that I hope ooma makes a scout for the Telo. The Telo handset is a new way of thinking of cordless phones and being the first of its kind always give you many bumps in the road.

I agree that ooma is doing their best to improve things. I got the telo handset from Amazon since it was free shipping which made it about $6 cheaper then the ooma site. I realize that if I where to have a Premier service, then I would only really need one telo handset. So my plan is to return the handset I got from Amazon and once it looks like things have improved to the point where it looks like the Telo handset is something everyone would want, I sign up for the year (or lifetime) of premier and get the free Telo handset from ooma.
So I will be sending back the Telo handset, but fully plan on being a Premier user in the future.

oldanbo

Post by oldanbo » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:58 pm

I understand.

My brother bought a magic jack and told me that it is a PITAS.
Neither of us leaves our pc on 24x7.

Regards

tommies

Post by tommies » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:04 pm

Do you try to look on the net if the Hub+Scout combe still availlable some where. The scout will allow to use your own phone set for the second line.

Draw back, the hub hardware does not support inbound DTMF.
tommies

dsinternet

Post by dsinternet » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:00 pm

tommies wrote:Do you try to look on the net if the Hub+Scout combe still availlable some where. The scout will allow to use your own phone set for the second line.

What does "DTMF" stand for?

I got the Telo system before the Handsets came out. I was planning on getting 2 Telo handsets for my system. About 30 days after I got my Telo system set up, I got my first Telo Handset from Amazon. I was shocked at how poor these handsets where. I knew that I was going to return the Telo Handsets, but it was to late to return the Telo system. I held off buying the Ooma system for several months waiting and waiting for the Telo system to be released. Figured newer is better.
Bottom line. I am not spending another $200 on the Hub and another $50+ on switching my system to the Hub, when I already spend $250 on the Telo.
I wish Ooma would support the Scout on the Telo system.

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:10 pm

dsinternet wrote:What does "DTMF" stand for?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-tone_multi-frequency
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

dsinternet

Post by dsinternet » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:15 pm

tommies wrote: Draw back, the hub hardware does not support inbound DTMF.
So what is the advantage of inbound DTMF?

oldanbo

Post by oldanbo » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:36 pm

dsinternet wrote:
tommies wrote:Do you try to look on the net if the Hub+Scout combe still availlable some where. The scout will allow to use your own phone set for the second line.

What does "DTMF" stand for?

I got the Telo system before the Handsets came out. I was planning on getting 2 Telo handsets for my system. About 30 days after I got my Telo system set up, I got my first Telo Handset from Amazon. I was shocked at how poor these handsets where. I knew that I was going to return the Telo Handsets, but it was to late to return the Telo system. I held off buying the Ooma system for several months waiting and waiting for the Telo system to be released. Figured newer is better.
Bottom line. I am not spending another $200 on the Hub and another $50+ on switching my system to the Hub, when I already spend $250 on the Telo.
I wish Ooma would support the Scout on the Telo system.
I don't think that will happen. Telo uses DECT6 and the Hub uses an older technology HPCN or something like that, I forget.