OOMA's Technical Support Team is Terrible

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
mutt
OOMA's Technical Support Team is Terrible

Post by mutt » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:52 am

It is clear that The technical support team is not trained- and are probably 2.00-$3.00/ hr employees.

It is ashame that they are so poorly trained.

The low cost sevice is not worth the ignorant and inconsistent technical service that the OOMA customers Receive.

It Sucks! regardless if the service is free, low cost- technical Service Team is horrible!!!! I recommend that anyone that cares for at least average technical service- not sign up for this service.

They are Trerrible!!!

southsound

Re: OOMA's Technical Support Team is Terrible

Post by southsound » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:30 pm

I have had my ooma hub since February and my Telo since late August. Both of my systems are working very well and when I did have a problem, ooma worked with me and with their partners to take care of everything.

I typically find that posts with your level of disapproval fall into one of several catagories:
1 - Desperation from a person who is probably not technically able to deal with VOIP and should get a refund.
2 - Frustration from having a problem and not posting the details here so we can try to help.
3 - Negative garbage from either a competitor or a troll who has no desire to see ooma prosper for purely selfish reasons. This person may not even own an ooma or it may have been purchased by his/her competing employer for the sole purpose of posting on a user only forum.

Since within minutes of joining the forum you have made two very negative posts with no substantiations or details tells me you are from the 3rd group. Please prove me wrong or go away.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

gregg098

Post by gregg098 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:35 pm

SouthSound, I agree with you to a point, but the sad fact is that Tech Support is utterly worthless. It is really like talking to a wall sometimes. I'm not going into depth about my problems here, but the only way to fix the issue is to bring it up and let the company (ooma) decide on if the constant bad press due to bad customer support is really worth it.

southsound

Post by southsound » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:54 pm

gregg098 wrote:SouthSound, I agree with you to a point, but the sad fact is that Tech Support is utterly worthless. It is really like talking to a wall sometimes. I'm not going into depth about my problems here, but the only way to fix the issue is to bring it up and let the company (ooma) decide on if the constant bad press due to bad customer support is really worth it.
I agree that there have been some bad experiences - when I first bought my ooma support would sometimes have me on hold for 30 minutes. But then things got better with ooma adding more stateside people. Then when they moved initial support personnel to Manila things got very broken again. But they have improved and continue to make progress. As time goes on I am sure they will have better scripting, training, internal knowledgebase access, and the ability to do a live transfer to a higher level technician. They are not there yet.

I am a very happy ooma customer, but if I had to rate the initial support experience I would give it a 6.5 to 7. Once an issue is escalated, it goes up to 8.5 maybe even 9.5. But I know that most of the problems people call about can be solved on this forum. Unless it requires tweaking something on ooma's servers or dealing with a partner, chances are that this forum's awesome members can handle it. I would rate the forum's technical support to be between 9 and 9.8. And all this at no cost to ooma. Just a bunch of really smart people giving back to the ooma community.

The reason I came down hard on the OP was that both posts were totally negative with NO information. Just discontent. And to me that means this person doesn't really want help. In order to post you have the opportunity to see a lot of threads with people being helped. Why just complain without at least posting details of the problem?
Lifetime Premier Member

rwh1955

Post by rwh1955 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:31 pm

I don't agree with the negativity that Mutt uses. With that being said, I know there are some problems that have gone unfixed for several days to a week. Take the issues with "systems" and "preference" in myOoma. There is a forum just for that subject. However, the problem is not fixed. Why does it take so long?

stangale@pacbell.net

Post by stangale@pacbell.net » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:34 pm

I too concur with the name of this thread.

I've spent many hours on the phone with OOMA reps and have found their knowledge and understanding of their own product completely unacceptable.

I'm a technically competent person - can wire a house, build home theaters, setup pc's/networks,debug/maintain computers easily.

I have never experienced such overall poor support in any genre of experience.

My father-in-law told me about OOMA and I decided to try it out.

I guarantee OOMA is the one subject I will NOT be discussing with him over the Holidays.

Dr. Stan Gale
Los Angeles

P.S. The only reason I'm responding to this thread is that I'm extremely angry about how much time OOMA "Support" has wasted for me personally. I'm hoping that somebody in Management reads these posts and steps in to train these incompetent reps.

mutt

Post by mutt » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:45 pm

not a troll. I bought 2 units for 2 homes from radio shack. I hooked 1 up worked fine. Than had issues- spent an entire day wasted on technical support- it is a joke. I am taking both back to Radio shack tomorrow. By the way, I have DSL thru Verizon..so, my speed is fine. i also started to realize that your computer connection goes thru the OOMA Hub, that is some concern as well. Caio- I am no Troll

But, the technical support is terrible----They want to speak with their customers on their time... that is kinda a red flag....

southsound

Post by southsound » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:58 pm

mutt wrote:not a troll. I bought 2 units for 2 homes from radio shack. I hooked 1 up worked fine. Than had issues- spent an entire day wasted on technical support- it is a joke. I am taking both back to Radio shack tomorrow. By the way, I have DSL thru Verizon..so, my speed is fine. i also started to realize that your computer connection goes thru the OOMA Hub, that is some concern as well. Caio- I am no Troll

But, the technical support is terrible----They want to speak with their customers on their time... that is kinda a red flag....
Connecting your ooma hub between your modem and router is only one way to configure the system. Many put it after their router. I have my hub before a switch and my Telo after. I am fairly sure if you would give us an opportunity to help you we could help you solve your issues. I don't work for ooma but I can tell you from the last 10 months here that there are a lot of sharp people here who would be more than willing to help. Often a lot faster (and with better results) than ooma phone support. The offer stands, but I will also understand if you take them back. Sometimes frustration with a product pushes a person past the point where they desire to be.
Lifetime Premier Member

Mike-o-Matic

Post by Mike-o-Matic » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:07 pm

southsound wrote:The reason I came down hard on the OP was that both posts were totally negative with NO information. Just discontent. And to me that means this person doesn't really want help. In order to post you have the opportunity to see a lot of threads with people being helped. Why just complain without at least posting details of the problem?
Well stated, southsound! Some people just wanna vent, I guess, but that's not very productive.
Customer Since: November 2009.
Number Port: ordered 12/14/09; completed 01/07/10.
Hardware: one Hub, one Scout, one Telo.
Service Level: Annual Premier.

mutt

Post by mutt » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:35 am

I will give it a shot, if a tech can answer this post in a timely manner.

I do not want my computer running thru my OOMA device.

I have DSL. I have 2 outlets in the room. I have a Westell Wireless Router/ modem combination.

The instructiona say to hook my computer ethernet cable into the back of the OOMA device..

That is probably a bad ifea, as it will has potential to compromise security.

Other VOIP adapters can bee hooked up downstream of the computer and only through the ROUTER/MODEM.

Also, can a line be hooked back into wall and run a second generic phone thrue the other outlets in the home.

I have DSL service.

Thnx.