telo handset stuck on auto registration

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
turtlebud
telo handset stuck on auto registration

Post by turtlebud » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:25 pm

i have a telo handset that I charged for half hour and am trying to register to the telo base, but it gets stuck on auto registration. i've tried:

1. turning the telo handset off and then back on, then when it goes to auto registration, holding the A down for 5 seconds until it blinks (I've also done this in reverse - holding the A down, then turning on the handset)
2. turning off the handset, holding down the left soft key + 0, then turning the handset back on until it says "auto registration" and holding down the A
3. unplug the telo for 5 seconds, then plug it back in and repeat 1 or 2

none of these cases can get the auto registration to ask me for a PIN. any other suggestions or ideas to try?

Groundhound

Re: telo handset stuck on auto registration

Post by Groundhound » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:33 am

Maybe it needs to charge longer than 30 min. What firmware version on your Telo do you have? Look at http://setup.ooma.com/ > Status at the top of the page.

turtlebud

Post by turtlebud » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:12 pm

I will see what version of software the telo has - need to plug into it later tonight.

one thing that I wanted to report was that I plugged the phone into the base to charge from last night until i got home from work (at least 18 hours). The blue light was one and I saw the battery indicating charging. When I got home, I took it off the base to try and pair it and when I took it off, the battery indicator went to the single bar/sliver. Not sure if that means I have a defective battery that doesn't hold charge or what and whether that has anything to do with it no pairing, but thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone has ideas.

turtlebud

Post by turtlebud » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:00 pm

telo software is Rev: 1.31720

oldanbo

Post by oldanbo » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:22 pm

And the instructions say to charge the handset for how long? ;)

turtlebud

Post by turtlebud » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:10 am

instructions say to charge for at least 30 minutes before attempting to pair and also say that a full charge should take 10 hours.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:42 am

I don't think the charge time is an issue now. Since you've tried all the possible remedies from the handset without success, you may want to try a factory reset of the Telo base. This will return all user configurable parameters in setup to default, so you would want to take note of things like QoS, DMZ, DHCP, or other settings you may have changed and would want to put back in. The reset also clears any existing handset registration with the Telo, which may help in your case:

Procedure for a factory reset on the Telo, this will return all settings to default and wipe the previous handset registration.

1. Unplug the Telo power cord for 30 seconds, then plug back in.

2. As the Telo begins its startup, the 1 & 2 buttons will light up for a short while, followed briefly by the trash and envelope buttons, and then the bottom row of buttons will begin to flash in a scrolling sequence, which will continue approximately 28 times.

3. At the end of the blue flashing bottom row period, the Ooma logo will begin to flash red - IMMEDIATELY hold down the "stop" and "trash" buttons and the Ooma logo will alternatively flash red and blue. Continue to hold down the "stop" and "trash" buttons until the logo turns solid red and then goes out. After the logo goes out release the buttons and the Telo will restart.

You can see a poor quality video of the procedure here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNW7BqAftQw

turtlebud

Post by turtlebud » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:17 am

tried resetting the telo base with no luck. handset will still not register with base. will give ooma a call today and hope they can do something abou it.

turtlebud

Post by turtlebud » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:28 am

so after a month long adventure trying to get in touch with tier 3 support, they approved an rma and sent me a new handset. problem is, this handset doesn't register either. i'm wondering if there is a problem with my telo base now. is that a possibility?

just to recap, this is what I did with the new handset:

1. charged for 24 hours
2. factory reset of base
3. turn on the A on the base
4. factor reset of handset (turn off, turn on, hold 0+left soft key until beep & auto registration shows up)
5. press menu and back a few times (still says auto-reg)
6. press talk key 10 times (still say auto-reg)

i'm at my wits end trying to get this handset to register with the base. why is it so hard??!!

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:44 am

turtlebud wrote:so after a month long adventure trying to get in touch with tier 3 support, they approved an rma and sent me a new handset. problem is, this handset doesn't register either. i'm wondering if there is a problem with my telo base now. is that a possibility?

just to recap, this is what I did with the new handset:

1. charged for 24 hours
2. factory reset of base
3. turn on the A on the base
4. factor reset of handset (turn off, turn on, hold 0+left soft key until beep & auto registration shows up)
5. press menu and back a few times (still says auto-reg)
6. press talk key 10 times (still say auto-reg)

i'm at my wits end trying to get this handset to register with the base. why is it so hard??!!
The only thing that comes to mind is your step 3 above. The "A" (actually an antenna icon) has two functions, one as a handset pager (for finding lost handsets by causing them to ring), and the second, desired function in your case to initiate registration. If you just tap the antenna logo it will start to slowly flash - indicating the page function has been activated. In order to start the activation function you must hold down the icon until it starts to rapidly flash while you are holding it down, which takes about three seconds.