No Caller-ID or Call waiting

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
kamooma
No Caller-ID or Call waiting

Post by kamooma » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:00 am

I just got my device and its activated. However, i have no caller-id or call waiting.
I called support and they said i can't get call waiting in my area. I even got a new phone and still have no caller id. Tonight i checked my call waiting and i have no call waiting either. Please help?? :(

southsound

Re: No Caller-ID or Call waiting

Post by southsound » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:24 am

Did you choose to integrate your existing landline when you set up your ooma or did you opt for a new number from ooma? If you are using a new number from ooma there is no reason why you should not have both call waiting and caller ID - regardless of what area you are from. If you have integrated your landline, it might be a good time to assess why? What benefits were you trying to gain?

Let us know how the system was configured and (if using an integrated landline) and we'll try to help.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

kamooma

Post by kamooma » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:21 pm

I did not port my number to Ooma and i am using my landline as a backup.

southsound

Post by southsound » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:39 am

I'm still a little confused. When you say backup, I see two different possibilities.

- One would be where you have a new ooma number and have a separate phone somewhere for use when the power or Internet goes out. People would need to dial a new ooma telephone number to reach you on your ooma phones.

- The other is where the landline is integrated. In other words, people continue to dial the same number you have always used. In this situation, you have a wired plugged from your wall phone jack to the "wall" port on the ooma.

If you have the latter, in other words, the integrated setup, then you are limited by what features are available from your local telco. If they do not offer (or you have not purchased) call waiting or caller ID, your ooma will not add it. In my mind, there are really very few advantages to setting things up this way. Many of the features that come free with ooma will not work unlesss they are "provisioned" on your landline.

If you have the integrated setup and would like to use the ooma number and get call waiting / caller ID, then you merely need to call tech support at 888 711-6662 and tell them that you want to have them change your setup and give you an ooma number in your area code and prefix. After they make the change you will need to give out your new number to all of your friends. In my case, I have a simple answering machine message on my landline that says, "If you have reached this message, you have dialed our old number. Our new telephone number is 800 555-8355. Please make a note of it for future reference. Again, our new number is 800 555-8355."

If you have additional questions, feel free to post them. And if you do make changes, let us know the results. :cool:
Lifetime Premier Member

kamooma

Post by kamooma » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:50 pm

Thanks Southsound!!!

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:58 pm

kamooma wrote:Thanks Southsound!!!
You are very welcome. And please forgive me for not welcoming you to the ooma forums and to ooma. I think you will like it here. Lots of great people. In fact, I have made some great friends here. Stick around, pull up a seat, and join in where you might be able to answer a question for a new user. And have a very merry Christmas! :cool:
Lifetime Premier Member

jkjflee

Post by jkjflee » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:56 pm

Hello Southsound

I seen some of your post and though you can help me out with my question. I installed ooma a week ago intergrated with my land line. My land line does NOT have call waiting or caller ID. My ooma when I receive calls does not show any caller ID info on my phones which have caller ID capabilities as well as call waiting.

What are your thoughts on how to correct this. I have 47 days left of my trial membership with the premeir service. Also now that I think about it is I also dont have distinct ring calling either.

I have not ported my # over also I do not have the extra phone # ooma assigns out, as that option does not work either.

Thanks

hteinlin

Post by hteinlin » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:49 pm

jk your best option is:

Get an ooma number where you will get all the advertised free features... However you will have to use this new number if you want the features.

or

Order 1 year premier for $99 before the year ends before it goes up to $119. Which comes with free number port.
Once the number is ported you will receive Ooma features on that number.