Unable to find local number

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
jasontschetter
Unable to find local number

Post by jasontschetter » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:53 pm

I don't understand why the "Add a Phone Number" on the website doesn't have a browse capability or return phone numbers in other local exchanges/prefixes than the one I entered? Short of guessing my way through 900+ possible prefixes to find available numbers in my area code and local calling area, can anyone offer a better way?

I called customer service, big disappointment, it sounded like she was looking at the same screen I was. I do know how to read, I wouldn't call customer service if I could already do it on the website.

Bottom-line, I need a number, any number in the 952 area code in the Minneapolis/St. Paul local calling area. Any help?

Thanks!
Jason

dsinternet

Re: Unable to find local number

Post by dsinternet » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:03 pm

When I was setting up my Ooma Telo they gave me a Temp 612 area code while I waited for the port of my 651 area code. The CS people said that I can request a temp 651 area code, but I ended up not wanting it since my port only took 10 days. I was able to live with the 612 temp number for 10 days. Long story short, CS can request any area code for you and will let you know when they find a number for you. I think it takes a few days, but I am sure they could find a 952 area code you want. Another idea would be to sign up for google voice and see if you can find a number you like from them. Ooma will work with google voice in the future. I signed up my whole family with phone numbers that match their birthdays. It is now easy to remember everyones phone number, since its the same (xxx)-xxx-MMDD (MM month, DD day) format.

jasontschetter

Post by jasontschetter » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:45 pm

Perhaps I was just unlucky with my call to CS.

Basically, I am trying to get to one of two options.
1) Preferred, I would like to port my current 952 number to Ooma. CS told me they could not, but perhaps that was incorrect too. That would allow me to host my number with Ooma and eliminate the cost for someone else to do it.
2) Alternate, I would like to get any number in my local calling area, and it can be semi-permanent until GV/Ooma catches up, but 651 doesn't make much sense for west-metro burbs. I can use GV or call forwarding on my current number to get incoming calls to Ooma, but I have to have a number from Ooma to do that.

I suppose it's the price to pay as an early adopter, perhaps someone from CS will pick up the thread and help me find a DID.

Thanks!
Jason

dsinternet

Post by dsinternet » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:24 pm

I don't understand why Ooma can't port your 952 number. Is the 952 number that you want to port from Google or is it from someone else. The person I talked to at Ooma was very helpful and offered me several options about 2 months ago. Maybe another call to Ooma CS will give you more options.

fonfellow

Post by fonfellow » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:44 pm

There are nearly 1200 prefixes in the Twin Cities local calling area with either 612, 651, 763 or 952 area codes. So, even though one area code may seem more local than another, it's all the same local calling area to service providers. This is also the reason why you might not get the area code you requested. Providers are alotted certain numbers, and, as long as the numbers serves the local calling area they can't really guarantee the area code.

dsinternet

Post by dsinternet » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:25 pm

All I can say is that the CS person that I talked said that they could make a "ticket request" for a 651 area and they (ooma) would try to get it for me. If they can do it for 651, then I am sure they could try it for 952. They gave me a 612 number, but said they would try to get a 651 if I wanted it. Like I said before, I did not need to have a temp 651 area code since my 651 porting only took 10 days.
By the way, I have never had a problem with CS. Maybe I am lucky. I have called a few times and everytime they have been very helpful.