Incoming Touch Tone numbers garbled

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
joeed1
Incoming Touch Tone numbers garbled

Post by joeed1 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:33 am

I have a gated entry that calls my house, and I press "9" to let them in. I have been using multi-ring to my cell phone. Then when someone calls from the gate it rings my house phone and cell phone. I used to be able to press "1" to accept the call, then "9" to let them in via the cell phone. I have been doing this for about 8 months now with no problem.

All of a sudden, about a week or so, it hasn't worked. So I tried to isolate the problem.

I turns out that on any incoming call, the touch tone numbers are garbled. Intead of a clean "tone" when a key on the phone is pressed, it gives a kind of garbled "clunck" sound. Which then doesn't open the gate, because the gate is expecting a "9 tone" sound, not a "clunck" sound.

It does this with any incoming call, from a direct incoming cellphone, from a multi-ring phone, and from an incoming land-line.

I tested by calling my house from an outside land-line phone, and repleatedly pressed "9", "9", "9", and the person at my house said they heard "clunck', "clunck", "clunck", instead of "tone", "tone", "tone".

Anybody know what could be causing this? Or anything to try? It's been working perfectly for 8 months, but something happened about a week or so ago that is causing this. And I haven't changed anything on my side as far as phones, multi-ring, hub, router, internet, etc.

I bough the one-year premire earlier this year, and was going to buy the lifetime premire before the year ended to lock in the $350 price. But the main reason I want premire is for this feature to work, otherwise I'd just drop down to the free basic. All I really use my landline for is to let people in from the gate. So this is kind of a deal breaker for me to figure this out before year end, before I commit another $350 for lifetime premier.

ajw522

Re: Incoming Touch Tone numbers garbled

Post by ajw522 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:56 pm

Normally, the Hub does not allow incoming DTMF (touchtone) signals to come through - instead, you would hear the clunk noise, and no gate system or answering machine system would be able to recognize it. The thing that confuses me is that you said it has been working well for 8 months. That's where I am stumped - Ooma Hubs have never been able to receive imcoming DTMFs....

Does the gate system work when you use your cell-phone?
Customer since August 2009
Hardware: Core Telo w/ HD2 Handset;2 ooma Hubs
Lifetime Premier Subscription
iPhone 7 Plus w/Ooma Mobile App
Internet: AT&T U-Verse 50Mbps

joeed2

Post by joeed2 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:08 pm

It's been working since April.

What normally happens is the gate calls my home phone (Ooma), then I press "9" on the home phone. The home phone (Ooma) sends an outgoing DTMF to the gate and opens the gate.

I also have My Ooma profile set to multi-ring to my cellphone. So in this senario, someone calls from the gate and it rings both my home phone (Ooma) and my cellphone. I answer the cellphone, get the announcement to press "1" to accept the call, then press "9" to open the gate. That has worked find since April. But as of about two weeks ago it doesn't.

So, basically, my multi-ring cellphone can't open the gate anymore. The multi-ring cellphone "9" isn't opening the gate. As a matter of fact, I am nowhere near my Hub (or house) for that matter.

Anyone know the details (or chain of events) that happens for a multi-ring phone? How is the "9" tone flowing through the system? The next thing I was going to try was completely disconnect the internet (unplug the HUB and internet modem). So that ONLY the multi-ring cellphone would ring. At that point, the HUB would not be in the picture.

Maybe something happened on Ooma's server side or something.

ajw522

Post by ajw522 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:15 pm

joeed2 wrote:It's been working since April.

What normally happens is the gate calls my home phone (Ooma), then I press "9" on the home phone. The home phone (Ooma) sends an outgoing DTMF to the gate and opens the gate.

I also have My Ooma profile set to multi-ring to my cellphone. So in this senario, someone calls from the gate and it rings both my home phone (Ooma) and my cellphone. I answer the cellphone, get the announcement to press "1" to accept the call, then press "9" to open the gate. That has worked find since April. But as of about two weeks ago it doesn't.

So, basically, my multi-ring cellphone can't open the gate anymore. The multi-ring cellphone "9" isn't opening the gate. As a matter of fact, I am nowhere near my Hub (or house) for that matter.

Anyone know the details (or chain of events) that happens for a multi-ring phone? How is the "9" tone flowing through the system? The next thing I was going to try was completely disconnect the internet (unplug the HUB and internet modem). So that ONLY the multi-ring cellphone would ring. At that point, the HUB would not be in the picture.

Maybe something happened on Ooma's server side or something.
Oops, I must not have read your questions correctly - you are having problems OPENING the gate, not having someone else punch numbers in. My bad - I was talking about INComing DTMF and your talking about Outgoing..

When you have Multi-Ring, I doubt even with the HUB plugged in, it has anything to do with the problem. Everything is going through Ooma's servers, and usually not the Hub. If you continue having problems, I guess you should try contacting Customer Service. Although they are usually not very helpful (by personal experience) sometimes, you get lucky and they can fix the problem 888-711-6662. Please let me know if you find anything else out or find out a fix.

Hopefully someone else with better knowledge about Multi-Ring will chime in here, or maybe Dennis or Bobby.
Customer since August 2009
Hardware: Core Telo w/ HD2 Handset;2 ooma Hubs
Lifetime Premier Subscription
iPhone 7 Plus w/Ooma Mobile App
Internet: AT&T U-Verse 50Mbps

joeed2

Post by joeed2 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:24 pm

This started working again about a week ago. I have been able to open the gate three or four times over the last week with multi-ring to my cellphone. Dial "1" to accept the call, then "9" to open the gate. So, something must have been fixed somewhere. Don't know where, but I'm glad it is fixed.

amoney

Post by amoney » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:12 pm

joeed2 wrote:This started working again about a week ago. I have been able to open the gate three or four times over the last week with multi-ring to my cellphone. Dial "1" to accept the call, then "9" to open the gate. So, something must have been fixed somewhere. Don't know where, but I'm glad it is fixed.
Sounds like it was trying to "PULSE" dial rather than "tone". Perhaps the call was being routed througha crappy ooma partner carrier.

Thats all that I can come up with.

Note you said you were on your cell pone. So just for info, your using cellular network combined with Ooma VOIP with the origination landline -phone of the gate.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G