Want to use my inside wiring. Did I choose the right option?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Fis
Want to use my inside wiring. Did I choose the right option?

Post by Fis » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:05 pm

Just got the Ooma Hub after an Ooma phone rep had assured me that it would work with the inside wiring in my home. Now I'm not sure if I'm doing the right things.

BACKGROUND

My home setup: Broadband via cable modem & router. Basic Verizon local phone service with inside wiring to 10 extensions. I have never used VoIP before.

WHAT I'M TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH

I have no interest in the "enhanced" features. Heck, I don't even really need callerID or voicemail. I simply want to replace my basic Verizon phone service, save money, and have minimal hassle.

OOMA SETUP

Before cancelling my local phone service or porting my number, I want to make sure that the Ooma works and that my family will be satisfied with the service quality, so I registered/activated the Hub and chose the option "I would like to use the Ooma system with my current phone provider."

I have the Hub connected to the router via the MODEM jack, and the phone line connected to the WALL jack. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do next.

Now I see this page in the Ooma knowledgebase:
http://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeba ... hone-jacks
Perhaps I'm reading it wrong, but it seems to suggests that I can't use my inside wiring without first disconnecting my phone service.

Groundhound

Re: Want to use my inside wiring. Did I choose the right option?

Post by Groundhound » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:03 pm

IMHO, if your ultimate goal is to eliminate your landline you should not choose to integrate the landline with Ooma, but instead get an Ooma number assigned and keep your landline separate while you're testing Ooma. If you decide to port your landline number over to Ooma it will replace the number Ooma assigned to you. If you decide to remove landline integration you will need to get customer service to do it and assign you an Ooma number.

While you're testing Ooma without landline integration before you port or discontinue your landline, you can use your house wiring to distribute Ooma dialtone to all your jacks, you just need to disconnect the landline from your wiring at the demarc box outside your home.

oldanbo

Post by oldanbo » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:14 pm

Groundhound wrote:IMHO, if your ultimate goal is to eliminate your landline you should not choose to integrate the landline with Ooma, but instead get an Ooma number assigned and keep your landline separate while you're testing Ooma. If you decide to port your landline number over to Ooma it will replace the number Ooma assigned to you. If you decide to remove landline integration you will need to get customer service to do it and assign you an Ooma number.

While you're testing Ooma without landline integration before you port or discontinue your landline, you can use your house wiring to distribute Ooma dialtone to all your jacks, you just need to disconnect the landline from your wiring at the demarc box outside your home.
Groundhound wound it up in a nutshell. IE: He is exactly correct. I assume (and we all know what that spells) that you do not have premier service. Regardless, that just presents another possibility, ditto what groundhound said.

byersthja

Post by byersthja » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:07 am

Just remember, do not cancel your Verizon account. When you port your number, you will kept up-to-date by Ooma through email. When the port completes, your Verizon account will be canceled automatically. You can always call them after the port completes successfully to make sure the account has been closed. If you cancel prior to the port completing, you run a high risk of losing your phone number.

AStack75

Post by AStack75 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:34 am

If I understand the original poster's question...

You can use/test your inside wiring before cancelling service.

I have Comcast but I believe the wiring is similar. You Verizon cable modem probably has an RJ-11 cable going to a wall jack. Just unplug this cable from your cable modem and plug it into your Ooma "Wall" jack and you should be good to go. Assuming your Ooma connection is working (i.e. activated and wired correctly), you should be able to use any of your house phones on the Ooma. Just keep in mind that when it's setup like this, your Verizon phone service won't work until you plug that RJ-11 cable back into your cable modem jack.

EDIT: Correction. I meant to say Just unplug this cable from your cable modem and plug it into your Ooma "Phone" jack and you should be good to go. I incorrectly said "Wall" Jack.

Fis

Post by Fis » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:14 pm

OK I got Ooma to assign a phone number. Am I correct that I still can't test the service without either a) connecting a phone directly to the Hub, or b) disconnecting Verizon service at the demarc?

(I tried connecting a phone directly to the Scout, but that didn't work)

Separate question: Will my old-fashioned wall phones be DOA now? You know, the kind that get their power from the phone line? We have two of them. This could be a deal breaker, unfortunately.

southsound

Post by southsound » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:25 pm

AStack75 wrote:If I understand the original poster's question...
Just unplug this cable from your cable modem and plug it into your Ooma "Phone" jack and you should be good to go. I incorrectly said "Wall" Jack.
The OP does not currently use VoIP from his/her cable company - they are using a landline from the telco, Verizon.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

southsound

Post by southsound » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:29 pm

Fis wrote:OK I got Ooma to assign a phone number. Am I correct that I still can't test the service without either a) connecting a phone directly to the Hub, or b) disconnecting Verizon service at the demarc?
That is correct. You will need to plug a corded phone or cordless base station into the phone jack on the hub to test it. Or, as you mentioned in b, you could go to the demark and unplug the little wire that you disconnect when you want to test if the telco is supplying good quality dialtone. You could even use a male to male coupler on that little cable and run a longer cord to your hub's phone jack for a test of all the phones in the house. Do not connect to the female jack - that is the connection that goes to Verizon.
(I tried connecting a phone directly to the Scout, but that didn't work)
The scout connects wall jack to wall jack with the hub - but for now, I would stick with the hub for testing purposes. We can get you up and running with the scout later.
Separate question: Will my old-fashioned wall phones be DOA now? You know, the kind that get their power from the phone line? We have two of them. This could be a deal breaker, unfortunately.
It depends on how "old fashioned" they are. If they have rotary dials, they are not compatible with ooma. But if they are the standard 2500 WE phones with touchtone (DTMF) then they will work great!
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Fis

Post by Fis » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:18 pm

southsound wrote:Will my old-fashioned wall phones be DOA now? You know, the kind that get their power from the phone line?
It depends on how "old fashioned" they are. If they have rotary dials, they are not compatible with ooma. But if they are the standard 2500 WE phones with touchtone (DTMF) then they will work great!
That's great news. I had a sudden panic that these phones might no longer receive power once I disconnected Verizon.

oldanbo

Post by oldanbo » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:56 pm

Fis wrote:
southsound wrote:Will my old-fashioned wall phones be DOA now? You know, the kind that get their power from the phone line?
That's great news. I had a sudden panic that these phones might no longer receive power once I disconnected Verizon.
Wasn't the wall phone the 2554? I could be wrong, it's been almost 40 years.