Disabling OOMA NAT

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
inder
Disabling OOMA NAT

Post by inder » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:19 am

I have installed my Ooma Telo directly to my cable modem, and my Apple Time Capsule is sitting behind Telo. However, now my Apple Time Capsule complains that there is double NAT in the system. I prefer that my Time Capsule keeps providing the NAT service. How do I disable OOMA Telo's NAT?

Thanks
Inder

Groundhound

Re: Disabling OOMA NAT

Post by Groundhound » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:36 am

inder wrote:I have installed my Ooma Telo directly to my cable modem, and my Apple Time Capsule is sitting behind Telo. However, now my Apple Time Capsule complains that there is double NAT in the system. I prefer that my Time Capsule keeps providing the NAT service. How do I disable OOMA Telo's NAT?
You can't disable Ooma's DHCP server, but you can limit it to assign only one address by changing the start and end address to be the same in DHCP configuration in Telo's setup.
The address Telo assigns to your Time Capsule by default is in the 172.27.35.xx range and is probably different than the range your Time Capsule assigns to your network devices behind it, so it should not cause a problem with double NAT.

highq

Post by highq » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:14 am

I don't see how that disables NAT at all. The Telo is still translating anything on this pool of a single address on its HOME port to the IP address on its Internet port.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:12 pm

highq wrote:I don't see how that disables NAT at all. The Telo is still translating anything on this pool of a single address on its HOME port to the IP address on its Internet port.
I doesn't disable NAT. AFAIK that can't be done on either the Ooma Hub or Telo. As long as the Ooma device is issuing an IP to the router's WAN port that is on a different range than those issued by your router to the router's LAN ports it should not cause a problem.

If you have special port forwarding needs that cannot be handled by the port forwarding or DMZ functions in the Ooma device, you should run the Ooma device behind the router with nothing attached to Ooma's home port.

pmaggan

Post by pmaggan » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:08 pm

inder wrote:I have installed my Ooma Telo directly to my cable modem, and my Apple Time Capsule is sitting behind Telo. However, now my Apple Time Capsule complains that there is double NAT in the system. I prefer that my Time Capsule keeps providing the NAT service. How do I disable OOMA Telo's NAT?

Thanks
Inder

I believe all you should have to do is to go into setup.ooma.com, click on Advanced, make sure the default Home Port IP address is: 172.27.35.1 with the netmask at 255.255.255.0. The DHCP Configuration section should be set to: 172.27.35.10 for BOTH Start and End. This will force the ooma Telo to assign 172.27.35.10 to your Time Capsule and then your Time Capsule will assign IPs for everything else connected to it. I think the Time Capsule will also have to be set to the same netmask: 255.255.255.0, but I'm not 100% certain of that. Hope this helps.