Want to use my inside wiring. Did I choose the right option?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
southsound
Re: Want to use my inside wiring. Did I choose the right option?

Post by southsound » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:10 pm

oldanbo wrote: Wasn't the wall phone the 2554? I could be wrong, it's been almost 40 years.
Great memory, Dan. Indeed it was. Here is a picture of it for old time's sake.

And for the sake of nostalgia, remember this?

ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Fis

Post by Fis » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:25 am

oldanbo wrote: Wasn't the wall phone the 2554? I could be wrong, it's been almost 40 years.
LOL no, not that old, but I do have a couple of wall-mounted Trimlines that aren't near a power outlet. Happy to see they'll keep working with the Ooma. There's a lot of deep snow between me and my demarc right now, but I plan to plow my way to it this weekend.

Fis

Post by Fis » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:47 am

I got to the demarc point, disconnected Verizon, and then a little trial and error got me working.
I was confused for a bit because I was connecting from the wall jack to the jack marked WALL on the back of the Ooma Hub.
It only worked by connecting to the jack marked PHONE on the back of the Hub.
Will now go test the other jacks and try to set up 1 Scout. :-)

Fis

MAKING PROGRESS, BUT MORE QUESTIONs

Post by Fis » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:02 pm

MAKING PROGRESS, BUT MORE QUESTIONS:

1) Adding a Scout: My Hub is in an inconvenient location, by my router. While my phones are all connected via inside wiring, I would like to set up my one Scout in a convenient place for checking voicemail. How do I connect the Scout when I'm using my inside wiring? Just plugging it into a wall jack did nothing (and when I tried to connect a phone through it, it was dead). I just got solid red lights.

2) Call waiting appears to work the same as it did with my land line. Is this going to continue to work when my Premier trial ends?

3) Before I bought this thing, I was told by the Ooma rep that I can have my number to ring to my cell phone when the power is out or the broadband is not working. I see this setting at MyOoma under Call Forwarding. Does this feature disappear when my Premier trial ends ?!?

4) I wanted to test the call forwarding, so I unplugged the Ooma and then called the Ooma number. Instead of Call Forwarding, I got my Ooma voicemail. Does that make sense? How do I test Call Forwarding?

southsound

Re: MAKING PROGRESS, BUT MORE QUESTIONs

Post by southsound » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:27 pm

Fis wrote:MAKING PROGRESS, BUT MORE QUESTIONS:

1) Adding a Scout: My Hub is in an inconvenient location, by my router. While my phones are all connected via inside wiring, I would like to set up my one Scout in a convenient place for checking voicemail. How do I connect the Scout when I'm using my inside wiring? Just plugging it into a wall jack did nothing (and when I tried to connect a phone through it, it was dead). I just got solid red lights.
The scout makes an excellent voicemail station. We can get you up and running with the scout by using a separate pair of wires in your phone cable after you have your system configured to not use the integrated option. Many folks have done this successfully. The reason for your current problem with it is that the scout communicates with the hub using HPNA and HPNA does not play well with DSL.
2) Call waiting appears to work the same as it did with my land line. Is this going to continue to work when my Premier trial ends?
Yes - call waiting is a basic feature and will work well without Premier.
3) Before I bought this thing, I was told by the Ooma rep that I can have my number to ring to my cell phone when the power is out or the broadband is not working. I see this setting at MyOoma under Call Forwarding. Does this feature disappear when my Premier trial ends ?!?
Yes. Call forwarding, multi-ring, and even forward on outage are all Premier features. You might want to consider using Google Voice as a front end to your ooma number and give the GV number out as your main number. Then if the system is down or power is out you can answer it on another forwarded phone.
4) I wanted to test the call forwarding, so I unplugged the Ooma and then called the Ooma number. Instead of Call Forwarding, I got my Ooma voicemail. Does that make sense? How do I test Call Forwarding?
It takes a while for the system to take your forwarding number - and it also takes up to a couple of minutes to recognize that the ooma is off-line.
Merry Christmas!
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Fis

Post by Fis » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:21 pm

Re point #1: I am on cable -- not DSL. Does that matter?

Re point #3: How can forward on outage possibly be a Premier feature? That's the most basic requirement for disconnecting from a land line. Plus the Ooma phone agent completely misrepresented things to me. Is your whole business model based on advertising a free service then tricking them into the $10/mo service?

oldanbo

Post by oldanbo » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:42 pm

Fis wrote:
LOL no, not that old, but I do have a couple of wall-mounted Trimlines that aren't near a power outlet. Happy to see they'll keep working with the Ooma. There's a lot of deep snow between me and my demarc right now, but I plan to plow my way to it this weekend.
See, told ya I was old. I was an installer then repairman from '71 to '76. So it was only 34 years ago. Glad to hear that you are getting your issue resolved.

Southsound, that hardhat, yeah that's the trick. The paint job on my van matched that. Go figure! :D

Merry Christmas Everone

Fis

Post by Fis » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:27 pm

Nobody seemed to want to respond to my last post Friday. So let me ask this: if you don't have Premier, and the power goes out, what do callers hear? Just your normal voicemail greeting?

dsinternet

Post by dsinternet » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:54 pm

Fis wrote:Nobody seemed to want to respond to my last post Friday. So let me ask this: if you don't have Premier, and the power goes out, what do callers hear? Just your normal voicemail greeting?
It looks like it will be moving to basic service in the near future. Here is a link to a forum talking about it.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5401&p=38176&hilit= ... ure#p38176

oldanbo

Post by oldanbo » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:22 pm

Fis wrote:Nobody seemed to want to respond to my last post Friday. So let me ask this: if you don't have Premier, and the power goes out, what do callers hear? Just your normal voicemail greeting?
Sorry Fis, remember this is a holiday weekend so responses may be slower than usual.
Check myooma.com
preferences
call fwd
call fwd mode and select
call fwd on ntwk outage and enter the number you want calls forwarded to.

I don't remember if this is a premier only feature, but I doubt that it is.
It is also based on the assumption on my part that you lose all internet access when you lose power.

You may want to research getting a UPS for your ooma and cable/dsl modem. I don't know your setup, but maybe the aforementioned will help.

Cheers